New MacBook Pro's Tuesday!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Or sometime next week. No one's seen a MacBook Pro in stock (at Ingram) for over a week and a CTO has been processing at Apple for over two weeks. This will be my first post as well as prediction... only time will tell if I'm right...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    Why Tuesday? Why would Apple release a new product like this before the WWDC?
  • Reply 2 of 84
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M4C N00B View Post

Why Tuesday? Why would Apple release a new product like this before the WWDC?

They need room for a new iMac!
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Oh my gof , it starts again, I'm going to have a heart attack lol

I'm waiting for the new MBP !!!

I hope that they will release them soon...

But , I'm not sure they will be released next tuesday...

and the argument saying that all the shops are out of stock is not true!

They've been dry of stock for weeks!!!!!

(But I'm still hoping)
  • Reply 4 of 84
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

They need room for a new iMac!

Well both the new [rumoured] MacBook Pro and iMac are said to feature clean-sheet designs ? which leads me to believe that Apple will make a big fuss about them.

I suspect the WWDC will concentrate on Leopard, so if Apple does launch a new design, it's going to be the 'one more thing', and it's going to be exactly that ? ONE more thing.

Which poses the question ? which product will feature a new clean-sheet design, and which will merely be a spec bump that rolled out without much fanfare?
  • Reply 5 of 84
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    There have been rumors about the next iMacs being completely redesigned. There have hardly been any rumors about a complete MacBook Pro redesign.

So it's probably save to assume that iMacs will get a redesign and MacBook Pros merely a spec bump.

But then one could argue that both share components, with iMacs effectively being desktop variants of MacBook Pro motherboards. So they might both get updated...

My guess however is that MacBook Pros will get a quiet speedbump like the MacBooks before WWDC and a radical new iMac design will be the 'One More Thing' at WWDC.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    sopraninosopranino Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Well both the new [rumoured] MacBook Pro and iMac are said to feature clean-sheet designs......

Very interesting comment, what information sources have you seen (or heard) that indicates a 'clean-sheet design' for the MBP? (please do not read this as an attack on your statement)

If this is indeed accurate it would be one of the first indicators I've seen that the MBP has a case redesign coming. (Definitely good news)
  • Reply 7 of 84
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

There have hardly been any rumors about a complete MacBook Pro redesign.

Doesn't mean there isn't going to be a redesign. Apple's been very good at keeping secrets. What are those "top secret" Leopard features?
  • Reply 8 of 84
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    While we're all excited about prospects of brand new designs and top secret features, if you look back, most of those expectations were squashed.

Let's face it, Apple is a much more 'conservative' company than we would like them to be.

'Radically new' producs are hardly radical and redesigns are often just evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Playing devil's advocate here:

What if the 'top secret' new features in Leopard are nothing more than a revamped user interface? Maybe that's it. A few new widgets and less brushed metal. And they had to redo the widgets anyway because of the new resolution independence.

And perhaps any new MacBook Pro design will be more akin to the last 'major' change where Apple added the magnetic power plug and a built-in iSight camera. Nice evolutionary step, but hardly revolutionary.

Thinking back, even the new MacBooks were hardly radically different from the iBooks before.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonephishing View Post

Or sometime next week. No one's seen a MacBook Pro in stock (at Ingram) for over a week and a CTO has been processing at Apple for over two weeks. This will be my first post as well as prediction... only time will tell if I'm right...

We've been getting the same thing, from the same vendor, actually. Ingram is low on MBP stock and keeps saying "report your inventory".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marcoetpolo View Post

Oh my gof , it starts again, I'm going to have a heart attack lol

I'm waiting for the new MBP !!!

I hope that they will release them soon...

But , I'm not sure they will be released next tuesday...

and the argument saying that all the shops are out of stock is not true!

They've been dry of stock for weeks!!!!!

(But I'm still hoping)

They've been so dry because everyone has to "play the game". That is, we have to keep in stock so we can sell to consumers, yet we need to keep our stock low so we aren't full of outdated machines when the update comes. Basically, we try to order in only what we can sell in one day, so we get in or shipment and by the end of the day, we're empty again. Of course, it's hard to guess when people will come in, so we sometimes are sold out, while other times we have surplus.

