Final Cut Pro Video Export Problems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys, a fairly quick one here. I'm working on a video for a friend, the final resolution needs to be 768 x 576 (4:3). It is a mix of video and stills in a slideshow(ish) format. This is all fine and exports nicely until I add any text, I cannot seem to export under any codec or by changing any settings so that the text is not completely smooth. I am currently exporting using quicktime conversion at:

Quicktime .mov

Resolution: 768 x 576

Compression type: H.264

Quality: Best

Keyframes every 24 frames

Preserving aspect ratio using cropping

Deinteralcing of source video is switched on

I have tried several variations and none seem to give me crisp, non-jagged text.

Any help would be GREATLY appreicated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxx66 View Post

This is all fine and exports nicely until I add any text, I cannot seem to export under any codec or by changing any settings so that the text is not completely smooth.

I don't know if there is really anything you can do. If you are planning on putting it on DVD or something like that on a monitor, it should look fine, but digitally, the pixels will likely show. It's just the nature of digital video at times. How bad is it, though? Can you post a picture?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    maxx66maxx66 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

I don't know if there is really anything you can do. If you are planning on putting it on DVD or something like that on a monitor, it should look fine, but digitally, the pixels will likely show. It's just the nature of digital video at times. How bad is it, though? Can you post a picture?

Here's a screencap:

I think that pretty much shows what I described, its just the text that is jagged around the edges. I did put it on a DVD and still had the same problem on both several monitors and a 2 different TV's I tried (both LCD and plasma flatscreens). I really hope there is something I can do improve the quality :/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    no one have any idea?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    That's caused by the deinterlacer. If you intend to use this on screen (ie: not back out to video), you should just create a non-interlaced (progressive) sequence in FCP in the first place. Don't make an interlaced sequence, and then ask for a deinterlace.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ah that seems to make sense, how exactly do I change the sequence to a progressive / non-interlaced sequence though?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What I do with DV footage is just save straight out of Final Cut with no conversion. This gives me an interlaced DV file. I then open in Quicktime and in the properties, I turn on high quality and de-interlace for H264 export (high quality may just be for playback - not sure why it's not on by default).

For DVD export, I've mixed text with interlaced footage before and it has always come out looking smooth as far as I remember. Are you just exporting using Compressor direct from Final Cut?