Delicious Library 2 GUI will push the envelope

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Theocacao: New Entries for Apple Design Awards 2007

In this topic about potential Apple Design Award winners Scott Stevenson says this about DL2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevenson

I saved the best for last. Delicious Library 2 does walk amongst us, but it hasn't been shown the general public yet. I've seen it and, simply put, the Delicious guys don't mess around. I'm looking forward to this app for three reasons. One, it's going to be an awesome app for me personally. Two, it's going make Windows users want Macs, and Tiger users want Leopard. Three, it's going to be a major eye-opener for Mac developers.

This last point is important. Whatever you thought was state-of-the-art in Tiger is going to be blown to bits with all of the new API available in Leopard. You'll have Delicious Monster to thank for hacking a path through the jungle for you. The bar is going to be raised even higher for a top-tier Mac app, though, so be ready.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

So...does that whet your apetite? It does mine. I can't wait for this app. Well, yes I can..I want DL2 shipped when it's ready. It's going to get heavy use from me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Excellent News!

Wil Shipley is the King and I shall be purchasing Library V2 along with Leopard ( if D-M manages to get it out the gate around the same time). I canny wait to see what he's got up his sleeve.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I'm willing to bet we won't see or hear details until WWDC. I hope I'm wrong though
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    And update from Scott Stevenson

http://theocacao.com/document.page/471

Quote:

Delicious Library 2 will allow you to automatically export your library to the web, meaning instead of just you looking at your shelves, everyone else on the web can see them, and the contents is automatically updated as you go. Now that's just the what of the feature. It's the how that's really going to please. This is true Delicious-flavored stuff — nothing less than the exceptional.

The other gap from Delicious Library 1 was the iTunes library had no presence on the shelves, so you were only seeing a portion of your total media selection. Delicious Library 2 has iTunes integration, and does it without trying to be an iTunes replacement. For me, this helps me discover music I forgot I had.

Sweet...I'll never pine for DVD Profiler again

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdpro/Info.aspx

DL2 will be sexier and "lickable" and give us all the features we need to organize and display our library.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I get more and more sceptical about how GUI developments improve things at all. I find that I'm more productive in programs that use decade-old interfaces.

I notice in the new version of Toast they have animated the windows opening and things. CS3 has an animated fade when it goes into the background. To me it just means I have to wait an extra second or two every time I do something. It looks nice for the first month or so but once you see it a hundred times, it just gets tiresome.

I don't mind interface improvements that simplify or add structure to things but we rarely see anything groundbreaking beyond what we already have.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I get more and more sceptical about how GUI developments improve things at all. I find that I'm more productive in programs that use decade-old interfaces.

I notice in the new version of Toast they have animated the windows opening and things. CS3 has an animated fade when it goes into the background. To me it just means I have to wait an extra second or two every time I do something. It looks nice for the first month or so but once you see it a hundred times, it just gets tiresome.

I don't mind interface improvements that simplify or add structure to things but we rarely see anything groundbreaking beyond what we already have.

Agree. I want to be blown away by functionality. Not interface.

Since we are on the topic of DL, I am the only one who thinks that this app is overrated? Its a cool media database/inventory app, but nothing more.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Since we are on the topic of DL, I am the only one who thinks that this app is overrated? Its a cool media database/inventory app, but nothing more.

That's what I keep thinking too. It does have the feature that connects to Amazon and can give you the current value of your stuff as well as scanning barcodes via isight but even so, it's still just for cataloging DVDs, games etc, which I don't really do.

It actually disappoints me to see software like this because if the developer is so talented then I would far rather see him work on something more important like the Finder or something.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    That's just it..the Finder isn't important.

People who sit around and pine for some magic bullet for Finder bliss will be waiting forever for that train. Apple hasn't mislead anyone here. The future is clearly headed towards metadata. Now the Finders ability to copy files or handle network volumes does need improvements but these won't be Earth Shattering by any means.

