Multitasking iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was wondering... we have all seen all these amazing apps being run on the iPhone. But they never go back to the apps they had opened. If I type an email or mess with a picture or what not, then goto another app, would the previous app still be in the same place when I get back? Like... I goto www.appleinsider.com and scroll halfway down. Then leave to go look at a picture, then back to Safari. Is it still scrolled halfway down www.appleinsider.com?

Small side question... on all the pic's of the iPhone home screen... what are the red circles with numbers in them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    imichaelimichael Posts: 9member
    I'm not sure about your first question, but the red circle with the numbers in it would correspond

to Text Messages or Phone Messages.

Letting your know how many of each you have.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMichael View Post

I'm not sure about your first question, but the red circle with the numbers in it would correspond

to Text Messages or Phone Messages.

Letting your know how many of each you have.

It's the same feature as Apple Mail: the dock icon displays how many new messages are unopened.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Multitasking was one of the iphone's advertised features. That's one reason they used OS X because they get that for free. One thing they said was that it could receive your emails while you did other stuff and they said that was a unique feature as othe phones were not multitasking. People were quick to point out that there are other phones already that are multitasking but I can't recall if it was on the same level as OS X. They used to have to use two processors.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gsmumbogsmumbo Posts: 4member
    Thanks for all of your answers. I do remember the keynote saying something about multitasking due to OSX now. And the number thing makes perfect sense. It had been bugging me for a while but that works. Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    The name for those circles with numbers is "badges". I might be wrong, but it sounds like you're new to OS X. I say that because they're used in a lot of places in it - for instance, when you drag a bunch of items, the cursor has a badge with the number of items you're dragging.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Multitasking was one of the iphone's advertised features. That's one reason they used OS X because they get that for free. One thing they said was that it could receive your emails while you did other stuff and they said that was a unique feature as othe phones were not multitasking. People were quick to point out that there are other phones already that are multitasking but I can't recall if it was on the same level as OS X. They used to have to use two processors.

My (Nokia) phone is as multitasking as a computer OS. Has a task switcher and apps keep running in the background.

I would hope the iPhone is too...