Macbook Pro Update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Following the slightly refreshed Macbook. When do you think the Macbook Pro going to be updated? What do you think it will come with? Here is my prediction:

2.2 and 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa Chips

LED Backlights on 15 and 17"

2GB Ram Standard up to 4GB

Updated Graphics card (hopefully with a 512mb option)

300 GB HD

802.11n draft wireless

Maybe, but highly doubtful, a voucher for Leopard when it is released

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Following the slightly refreshed Macbook. When do you think the Macbook Pro going to be updated? What do you think it will come with? Here is my prediction:

2.2 and 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa Chips

LED Backlights on 15 and 17"

2GB Ram Standard up to 4GB

Updated Graphics card (hopefully with a 512mb option)

300 GB HD

802.11n draft wireless

Maybe, but highly doubtful, a voucher for Leopard when it is released

I'd have to disagree. First of all, I honestly don't know personally about Santa Rosa, I'm kinda up in the air whether I think they will or not. Also, I highly doubt they'll have LED displays on the 17" for some time. They're just so expensive, plus we've not received any reports of orders of 17" displays being ordered by apple, when we've gotten one for a 15.2" order. Jobs even said that the larger screens would be updated later, 'as soon as economically possible'. The RAM sounds reasonable, and if they do go with the Santa Rosa, chances are they would have an updated graphics card. The thing I disagree with the most, though, is the hard drive size. There's no way Apple's going to start with a 300 gig HD. I'd hope for around 160-180 GB to start, though I could easily see 300 GB being an upgrade option. And no to a Leopard voucheer, though more possibly after WWDC, to make up for it being pushed back. I still doubt that, though.

But that's just my humble opinion. I know on the display comments I made, there could have been an order we haven't heard about, or that the 15.2" order actually happened, but I find it to be most likely to happen from various comments made by many people, including Apple themselves.

As for when to expect it, I'd say it'll either be a week before WWDC, or announced at WWDC. If I had to choose one, I'd say the former.

Here's a thought: MacBook Pro refresh: Price hike if these predictions are accurate - yes or no?
  • Reply 2 of 73
    s1nceres1ncere Posts: 5member
    Any word on what week the MBP are coming ? but more importantly are MBP video cards upgradable?
  • Reply 3 of 73
    No word or even rumor on release date/week yet, and I don't believe MBPs can upgrade graphics, as far as I know... <_<
  • Reply 4 of 73
    s1nceres1ncere Posts: 5member
    cheers,

i need to buy a new laptop b4 classes start june 4th and i mite be forced to buy a new MBP b4 the update does the apple store do exchanges on laptops ?
  • Reply 5 of 73
    You might be able to resell it back to them to sell as a refurbished machine, and get a discount, but I doubt they'd just swap. Do you absolutely need the laptop the day classes start, or could you get by on lab computers for a week or two? It all depends on how much the refresh to the currently unknown means to you.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s1ncere View Post

Any word on what week the MBP are coming ? but more importantly are MBP video cards upgradable?

Probably at WWDC. Didn't you read the post above yours? I think most would agree WWDC is the likely release for it, but no one never knows for sure until the day they are released. Other than that all you'll get are educated guesses - and some uneducated ones.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    weeeee! look everyone, its going round and round again...! thought it was going to grind to a halt but yipee that its all moving again.

eh? no, no. the rumour wheel. yes, it stalled yesterday slightly with the, lets face it, rather half-baked update to the MB - good for MB buyers certainly - but now its back to rife speculation and many many posts [to come!] about what might lie ahead in the next few weeks, if at all there is something. several views exist from what I can gather...

updates in a couple of weeks.

updates in June (at that big apple meeting) wwdc-thingy-whatsit.

updates with leotard - I mean - leopard in October.

that the macbooks now are closing the gap on the MBPs its not unreasonable to assume there's be an update within the next few weeks - rather than later. what they might be though no one can tell. maybe just a brush-up like the MBs got and save any big wows for october on the imacs (new screens and stuff, mac-mini too). what we probably all know though is lots of guys at apple are quietly chuckling away at us here playing a guessing game and while some might be close - or spot on - we're only going to know when it happens. So, I'll sit back again and watch, and wait. I'd like one for all the photography I do but I don't NEED one right away...guess I'll have to keep plugin' away on my pc for the time being, it works but after Vista I don't envisage continuing on with the platform too much longer...!
  • Reply 8 of 73
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Yesterday's Macbook update brought the specs of Macbook-MBP differntially close. imo, This suggests a solid bump for the MBP when the time comes, likely by WWDC, which in only few weeks away.

