Ripping DVD for iPod-20x as fast!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So I use handbrake quite a bit for ripping DVDs to be viewed either on my iPod or through it to TV. I recently encoded a movie at 2500kbs and near-DVD resolution (has to be under 230,000 pixels total for .mp4/iPod compatibility). I always-use two pass encoding.

Now, I discovered a while ago that handbrake can do this right from the DVD, without ripping with MTR or something else first. But when I did my latest movie, I realized it was ripping at 5fps average! The first pass was going to take 4 hours. I mean, shit! I thought it might be my high quality settings, but it wasn't as I lowered it and got the same results. I recall getting real-time ripping of 25-30Ffps on my iMac G5, so surely my MBPc2d would be faster.

Well I realized it was the drive. I ripped the DVD with MTR is 15 minutes, then encoded from the Video_TS folder. I was averaging 108fps...5 times faster than the iMac and 20X faster than DVD-direct. A two pass encode took like 25 minutes. So, I'm sold...MTR for ripping, handbrake for encoding. I had used a "demo" (cough) copy of Popcorn in the past to burn the results to DVD, but I need to "upgrade" (cough, cough) to a new version.

Any similar experiences, other ripping ideas or tools?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well I realized it was the drive.

Yeah, I read about this somewhere. I can't remember exactly but I think they mentioned it was some sort of copy protection built into DVD drives that limits the speed at which DVDs could be ripped. I thought this was built into the drive though, which suggests it wouldn't matter which software you used. Maybe it's just some hardware/software interaction that needs to be done properly.

Quote:

I ripped the DVD with MTR is 15 minutes, then encoded from the Video_TS folder. I was averaging 108fps...5 times faster than the iMac and 20X faster than DVD-direct. A two pass encode took like 25 minutes. So, I'm sold...MTR for ripping, handbrake for encoding.

Any similar experiences, other ripping ideas or tools?

I use MTR for ripping or YadeX if I need just individual chapters. Then I use isquint (I use Visual Hub, from the same people) as it's one of the fastest encoders I've seen and the output quality is good too.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, I read about this somewhere. I can't remember exactly but I think they mentioned it was some sort of copy protection built into DVD drives that limits the speed at which DVDs could be ripped. I thought this was built into the drive though, which suggests it wouldn't matter which software you used. Maybe it's just some hardware/software interaction that needs to be done properly.

I use MTR for ripping or YadeX if I need just individual chapters. Then I use isquint (I use Visual Hub, from the same people) as it's one of the fastest encoders I've seen and the output quality is good too.

I don't think it's the drive itself...I think it's the process. MTR was much faster. I think what it is is that it's doing two things at once...ripping and encoding...which are obviously much different. Never tried YadeX...you like?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I've never used Handbrake (still running Panther and HB requires Tiger). Also, I rarely encode for my iPod. Instead, I copy DVDs (I keep my purchased DVDs in their cases...I've had too many scratch to mess with them too much). But what I use on my old G4 tower works well:

Rip with Mactheripper.

Shrink and encode to a new file and create a new disk image with DVD2OneX.

Burn image to blank DVD-R with Apple's Disk Copy utility. (If you have Toast, you can omit the step creating the disk image...but this only takes ~5 minutes on my old comp anyway, so it's not a big deal.)

I've done this for over two years with over 200 DVDs, and DVD2OneX has never failed me.

The few times I wanted iPod-watchable files, I used ffmpegX, and it worked well.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

I don't think it's the drive itself...I think it's the process. MTR was much faster. I think what it is is that it's doing two things at once...ripping and encoding...which are obviously much different.

Yeah, there is a hardware limitation in some drives:

http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

but in this case it will just be the different way the software is extracting the movie.

Quote:

Never tried YadeX...you like?

I like the way it shows the DVD because it's just a hierarchy and when you click an element, it plays it immediately in the windows below. This means you can quickly extract even just a title sequence or an extras movie without having to think about which chapters are what.

Most of the time I do what DCQ does, which is just copy movies to another DVD, which requires a video_ts so I use MTR for that. Requantizing with DVD2One takes about 5 minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

I've never used Handbrake (still running Panther and HB requires Tiger). Also, I rarely encode for my iPod. Instead, I copy DVDs (I keep my purchased DVDs in their cases...I've had too many scratch to mess with them too much). But what I use on my old G4 tower works well:

Rip with Mactheripper.

Burn image to blank DVD-R with Apple's Disk Copy utility. (If you have Toast, you can omit the step creating the disk image...but this only takes ~5 minutes on my old comp anyway, so it's not a big deal.)

I've done this for over two years with over 200 DVDs, and DVD2OneX has never failed me.

The few times I wanted iPod-watchable files, I used ffmpegX, and it worked well.

I tried using Apple Disk Copy but I couldn't get it to work. I like Popcorn because it compresses and copies in one step.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Another possibility is that if your DVD reading is limiting then you might make two copies of Handbrake ap and run them in parallel for different discs (if you have multiple optical drives). I tried this with the macbook and an external drive and it ran both encoding tasks at the same speed. According to the activity monitor neither is using more than half the processor.

I can't wait to find out more about the el gato Turbo. If the software is good, it might be worth it,
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cardcard Posts: 3member
    mine dvd ripper is mp4converter, it is easy to use and enough for me.

but i want to try another dvd ripper ,too.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by card View Post

are you kinding?

how can you using mp4converter to rip dvd?

it is used to convert mp4.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big town View Post

are you kinding?

how can you using mp4converter to rip dvd?

it is used to convert mp4.

you are not a user of this mp4converter, it conversion functions not only include convert dvd , but also convert some other formats.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

Rip with Mactheripper.

why those tool i never hear before? is it free?how long will it take for 2 hour dvd movie ripping to mp4? i always use commercial tool xilisoft dvd to iPod converter.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by card View Post

what you said i also never hear before~ i don't like the ripping speed of my tool
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

what you said i also never hear before~ i don't like the ripping speed of my tool

MTR is good, if you can get it. (Mac the Ripper).
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

my mp4converter's conversion speed is not bad.

you can have a try.

maybe it is much quicker than your ripper.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:

why those tool i never hear before? is it free?how long will it take for 2 hour dvd movie ripping to mp4? i always use commercial tool xilisoft dvd to iPod converter.

i am so curious that you never hear those dvd ripping tool, well ,commercial tool xilisoft dvd to iPod converter is powerful, but need money~