Mac Help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My cousin recently got an "iMac G4" verson 10.1.4. She wanted my father and me to look at it, a couple things were not working properly. My father and I are quite fine with Windows, and I am ok with Linux, but neither of us have worked on a mac before. The first thing is safari, it is not working. Actually it is not all there. I downloaded 'Safari' and the update, but the computer cannot execute 'dmg' files. It does not have 'Disk Image Mounter', so I went to 'Mac Help', ran a search on 'dmg', it told me a little about 'dmgs', and then there was 'Open Disk Copy for me." command. I clicked on it, but nothing happened. Are these programs supposed to come with the operating system? Do I need to reinstall? Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elatha View Post

My cousin recently got an "iMac G4" verson 10.1.4. She wanted my father and me to look at it, a couple things were not working properly. My father and I are quite fine with Windows, and I am ok with Linux, but neither of us have worked on a mac before. The first thing is safari, it is not working. Actually it is not all there. I downloaded 'Safari' and the update, but the computer cannot execute 'dmg' files. It does not have 'Disk Image Mounter', so I went to 'Mac Help', ran a search on 'dmg', it told me a little about 'dmgs', and then there was 'Open Disk Copy for me." command. I clicked on it, but nothing happened. Are these programs supposed to come with the operating system? Do I need to reinstall? Thank you for your time.

Yes, all those programs should have come with the OS. First thing that I would try is zapping the PRAM by following instructions here: http://macs.about.com/cs/onlinecours...sclassic02.htm

Then I would download a program called Onyx and have it run all of the maintenance scripts and clear all caches, etc. Then as a last resort, reinstall the Mac OS with a combined update downloaded from Apple's Support site.

Hope it works. Anyone else?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Hope it works. Anyone else?

Good advice, but understand that OS 10.1 is about five years old by now. In fact, if you download Onyx, make sure that you get the 1.3.1 version. The newer versions will not run on 10.1.

Panther (10.3.9) would be about the minimum! It is a good machine, have fun with it!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    elathaelatha Posts: 3member
    I thank you both. I will try this as soon as I get the opportunity, and I will then let you know how things unfolded.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    All those things should be working , as they are apps included with the mac. If you have the system restore discs, I'd just re-do everything and start with a clean machine.

Sounds like the previous owner might have deleted some stuff that shouldn't have been.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    elathaelatha Posts: 3member
    I was finally able to get the keyboard, so I could open the cdrom. I OS 10.1.4 reinstalled, and I have gone through the update software a couple of times. I am now at OS 10.1.5, but I am unable to go any further, for when it tries to install iPod Updater 2006-01-10, it does not. First, the license agreement is blank, but I go ahead and agree to nothing. After it has downloaded it and tried to install it, it says it failed and recommends I save the update and try it outside of the installer. I do. When the installer loads, it is just the finder menu, and nothing else happens. How can I overcome this? It will not let me update anything else until this is updated. Also, when I try to install sentui or firefox, I get a Disk Copy error saying that the file is invalad. Wait, there is more. IE is not loading everything correctly, and somethings it dose not load at all. One more thing. Does anyone know if there is a version of safari that will work on 10.1.5? The oldest version I can find, 1.0, will only run on 10.2 or higher.