I fully expect Santa Rosa. With Apple on the Intel bandwagon now, there is no reason not to update the chips in their pro model. Mac hardware can now be directly compared to "competing" PC hardware. So if Apple delays usage of new Intel platforms for months, they will certainly be mocked publically. And we know how much Jobs enjoys being mocked... (eg: "3Ghz by summer.")

My guess (editing your list):

-- 2.2 and 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa Chips

-- LED Backlights on 15 -- 17" still LCD for a while due to part cost

-- 2GB Ram Standard up to 4GB

-- Updated Graphics card (maybe 512mb, but I wouldn't bet on it)

-- 160-200 GB HD (300s are still too expensive, imo)

-- 802.11n draft wireless (clearly)

And my wish-list:

-- Blu-ray drive (yeah, I can dream, right?)

-- USB/Firewire ports on the back (personal peeve due to my use of external trackball with my MBP, which is displaced awkwardly if i have firewire drive plugged in). fwiw, I don't expect this at all. Just dreaming...
  • Reply 9 of 73
    I also would like to see more USB/Firewire ports. I think a lot of these spec increases are a bit optimistic... but hey, its just a forum right?

Also, does anyone think that there is going to be a new form factor for the next MacBook Pro update to coincide with the upcoming new iMac form factor?
  • Reply 10 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsvalmont

Also, does anyone think that there is going to be a new form factor for the next MacBook Pro update to coincide with the upcoming new iMac form factor?

As always with things like this it's a guess, but I think both will arrive on stage at WWDC. I have high hopes and fantasies for what they will be and look like. Particularly when it comes to the iMac, I kind of think it will be evolutionary, but I've a 2% hunch it will be revolutionary.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

-- 2.2 and 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa Chips

My question is how exactly will we know if they went with the Santa Rosa? Neither Intel nor manufacturers adopting it are using the name "Santa Rosa," so what do we look for to confirm it?

Otherwise, I'd agree with your list, sounds about right, and fills in some gaps I forgot about up there ^^^
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post

I highly doubt they'll change the look of it, unless it's a very, very major hardware change, too. But even then they probably won't. With their Pro models, Apple has been leaning towards that industrial-looking metal casing to separate them from the rest, even since the PowerBooks. And it's not like they need to add anything to the case. I don't see why they'd go ahead and change that all of a sudden.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I have been waiting patiently for one reason. More RAM. I could care less about the other stuff that might get upgraded as it seems like there is very little on the horizon that is truly significant (LED lighting might be, but not sure I want to mess with first gen technology).

So when will I finally be able to put 4GB in a pro machine?
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

So when will I finally be able to put 4GB in a pro machine?

At this point, it looks like it depends whether or not Apple decides to go with Santa Rosa. We shall see...
  • Reply 15 of 73
    it seems 'more ram' is pretty high on the list of things people wish for...whats the 'usual' max in pc notebooks anyhow?
  • Reply 16 of 73
    My predictions...

2.2ghz-2.4ghz santa rosa generation CPU's

still 1GB ram std but upgradable to 4GB

13, 15 pro models with LED backlights; 17 still fluorescent but still an upgraded screen

160GB HDD on 13,15; 200GB on 17 upgradable to 300GB

nVidia GeForce 8600m GT or GS, maybe the 8400 series if costs are too high to keep the overall prices close to how they are now (I dont think they will stick with ATI due to the huge lead that nVidia has on them right now)

Surprises:

New case design. Black color. Magnesium alloy maybe.

eSATA port to connect external HDD for Time Machine
  • Reply 17 of 73
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    If it's any consolation, the lead times on the MacBook Pros went from 1-3 days to 5-7 days on the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. As I have pointed out in the past, the spike in the lead times for colleges and K-12 schools looking to buy is usually a precusor to pending product updates.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

New case design. Black color.

See my above post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

I highly doubt they'll change the look of it, unless it's a very, very major hardware change, too. But even then they probably won't. With their Pro models, Apple has been leaning towards that industrial-looking metal casing to separate them from the rest, even since the PowerBooks. And it's not like they need to add anything to the case. I don't see why they'd go ahead and change that all of a sudden.

• Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

If it's any consolation, the lead times on the MacBook Pros went from 1-3 days to 5-7 days on the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. As I have pointed out in the past, the spike in the lead times for colleges and K-12 schools looking to buy is usually a precusor to pending product updates.

Oh, man, let's hope! *crosses fingers*
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

See my above post.

Yea I read your post and I think that you are dead wrong. First, this design has been the same for atleast 4 years. Its time for a change even though the current design is nearly perfect. Secondly, Apple needs to provide some motivation for people to upgrade to the new model when maybe they have a Core Duo or even a Core 2 MBP. I dont think the small speed bump that the new chipset provides is enough to get people to make another purchase. A new design certainly would, especially if it improved cooling.