MacPro + ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB = 7-10 days = new card soon?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know the MacPro just had an update

But why when you do a build your own MacPro does the ship date go up so much on the x1900 ? Is Apple just behind on shipments?

Something new on the way for 10.5? // WWDC ?

Should I order now? what do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    This has been like this as far back as I can remember. There's been a note on the Apple Store page since the card was added saying that it 'might delay your order'. While I'm hoping there will be new graphics cards available soon, I wouldn't count on this as a sign.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dr01dydr01dy Posts: 3member
    I ordered a macpro 2.66 w/ the ATI1900 on May 2nd and it just shipped on the 11th and it says I am going to receive it on the 15th

It;s been a long wait
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Just to add my two cents to the current state of order speed, I ordered a MacPro 2.66 w/ X1900XT + the Airport Extreme card on May 4th and it shipped on May 11th. I should receive this Wednesday! Very excited here, this is my first Mac...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dr01dydr01dy Posts: 3member
    my mac pro arrived 1 day early!!! fedex said it was due to deliver on the 15th but when I woke up this morning it said it was on the fedex truck for delivery!

I would like to mention that this machine smokes I went from a Mac Mini 1.6 to a Mac Pro Dual 2.66 w/ 3 gigs of ram.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

my mac pro arrived 1 day early!!! fedex said it was due to deliver on the 15th but when I woke up this morning it said it was on the fedex truck for delivery!

I would like to mention that this machine smokes I went from a Mac Mini 1.6 to a Mac Pro Dual 2.66 w/ 3 gigs of ram.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am.

BAH. And mine got delayed for a day, the delivery date has moved from tomorrow to Thursday. You stole a day from me! We got the exact same config, I ordered 2GB extra RAM (for 3 total) from OWC that has been sitting on my desk for a week.

I am quite impatient at this point, like I said, this will be my first Mac of any kind and I'm itching to do video/PS and even gaming on it since it will be faster than my 3+ year old PC. HURRY UP.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secretvampire View Post

.snip....[We got the exact same config, I ordered 2GB extra RAM (for 3 total) from OWC that has been sitting on my desk for a week.

.snip....

You're adding two 1GB memory sticks to your standard 2 X 512 memory sticks?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

You're adding two 1GB memory sticks to your standard 2 X 512 memory sticks?

Yep, on the second riser card, why would that possibly be a problem?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Yep, on the second riser card, why would that possibly be a problem?

I don't know that there would be a problem, but I keep hearing people talk about "matched sets" and "256 addressing". I see this on ram memory websites and even offers for them to buy your 2 X 512MB when you upgrade to 1G or 2G sets. Just throwing out the question because I'm not sure and would like to get some responses from more knowledgeable ram people. Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I don't know that there would be a problem, but I keep hearing people talk about "matched sets" and "256 addressing". I see this on ram memory websites and even offers for them to buy your 2 X 512MB when you upgrade to 1G or 2G sets. Just throwing out the question because I'm not sure and would like to get some responses from more knowledgeable ram people. Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, I see. No, it means you need matched pairs in each bank of two slots. If you are buying 1GB, you need 2x512MB chips, 2GB you need 2x1GB chips, 4GB you need 2x2GB chips. Each bank doesn't have to match each other however, the 2x512MB chips that come installed will play just fine with another bank of 2x1GB chips installed on the other riser. Did that make sense?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Oh, I see. No, it means you need matched pairs in each bank of two slots. If you are buying 1GB, you need 2x512MB chips, 2GB you need 2x1GB chips, 4GB you need 2x2GB chips. Each bank doesn't have to match each other however, the 2x512MB chips that come installed will play just fine with another bank of 2x1GB chips installed on the other riser. Did that make sense?

Yes it does. Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    > Something new on the way for 10.5? // WWDC ?

> Should I order now? what do you think?

It could be that they are trying correct the flaw in was introduced in April. Any recently ordered Mac Pro with an X1900XT does not work reliably with Bootcamp.

So if you need Bootcamp I would hold off on ordering for a bit.

(For more info on the problem see the extensive thread here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....575629#4575629)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Great. Well, I plan on installing BootCamp this weekend as I finally took delivery yesterday, so I guess I'll find out soon enough if this is fixed.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

At minimum, you need matched pairs. If you have a set of four identical sized memory cards (4x1GB, 4x 512MB, 4x2GB, etc), supposedly the Mac Pro runs in quad channel mode. Matched pairs means dual channel mode.

I really haven't seen a test show that quad channel mode makes a significant difference, but I'm not sure if any tests were properly done to narrow this down either.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

At minimum, you need matched pairs. If you have a set of four identical sized memory cards (4x1GB, 4x 512MB, 4x2GB, etc), supposedly the Mac Pro runs in quad channel mode. Matched pairs means dual channel mode.

I really haven't seen a test show that quad channel mode makes a significant difference, but I'm not sure if any tests were properly done to narrow this down either.

Not saying it's so, but here's what Ramjet says:

http://www.ramjet.com/macpro.asp

The Mac Pro uses a memory type called an FB-DIMM (Fully Buffered - Dual Inline Memory Module). Ramjet FB-DIMMs work in all Mac Pro models including the 8-core. There are eight (8) slots, and the FB-DIMMs must be installed in pairs (2x identical) or quads (4x identical). Matched Quads run 5-10% faster, because the memory controller is able to address all four FB-DIMMs as a single 256bit memory bank. The original 1Gig is installed as a pair of two 512mb FB-DIMMs. The system maximum is 32Gigs with the installation of eight (8) 4Gig FB-DIMMs (two 16Gig quads).