No CDMA-compatible iPhone for at least 5 years - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Being the exclusive U.S. provider for Apple's iPhone means that wireless carrier AT&T won't have to worry about a competing version of the device for rival cellular networks for at least half a decade.

That's the word from USA Today's Leslie Cauley, who appears to have confirmed that AT&T has exclusive U.S. distribution rights on the Apple handset for five years

As part of the deal, Apple is reportedly barred for that time from developing a version of the iPhone for CDMA wireless networks, such those operated by Verizon Wireless and Sprint.

Of course, the five-year embargo has been somewhat expected ever since Verizon vice president Jim Gerace began boasting over his company's decision not to bite at a similar five-year exclusive that would have made Verizon Wireless the iPhone's exclusive U.S. provider.

"We said no. We have nothing bad to say about the Apple iPhone," Gerace told USA Today back in January "We just couldn't reach a deal that was mutually beneficial."

The Verizon exec said his firm just could not come to terms on a variety of issues with the iPhone maker. Among them, Apple reportedly wanted a percentage of the monthly cellphone fees, a say over how and where iPhones could be sold, and control of the relationship with iPhone customers.

In speaking to the paper this week, AT&T Wireless chief executive Stan Sigman showed his own signs of swagger as he acknowledged the primary advantage in landing the iPhone exclusive -- which is that customers who crave the device will be forced to take their business to his front door.

"I'm glad we have (the iPhone) in our bag," he said. "Others will try to match it, but for a period of time, they're going to be playing catch-up."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    As part of the deal, Apple is reportedly barred for that time from developing a version of the iPhone for CDMA wireless networks, such those operated by Verizon Wireless and Sprint.

That's hard to believe. I'd more likely believe that the 1G iPhone is exclusive for 5 years but a 2G iPhone or iPhone Nano could go anywhere.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    I'm shocked! Shocked!

Although, to me, this is more proof there won't be a 'pay as you go' vehicle (without competition, why bother?).

And it also shows how desperate Cingular must've been to make the deal they did. They're laying a lot of eggs in this one basket.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's hard to believe. I'd more likely believe that the 1G iPhone is exclusive for 5 years but a 2G iPhone or iPhone Nano could go anywhere.

Nope. Its been said before that the agreement is exclusive for all iPhone devices. Cingular would be stupid to have signed such a sweetheart deal for apple as described, and then allow Apple to release another phone (and better, since its newer) for use with other's networks.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Um, how will it work in Asia if there is no CDMA version? So, there will be a CDMA version.

I think the headline here is ATT gets 5 year exclusive deal in the US, which was already suspected.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Nope. Its been said before that the agreement is exclusive for all iPhone devices. Cingular would be stupid to have signed such a sweetheart deal for apple as described, and then allow Apple to release another phone (and better, since its newer) for use with other's networks.

Maybe apple could develop an "apple phone" for other networks instead!
  • Reply 6 of 76
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    Asia, like most of the world, is predominently GSM ( see here http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml and here http://www.coveragemaps.com/gsmposter.htm ). GSM includes a CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) methods of encoding data, but this should not be confused with the Qualcomm CDMA specification, the latter being what non-GSM providers in North America are using. When Apple says they won't support CDMA, it is Qualcomm's CDMA specification they are talking about.

The coverage maps referenced at the start of this post show how much coverage GSM has. Generally, most new cell phones first come out as GSM and then are adapted to CDMA. Its all a question of choosing the market and deciding where to put the effort. In many way this is not much different than games companies with MS-Windows PCs and Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

Um, how will it work in Asia if there is no CDMA version? So, there will be a CDMA version.

I think the headline here is ATT gets 5 year exclusive deal in the US, which was already suspected.

