Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any observations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea Not for OS 9 users.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    6.1 has a smoother metal gradient. Much smoother.

• Reply 3 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Looks even smoother than the metal. nib used in safari, iCal, etc. Probably too much to ask to make it use the textured window .nib.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    It also has new qualty controls on MPEG-4 and AAC encoding. Jumping to full-screen size is easier now too.

That is all I have noticed so far.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    why aren't the red/yellow/green buttons recessed like the other metal iApps????? g

ps...i bet that metal looks just like the new AI PB shell....not that i have seen one yet.....damnit....g

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 17
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    QuickTime is a Carbon application, so its user interface is specially-designed (just like iTunes). You wll not be able to change this (just like iTunes!).
  • Reply 7 of 17
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yes, the interface is custom designed. In fact, none of it is pure Aqua at all.

Which brings up the question, if they could go to the length of changing the gradient, why can't they recess the buttons as well?

And no long filename support. I want to break something.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It seems as if brushed metal has evolved into a satin metal finish instead. Not bad.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    huh I thought they rewrote itunes in Cocoa because they are incorporating it into the other iApps...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    sjjsjj Posts: 3member
    The quality of the MP4 audio tracks created with QT 6.1 + iTunes + the Make Mine MPEG-4 Applescript are of much better quality than with the previous version of QT. Almost as good as LAME now.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Perhaps not all of quicktime has been switched to the new metal look because apple is taking the time to do it right. Instead of hacking the hack, they may be replacing it with the standard nib based metalized appearence. This is possible even in carbon.

I love the new version of quicktime. It is indeed more responsive, especially in switching between windowed and full screen mode. Its now absolutely instantaneous and doesn't require an extra step besides a simple command-F. Finally!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by dfiler:

<strong>Perhaps not all of quicktime has been switched to the new metal look because apple is taking the time to do it right. Instead of hacking the hack, they may be replacing it with the standard nib based metalized appearence. This is possible even in carbon.

I love the new version of quicktime. It is indeed more responsive, especially in switching between windowed and full screen mode. Its now absolutely instantaneous and doesn't require an extra step besides a simple command-F. Finally!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, I don't think they are using nibs at all. Just as in the previous version of QT, on a slow processor, I can see the different parts of the custom interface been rendered seperately, however it does happen within a split second.

Being as the interface is custom, it's probably possible to make the buttons recessed.

There is a good way of testing for custom widgets or not. In any window (other than QuickTime, one that you are SURE isn't custom, so don't use iTunes) mouseover the menubar wigets in the lower right hand corner, so you aren't actually over the widget, but the striped/metal bar. Now click, the '+' widget should hilight.

Do the same in QT. Nada. Click and it lets you drag the window.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I have noticed that iTunes takes significantly less CPU performance since QT 6.1 comes out. Since iTunes uses Quicktime for the decoding, they must have put some more optimizations in there for MP3 playback.

For instance using QT 6.0.x iTunes would usually take somwhere between 10-20% CPU during plaback, and would peak in the 30% range. Now iTunes takes somewhere between 4-10% for playback and peaks in the high teens for CPU usage.

Anyone else able to confirm this?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    most of the time about 7% to 12%

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Brushed Metal / Recessed Widgets isn't a Carbon / Cocoa issue.

If an App uses a custom interface, it won't be effected by system changes. iTunes and QuickTime are still available for 10.1.5, which doesn't have a system brushed metal theme, and so use custom interfaces.

If an App uses a standard Jaguar .nib file, it can use brushed metal. It doesn't matter if it is carbon, many carbon apps use nib.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 17
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by Producer:

[quote]huh I thought they rewrote itunes in Cocoa because they are incorporating it into the other iApps...<hr></blockquote>

Absolutely not.

People seem to forget that it is entirely possible to mix and match Carbon and Cocoa to end up with applications that are 3/4 Cocoa and 1/4 Carbon. AFAIK the whole of QuickTime (the codecs, the media handlers, the file layer) are all Carbon and yet Cocoa apps can use them. In that respect, every multimedia app is a Carbon app - and maybe a Cocoa app too.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Haven't gotten it yet (damn modems...) but that metal looks better.

So 6.1 speeds up iTunes? That alone is very cool.

Now if only iPods would play MP4...C'mon Apple it's been a while since QT 6 came out.