Quote:

Thinking back, even the new MacBooks were hardly radically different from the iBooks before.

From a repairman's standpoint, I disagree. The iBook, while a decent machine, had a pretty shoddy casing, while the MacBook seems much more solid and well built, and reminds me more of the 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    While in Honolulu last week my 5 month old 17" MacBook Pro was stolen when my rental car was broken into. I need to buy a new one but feel like I should wait for the updated models. Right now I'm using a horrible, slow HP laptop that weighs 14lbs and has major issues. I've followed the rumors and reports hoping that I can replace my 17" MacBook with the LED Santa Rosa model by June 11th, but now I'm nervous. Any confirmation of the below report (from PC Magazine)?

"As previously reported here, the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro will sport a brand new display with an LED backlight, Apple's first such product offering.

Apple's 17-inch MacBook Pro will not see a substantial display improvement with this revision, however. LED backlight technology has yet to be deployed for displays that size and larger, and is not expected to arrive until the end of the year. Similarly, the 17-inch MacBook Pro will continue to sport a resolution of 1680x1050, sources say, and will not see a bump to the native high-definition resolution of 1920x1200. Apple has considered upgrading its 17-inch laptop to that high-def resolution for more than two years, and even briefly included a reference to it in manuals accompanying the 17-inch PowerBook two years ago."
  • Reply 11 of 84
    m4c n00bm4c n00b Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

While in Honolulu last week my 5 month old 17" MacBook Pro was stolen when my rental car was broken into. I need to buy a new one but feel like I should wait for the updated models. Right now I'm using a horrible, slow HP laptop that weighs 14lbs and has major issues. I've followed the rumors and reports hoping that I can replace my 17" MacBook with the LED Santa Rosa model by June 11th, but now I'm nervous. Any confirmation of the below report (from PC Magazine)?

"As previously reported here, the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro will sport a brand new display with an LED backlight, Apple's first such product offering.

Apple's 17-inch MacBook Pro will not see a substantial display improvement with this revision, however. LED backlight technology has yet to be deployed for displays that size and larger, and is not expected to arrive until the end of the year. Similarly, the 17-inch MacBook Pro will continue to sport a resolution of 1680x1050, sources say, and will not see a bump to the native high-definition resolution of 1920x1200. Apple has considered upgrading its 17-inch laptop to that high-def resolution for more than two years, and even briefly included a reference to it in manuals accompanying the 17-inch PowerBook two years ago."

Like the article says, the technology is not there to roll out a 17-inch with an LED backlight display.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Post this every week and one day you'll actually be right.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Oh, man that's a huge bummer. Would Apple really release an LED on the 15" MBP and keep the "flagship" 17" going as an outdated model? I know they did that briefly in the switch to Intel... Is it more logical to expect the kind of update they can implement across all MBP models, such as Santa Rosa and wait until the LED technology is there for the whole line? Would they at least move to 1920 x 1080 for the 17" on this next update possibly? There are loads of 17" laptops out there with better screens than the current MBP.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Well both the new [rumoured] MacBook Pro and iMac are said to feature clean-sheet designs ? which leads me to believe that Apple will make a big fuss about them.

I suspect the WWDC will concentrate on Leopard, so if Apple does launch a new design, it's going to be the 'one more thing', and it's going to be exactly that ? ONE more thing.

Which poses the question ? which product will feature a new clean-sheet design, and which will merely be a spec bump that rolled out without much fanfare?

Wait a second. Who said that it HAS to be just one item in the one more thing? like it's been said above, both the iMac and the MBP are built from the same basic elements. Couldn't it be possible that they introduce both, for example, 'obviously such a step up in the software will need just as large a step up for the hardware. This is why today we are announcing the first Macs with Intel's new Santa Rosa technology. First, the iMac. It's been the most revolutionary desktop computer since the Apple II. But the iMac has hardly been touched by our designers for almost four years. It's time for a change. Introducing the new Santa Rosa iMac... (fill in spec features here) ...but we can't stop there. We said we were going to concentrate this year on notebook sales, particularly the MacBook Pro. We are glad to announce that it will also receive Intel's Santa Rosa technology [inside it's redesigned case].' and go from there. It's not out of the question in my opinion. Two redesigns could definitely happen. It's happened before. It can, and I think will happen. Personally, though, I don't think there's necessarily going to be a case redesign for the MBP (though I won't put it out of the question).
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:

