Optimus Keyboard Now Pre-ordering

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Engadget claims the Optimus keyboard is finally availble for pre-order. Engadget AND Optimus in a news story doesn't sound too promising I guess.

Optimus

If it's accurate, they're not giving them away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    Damn. That thing's the price of a 30"er!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just imagine, with a multi-touch Apple keyboard, they would disappear overnight. That's a high risk company and product.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's a high risk company and product.

They're a design firm who do lots of other stuff with lots of partners, including such heavyweights as Samsung. They're not going anywhere regardless of how many Optimus keyboards they manage to sell.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just imagine, with a multi-touch Apple keyboard, they would disappear overnight. That's a high risk company and product.

No they wouldn't. Multitouch would lack tactile feedback. Any serious typist would avoid it for that reason!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    When in four months these thing are all malfunctioning, i'll be there to say "I told you so." There are too many problems with the design of this keyboard (I've seen the guts on some website) and I just don't see it lasting very long. Not the least of the problems is that OLED panels don't have terribly long lifespans.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

No they wouldn't. Multitouch would lack tactile feedback. Any serious typist would avoid it for that reason!

Probably but this keyboard design is meant so that the keys change based on what's being used. If you can rely on touch for all the apps you use then you likely won't need this keyboard.

What I'd personally rather do is get an iphone - I don't think I'll say this a lot concerning the iphone, but it would actually be cheaper. Then I'd use my regular keyboard for normal typing and have a bluetooth link to the computer and it could become a custom touch pad for specialized apps. So in Photoshop, the iphone could show a grid of all the tool icons. If the camera or accelerometer could be used for tracking, you could maybe turn it into a mouse.