Manual iPod Mode.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, since my Mac Mini has run low on memory, I've decided to delete a lot of my music to make room for more memory.

So I've decided to use my iPod Video as a storage for my music, although I still want to add new songs and playlists. Now, how can I turn on my iPod onto Manual mode without it auto-updating itself in iTunes?

I want to be able to control the songs that go onto it and so it won't erase all the songs on the iPod (because my iTunes is now very bare).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    If you have deleted your music from your hard-drive already, you may have some problems.

If you still have your music in iTunes, just plug in your iPod; go to Edit -> Preferences (in iTunes) and click the iPod tab. Then check the "Manually manage songs and playlists option." Once you have done this, you can delete music from your computer and the iPod will not notice.

If, on the other hand, you have already removed your music from your computer (or have even just removed it from your iTunes library), you may have some problems. But try this: plug in your iPod to a computer other than the one that used to hold the music that is now on your iPod. Open iTunes on that computer and change the preferences to "Manually manage songs and playlists" as above. You _must_ do this on a different computer than the one that did hold your iTunes library or all of your songs will disappear from your iPod! I believe that this setting change will be stored on the iPod (and not on the computer), and so when you plug it back into your computer (the one that your old library was on), the setting will still be set to manual. But I might be wrong, in which case, you'll have to re-rip all of your music, re-load it to your iPod, and make sure that the "Manually manage..." setting is selected before you delete them again.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

If you have deleted your music from your hard-drive already, you may have some problems.

If you still have your music in iTunes, just plug in your iPod; go to Edit -> Preferences (in iTunes) and click the iPod tab. Then check the "Manually manage songs and playlists option." Once you have done this, you can delete music from your computer and the iPod will not notice.

If, on the other hand, you have already removed your music from your computer (or have even just removed it from your iTunes library), you may have some problems. But try this: plug in your iPod to a computer other than the one that used to hold the music that is now on your iPod. Open iTunes on that computer and change the preferences to "Manually manage songs and playlists" as above. You _must_ do this on a different computer than the one that did hold your iTunes library or all of your songs will disappear from your iPod! I believe that this setting change will be stored on the iPod (and not on the computer), and so when you plug it back into your computer (the one that your old library was on), the setting will still be set to manual. But I might be wrong, in which case, you'll have to re-rip all of your music, re-load it to your iPod, and make sure that the "Manually manage..." setting is selected before you delete them again.

Alternatively, you can do it by creating a new user account on your mac. Log in to the new account, plug in the iPod and iTunes will give you a message saying something along the lines of "This iPod is synced to another computer, would you like to sync with this one?" Press no, then go to the iPod in the Source Pane, click on Summary and choose the Manually manage songs... as mentioned above.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61675

Log back in using your normal account, and the iPod syncing will be turned off.