Questions about Aperature

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm thinking of getting Aperature. I use iPhoto now but I don't like having my work photos, which are medical in nature, mixed in with my personal home photos. iPhoto won't support multiple libraries and supposedly Aperature does. I thought about importing all my work photos into aperature and keeping my personal home stuff in iPhoto but have read that Aperature and iphoto don't play well together and was wondering if others have found this to be true. Also will front row work with Aperature? I'm really starting to like that little app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I too thought Aperture or iPhoto was an either/or proposition until I watched the seminar linked here.

http://www.apertureprofessional.com/...ead.php?t=1448

Watch it and you'll see that you can setup a nice workflow that leverages iPhoto where you need it and Aperture where it is best applied.

This Aperture site is nice as well but fairly new I believe.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Thanks Murch. Viewed the video and it helped. Still one thing I want to do that is perhaps unique to me, is that I want to bring part of my iPhoto library (the medical images) into Aperature and get it out of iPhoto. The instructional video talked about how the library can be referenced in Aperature and esentially left in iPhoto so that you don't duplicate images and eat up hard drive space. That makes sense for a lot of users I just want to 'divorce' my home stuff, the kids, vacations and dogs stuff, from my gory work photos. I also would like to expand the metadata I can tag to the work photos so that I can search for them more effectively.

Maybe a trip to the genius bar is needed.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    iPhoto does support multiple libraries. Press option key while starting up iPhoto and it will ask you to chose a library or create a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

iPhoto does support multiple libraries. Press option key while starting up iPhoto and it will ask you to chose a library or create a new one.

When you do this can you see both libraries(in the source list on the left side) and pick the one you want to use? Is it easy to move between them?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

When you do this can you see both libraries(in the source list on the left side) and pick the one you want to use? Is it easy to move between them?

You get three buttons: quit, create library and choose library. If you click choose library you get the standard file picker dialog box with which you can navigate to the library you want. It could be easier, but not a lot easier. Try it.