"Study: iPods can make pacemakers malfunction"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
CNN Story

Interesting story of a 17 year old who did a study on iPods and the interference they can cause to a pacemaker. Everything is very preliminary and he only tested iPods, no other MP3 players.

So just to be safe, tell grandpa not to put his iPod in his shirt pocket!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Grandpa, my hairy white tush! I'm only 36 and have an implanted defibrillator(ICD)! Now get off my lawn!

Pretty much any electronic device held too close to a pacemaker or ICD may cause interference. Odd thing is, I've never noticed any with my iPod, even when I hold it near my chest to watch a video...

Guess it depends on the model. The manufacturers are always improving EM resistance as well, for instance, microwaves are no longer a danger with the newer models.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    What? An consumer electronic device held in close proximity to a pace maker can cause it to malfunction? I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I say.

Aren't people with pacemakers told not to hold such devices next to their pacemaker as a general principle?

Reading the article, I'm glad the kid was apparently under the supervision of his physician father while doing this. I sure hope he got proper informed consent from his participants.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I was not told to keep such devices away from my pacemaker. However, I was told that I WOULD set off the security devices at the airports. After two years of frequent travel, I have NEVER set off the alarms. So, can't be too sensitive!