MacJanitor Unable to run all of a sudden

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I don't know exactly when this started.. sometime in the past couple weeks.. maybe since the 10.2.3 upgrade.

MacJanitor will launch and I can click on the Unlock button to allow the tasks to run.. but if I click on ANY of the tasks MacJanitor "Unexpectedly Quits".

I have tried turfing all files and re-installing.. but I get the same result. Maybe a conflict somewhere?

Help! This program is really useful. I have emailed the developer too, but that was only yesterday - no response yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    burnburn Posts: 49member
    Sorry,

Can some kind Moderator Type move this over to Software please?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    As you requested....
  • Reply 3 of 9
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    If you use Safari, it is most likely caused by that.

[quote]Originally posted by Tooky on the Apple Support Forums:

I tried downloading iCal 1.0.2 yesterday using Safari. The .dmg file wouldn't mount. Cancelled it and did a re-start. Upon restart, I received a message saying that it couldn't find Norton Auto-detect (Anti-virus) and to reinstall it. First time I ever got that message. I also no longer had my broadband connection and freeware programs "Meteroligst" and MacJanitor were broke. Downloaded a new copy of MacJanitor but it still won't work. I got my broadband connection back by trashing everything Norton Internet Security (2.0). but the other apps mentioned are still broke. I also can't re-install Norton because it won't recognize me as the administrator. I also can't log into another one of my accounts but I can log in to my son's account. Anyone know what's going on? Is a clean install the only answer? Thanks.<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbdb9d6"; target="_blank">http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bbdb9d6</a>;
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    It worked for me when I ran it this morning, and I do have safari and 10.2.3 installed.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    FYI, Meteorologist breaking is completely unrelated. Weather.com changod its format and an updated version of Meteorologist was released to compensate.

Also, MacJanitor works fine for me. I have 10.2.3 and Safari running. Are you using the latest version of MacJanitor? Check VersionTracker.com.

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    All of a sudden mine stopped working yesterday. Was it Safari?

Went to VersionTracker, downloaded it and reinstalled and it works again.

Was interesting that when installing a message window came up and asked me if I wanted to replace the Newer version with an older version. They were both 1.2.

Oh well. It works.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Burn, RTFM. the manual (Read me) has the script that you can use in the command line.

Terminal.app

sudo (i forgot what the commands are, but they're all in the ReadMe file)

FWIW, it quit working for me too, i did a reinstall of 10.2.3 and it finally worked. i dunno what the problem was, but i now look at the ReadMe and type the commands in terminal. feels like i'm actually maintaining my computer that way good luck

[quote]Originally posted by Burn:

<strong>Hi,

I don't know exactly when this started.. sometime in the past couple weeks.. maybe since the 10.2.3 upgrade.

MacJanitor will launch and I can click on the Unlock button to allow the tasks to run.. but if I click on ANY of the tasks MacJanitor "Unexpectedly Quits".

I have tried turfing all files and re-installing.. but I get the same result. Maybe a conflict somewhere?

Help! This program is really useful. I have emailed the developer too, but that was only yesterday - no response yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Thanks Wagnerite - it had nothing to do with the f'ing Manual actually. Nice one. Hahaha - you did a full re-install of OSX?? and you're trying to give out advice?

It was Safari that pooched my tmp file. no sudo anything - sorry wrong answer, try again.

Thanks for your help guys, I fixed the problem. Seems Safari is hosing some people's Home folder too! yikes, everyone remember the iTunes hassle???

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Burn ]

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Burn ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Oh and here is the fix as posted by Tooky in Apple Discussions.

Go into terminal and type:

ln -s /private/tmp /tmp

Include spaces.

Then log out an log in again. Make sure your Admin.

Problems should be solved.

The first letter is a lower case L like Ellen.

For some reason Safari wipes out the 'tmp" file whatever that is.