To further your thought:

There very well might be a reason why Apple isn't showing the antenna design inside and component layout the of iPhone shell in the FCC report. It may already be ready for CDMA with slight modifications. It may be that they are still waiting on a patent to be granted. What ever the reason. I am sure that if Apple wanted a CDMA phone, it could be done, just as easily, with a license fee to Qualcomm of course.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    AT&Tingular may think they have an exclusive on the iPhone, but I'm betting that people will be using it unlocked on T-Mobile in under one month--especially if the iPhone is not subsidized.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

To further your thought:

There very well might be a reason why Apple isn't showing the antenna design inside and component layout the of iPhone shell in the FCC report. It may already be ready for CDMA with slight modifications. It may be that they are still waiting on a patent to be granted. What ever the reason. I am sure that if Apple wanted a CDMA phone, it could be done, just as easily, with a license fee to Qualcomm of course.

Again, not with that nice 5-year exclusive license to Cingular, there's no reason to even care. And, perhaps by then, there won't be a need for it in North America.

And hiding stuff from the FCC report means nothing, because people will be ripping these things open immediately (wish I had that kind of money to be able to buy stuff in order to destroy it) and show you all the excitement of the antenna assembly or whatever.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    <Spelling Police>

Comptable, should be compatible.

</Spelling Police>
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Japan uses the same 3G standards as Europe on two of the networks (Softbank Mobile and NTT DoCoMo) but has zero GSM coverage. Likewise Korea has no GSM and uses CDMA, but has the same 3G standards as Japan and Europe

Any iPhone in Japan or Korea will hence require 3G on the same frequencies as European 3G. Draw your own conclusions.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    morrismorris Posts: 25member
    It does make sense. Apart from some networks in the U.S. (and Iraq and possibly in the future Afghanistan ) hardly anyone uses CDMA.

Apple is just targeting the largest worldwide market.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Verizon and Apple trying to negotiate control must've been funny to watch. I hope passing on the iPhone is an expensive mistake for Verizon and they stop monkeying with phone design.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    I ALREADY know four people who are absolutely positively switching from verizon to att as soon as they can get their hands on an iPhone. in central/southern connecticut, ATTingular has perfect coverage.

verizon, can you hear me now?
  • Reply 15 of 76
    rpm16601rpm16601 Posts: 23member
    Yet one more reason the iphone is of no interest.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

AT&Tingular may think they have an exclusive on the iPhone, but I'm betting that people will be using it unlocked on T-Mobile in under one month--especially if the iPhone is not subsidized.

That depends on whether you can buy the phone without the service.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

The article didn't say "no CDMA version". It said AT&T has a 5-year exclusive deal in the US.

If there is market demand for a CDMA version in other countries, Apple is not barred from releasing such a product. But I can't imagine there being that much demand outside of the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That depends on whether you can buy the phone without the service.

Every report I've read says "no".
  • Reply 18 of 76
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpm16601 View Post

Yet one more reason VZW is of no interest.

TFTFY.

AT&T/Cingular is not great, but VZW's continued insistence on crippling all the phones it sells just sends a big FU message to its customers. Perhaps they will rethink this strategy if and when they start losing customers to the iPhone (but they'll still be waiting a long few years).
  • Reply 19 of 76
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morris View Post

It does make sense. Apart from some networks in the U.S. (and Iraq and possibly in the future Afghanistan ) hardly anyone uses CDMA.

Apple is just targeting the largest worldwide market.

Actually, its not just 'some networks', CDMA is #1 in the USA... yep, more popular than GSM. CDMA is also very popular in S. Korea, and has over 300 million users worldwide.

Yes, GSM is more popular overall worldwide (over 80% marketshare), but even so, CDMA is far from being a small market and a tech that 'hardly anyone uses'... unless you consider those 300 million users (equal to the current population of the US) as being 'hardly anyone'. \

• Reply 20 of 76
    domerdeldomerdel Posts: 78member
    I'm shocked

US - Verizon Customer

My contract isn't up for another year. If iPhone lives up to the hype, I'll have it this time, next year. Until then...