As for DL2, I don't see why I can't have a great UI and a very functional app. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I need a library manager that allows me to input my CD, DVD, Books and other pieces of media. A web front end is nice to have for displaying my library to the rest of the world and good import/export options would be nice as well. Let's be honest ..it's a $50 app. It's not going to change your life or make your a better person. It'll make your library more organized.

I don't even have that many DVD yet I literally forget that I own certain movies. Now imagine owning 500 movies. Over on AVS there are people that own over 2000 movies. No one can keep track of that size of a collection without help.

Developing doesn't have to be mundane and boring. The Macintosh ethos is "make it beautiful and make it functional"

If I wanted boring and drab I'd be running Windows.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    [QUOTE=hmurchison; Let's be honest ..it's a $50 app. It's not going to change your life or make your a better person. [/QUOTE]

Its not worth $50. Not by any stretch. I do own the app. Its very cool. With that being said, neither camera on my MacBook or iMac aren't very good at scanning bar codes. The Amazon.com link is good but not always accurate (not to mention the amount of work involved in finding pictures for old stuff that isn't on Amazon.com).

The biggest problem I found is that once I categorized both my video game and DVD collections (~75 games and ~200 movies/box sets), I stop using the app. I never bothered with my music or book collections. Not a good thing.

Again, I think it is a very cool app. Very overrated though. Not much use once you categorized you collection.

Just my two cents.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The future is clearly headed towards metadata.

I think the use of metadata will increase but it can't replace a filesystem browser. The reason for this would be that the OS would have to sort everything internally like iphoto does. People including me just won't use programs like that because that system doesn't work well enough. I had that experience today searching through emails. I had about 1000+ emails to search through and Spotlight hardly indexed any of them. Grep wasn't that much slower and it returned the results needed.

Quote:

As for DL2, I don't see why I can't have a great UI and a very functional app. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You're right but more often I find that a highly graphical UI reduces the functionality of good apps. Like I say, all the Cocoa apps I use with the fancy cocoa interfaces all take more than about 3 bounces to launch. Ones with older UIs (mainly open source tools) launch nearly instantly. I'm actually surprised sometimes at the amount of times that I have to go to the command line to get things done quickly enough. It never used to be that way.

Quote:

I don't even have that many DVD yet I literally forget that I own certain movies. Now imagine owning 500 movies. Over on AVS there are people that own over 2000 movies. No one can keep track of that size of a collection without help.

But it's only categorizing references to the movies. If you're talking about actual DVDs, those 2000 or so have to be stored somewhere in order to access them. Even if you have a nice app to list them all, you still have to find the disc. This means you have to sort the actual DVDs and likely in alphabetical order. But doing this means they are in order anyway so there's little need for an application like DL. If you rip the DVDs to a drive, you can use Spotlight. I suppose DL might be useful if you wanted to see all movies by a particular director or something but again, it doesn't seem that important.

Quote:

Developing doesn't have to be mundane and boring. The Macintosh ethos is "make it beautiful and make it functional"

... and make it slooow. So slow that PC users will look over your shoulder at your £2000 workstation, watch while you wait for an app to bounce 5 or 6 times and humiliate you by saying 'it's a bit slow isn't it'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave k

The biggest problem I found is that once I categorized both my video game and DVD collections (~75 games and ~200 movies/box sets), I stop using the app. I never bothered with my music or book collections. Not a good thing.

I did the same thing. I thought it was great the first time I used it and I indexed nearly everything in my house but I haven't used it again.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Dave

I'll agree with you. I think DL isn't a very useful app but I was lucky to get it via MacHeist for a good price and I'll support Delicious Monster with an upgrade to DL2 because it finally will bring some features that I definitely need (Web features and the iTunes stuff sounds interesting)

It's still not going to be for everyone. I'm ok with that. My eventual goal is to have as much of my media collection hidden. I will rip every CD that I own and store the discs away for safe keeping.

It'll be a while before I can do this with my HD discs. I realize my needs have to be catered to by a niche product. DL2 is that product.