Mac or PC? Need your help!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi there I need your opinion on something.

A friend of mine needs to get a computer, just for simple stuff...minor photo editing, internet browsing, emails, MS Office stuff...Her budget is around $700 CAN max.

I found a used Mac mini with a 1.66 ghz intel core duo chip, upgraded to 80gig (which I agree lacks but Hardrive isn't a big issue) hardrive, 2gb of ram for $700

She wants all legit software including the operating system.

The mac apparantly is barely used in the office that is selling it but they must keep the receipt for accounting purposes but I can get a photocopy of it.

I was wondering am I better off getting a Dell or HP computer for the same price range for her needs or is the Mac mini a good deal for that price? (with the same upgrades on the mac site after tax it will be around $1100-1200)

Please advise.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    stuff99stuff99 Posts: 6member
    To put things into perspective this is the Dell computer that she can get with that price range:

Processor:

Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System:

Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium

Memory:

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache?

CD or DVD Drive:

16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Video Cards:

Free Upgrade to 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE with Turbo Cache - $60 Value

Sound Cards:

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

The dell comes with a keyboard and mouse as well as a dvd burner which the mac mini doesnt come with.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    Had you been talking about any other Mac, I would have recommended it. But I am not a particularly huge fan of the Mac Mini. It is very under-powered and non-upgradeable.

I would recommend the Dell in your case. However, I think you ought to let your friend use Mac OS X before opting for either computer. I, personally, would never prefer to buy a computer I cannot (legally) run Mac OS X on.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post

A friend of mine needs to get a computer, just for simple stuff...minor photo editing, internet browsing, emails, MS Office stuff...Her budget is around $700 CAN max.

Consider a used Power Mac on eBay. I just looked, and a dual 1 GHz PPC is selling for $399, buy-it-now price, not a bid. This is about what I am typing on now, and my applications are about what you describe.

The advantage is lower cost, 443.25 Canadian dollars. It runs Universal Mac software and Tiger just fine. Leopard will work too. There is no down side that I can see. If she likes it and someday buys a new Mac, all her Universal software will still work, and she saves some dollars now.

Think about it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    A mac mini with those specs (both memory and HD... 80GB doesn't run out any other way than storage of video or serious photography) is dang near perfect for the uses you describe.

The referenced Dell has faster graphics, which isn't noticeable in any of the intended uses. It also has half the memory, which is significant. It has a fast enough dualcore processor. How fast exactly, doesn't make a difference. Probably pretty much on the level with the mini's Core 2 that has way better efficiency but slower front side bus.

The mini represents newer, low power mobile technology and is pretty much silent. Most towers will make noise. (Wasn't Pentium D series particularly bad in power consumption?) The mini will eat far less than a full-size tower will. Doesn't feel like a big thing but if you have the computer on all the time, it can mean tens of dollars per year. The power consumption combined with the smaller amount of materials and cost in shipping/logistics makes mini the "environmental" choice.

Eyeball test results self-evident.

I'd also far prefer the mini over a G4 tower. You can live with the G4, sure, but in my mind spending $250 more would be an easy call. I'm using a 1.2GHz single G4, not doing anything particularly heavy, and I'd really like it to be a little faster. (To be able to watch HD video, for one. Not possible on the G4.) Expandability is not an issue for the intended uses.

No idea if you can get the equivalent of that mini cheaper, but it is the right thing to get. Go for it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    She should look at Apple's refurb site. You get a system that is fully refurbed and QA'ed by Apple and a full years warranty. The discounts can be significant. I picked up a MBP 2.16 for $400 off retail and it looks and performs brand new.

Apple Canada's refurb site: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....7.5.5.1.0.1.1
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Canadian store has a MacMini for $589 right now. Will probably go quickly.

Refurbished Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

60GB Serial ATA hard drive