Boot Camp - Vista shut down??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, after putting myself through hell trying to update Vista, I encountered a few problems. the first few times I installed updates, it would tell me to restart the computer, so I would hit the button in the window and it wouldn't do anything. Tried going through the start menu, didn't do anything. tried logging out, didnt do anything. Finally after trying everything, I did a hard reboot . rebooted back into windows and it said more updates needed to be installed. Now this time before it finished with making the restore point, it just kept looping the animation. After a half hour, I tried all that I mentioned above, but again, nothing, hard reboot #2. Third time, I'm kind of pissed at this point, the installs go through and it tells me to restart here we go again. This time the restart button worked, kind of. Now, instead of rebooting the computer, it went into sleep mode. I wake the computer up, to find my background present, and that's it. I left it for over an hour and finally decided it was time again...for a hard reboot . After getting back into winblows, I can not shut down the computer from windows. When I hit the shut down button my computer goes to sleep, and when I wake it up, I get the background with noting else and I need to do a hard restart. I can restart the computer from the start menu, but then I have to go into OS X and then goto shut down, a real pain in the ass. Has anyone else encountered anything like this? Is it a known issue, or is something wrong with my install?

Also I have noticed that when I get back into OS X the time is WAY off and it's a real pain in the ass to fix. I don't think I happens all the time, but it really gets me nuts. Has anyone herd of this issue as well?

I think I realize why Apple developed boot camp. To remind switches how bad Winblows is and to show people that aren't to familiar with it, how bad a PC can really be. Good job Apple letting the masses know. Hopefully people start to see the difference and make the switch on a larger scale. I wanted to kick my computer for the past few days now all because of Winblow, and my video card being fucked up. I need to take that in to Apple and get it checked. **end of rant/questions**

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gwoodpeckergwoodpecker Posts: 367member
    What amount of updates did you have to install? When I installed Vista on a MacBook a few weeks ago, I didn't have one single problem with either the installation or the updates (of which less than 10 had to be installed). Of course back then the updated BootCamp drivers didn't exist yet, so the keyboard and mouse, brightness contro etc. didn't work yet, but now they work perfectly.

My suggestion: if you have the time, delete the Vista partition using BootCamp assistant instead of spending hours and hours trying to fix the damn shutdown problem. Then, as a precaution, reset the SMC and PRAM before doing anything further. Then start the computer in OS X, create a new BootCamp partition, reboot again, insert the vista DVD, press "alt" and select the DVD. Then install vista again. And be sure to update the system ONLY when it has been freshly rebooted (like on the Mac, gives the least problems).

Re: the time issue: it is still not fixed yet and a lot of people (including myself) are angry about that. Maybe there will be a solution soon.

Re: graphics card: you know that there is an issue with the native 1920*1200 resolution of the 23" displays under bootcamp?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

What amount of updates did you have to install? When I installed Vista on a MacBook a few weeks ago, I didn't have one single problem with either the installation or the updates (of which less than 10 had to be installed). Of course back then the updated BootCamp drivers didn't exist yet, so the keyboard and mouse, brightness contro etc. didn't work yet, but now they work perfectly.

My suggestion: if you have the time, delete the Vista partition using BootCamp assistant instead of spending hours and hours trying to fix the damn shutdown problem. Then, as a precaution, reset the SMC and PRAM before doing anything further. Then start the computer in OS X, create a new BootCamp partition, reboot again, insert the vista DVD, press "alt" and select the DVD. Then install vista again. And be sure to update the system ONLY when it has been freshly rebooted (like on the Mac, gives the least problems).

Re: the time issue: it is still not fixed yet and a lot of people (including myself) are angry about that. Maybe there will be a solution soon.

Re: graphics card: you know that there is an issue with the native 1920*1200 resolution of the 23" displays under bootcamp?

Well, I've pretty much had it with Vista. I found out now that my audio interface does not have drivers yet, Cubase SX3 is NOT supported in Vista, and some of the plugins are not compatible. I hate Craposoft even more now lol. I have decided to go with an OS that I know works better then Vista, I know everything I need to install, works, and, yeah lol. XP Pro SP2 integrated is what I'm going with. It is going to look like absolute garbage, I HATE the blue bar, I hate the HUGE red X, I pretty much hate everything about it, but I'll do what I have to do. Maybe by DesktopX or Window Blinds and see what themes I can find that are worth using (99% of them are crap).

Yeah the clock thing kind of sux, it's really not that big of a deal though I guess.

I did not know that it was an issue. I have called Apple a few times about my card over heating, they told me to bring it in, so I'll see what happens when I get a few days where I can drop it off. I swear when the x1900 XT gets hot and the fan kicks in, this thing sounds like it's about to take off, rip through my case, and cuts someones head off. It's LOUD lol.