Oh, man that's a huge bummer. Would Apple really release an LED on the 15" MBP and keep the "flagship" 17" going as an outdated model? I know they did that briefly in the switch to Intel... Is it more logical to expect the kind of update they can implement across all MBP models, such as Santa Rosa and wait until the LED technology is there for the whole line? Would they at least move to 1920 x 1080 for the 17" on this next update possibly? There are loads of 17" laptops out there with better screens than the current MBP.

Yes, they would, and I'm almost positive they will update the 15.4" screens on the next refresh (or rumored rebuild) with LED backlit displays. We've received reports that Apple ordered (a while back) 100,000 15.4" LED displays. This number is definitely larger than one for testing or prototype purposes. The time is now to start the transition to LED - Jobs even said that "We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007." They have the displays, and obviously have the plans made, why wait? It wouldn't totally surprise me, though, if they did offer the 15.4" in LCD still as a different cost option, but in the back of my mind, I do doubt that. What you do suggest, though, upgrading the 17" screen wouldn't be out of the question, so people don't feel gipped on that one, though I too kinda doubt that. Oh, and by the way, the 17" MBP isn't the "flagship," it's the 15.4"... they've sold considerably better.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

'obviously such a step up in the software will need just as large a step up for the hardware. This is why today we are announcing the first Macs with Intel's new Santa Rosa technology. First, the iMac. It's been the most revolutionary desktop computer since the Apple II. But the iMac has hardly been touched by our designers for almost four years. It's time for a change. Introducing the new Santa Rosa iMac... (fill in spec features here) ...but we can't stop there. We said we were going to concentrate this year on notebook sales, particularly the MacBook Pro. We are glad to announce that it will also receive Intel's Santa Rosa technology [inside it's redesigned case].'

that's good

Actually, as an AAPL investor and as a buyer of the next MBP, I hope they don't change the case--if it's "almost perfect," as the proponents of a new case say, I'd rather they bring it closer to perfection and maybe add some "fun new stuff" (like Magsafe and iSight), instead of redesigning it, which has huge costs, would probably bring a bunch of rev. A issues, might not be as "near perfect" as this, etc. Maybe they could pretty up the absolute exterior to make everyone happy.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Let's face it, Apple is a much more 'conservative' company than we would like them to be.

'Radically new' producs are hardly radical and redesigns are often just evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Actually, I feel Apple has made some fairly radical product debuts. eg: The original "gumdrop" iMac, the "desklamp" iMac, features like MagSafe and Backlit keyboard, etc...

Apple has been conservative with their tower models (spec-wise), but their design and features on other lines have been unique and creative. (imo)

Quote:

What if the 'top secret' new features in Leopard are nothing more than a revamped user interface? Maybe that's it. A few new widgets and less brushed metal.

If that were all they were doing, I don't think Steve Jobs would have hyped the "secret features" the way he did. His ego is too fragile to pump something simple and have people laugh at him.

I'm expecting something interesting. eg: Maybe some 3D aspects, "piles," real-time window zooming (to read fine print), etc...
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

that's good

Actually, as an AAPL investor and as a buyer of the next MBP, I hope they don't change the case--if it's "almost perfect," as the proponents of a new case say, I'd rather they bring it closer to perfection and maybe add some "fun new stuff" (like Magsafe and iSight), instead of redesigning it, which has huge costs, would probably bring a bunch of rev. A issues, might not be as "near perfect" as this, etc. Maybe they could pretty up the absolute exterior to make everyone happy.

Yeah, that's why I put the brackets around the case part for the MBP... I don't know if it's going to happen, and the back of my mind says it's not going to. And I'm not going to say I want a case redesign or not, because I haven't seen what they may come up with. But I do like the current look, but who knows if they might make a better one.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

that's good

Sorry, what are the supposed changes to the case? I can't really picture much changing... The brushed aluminum will remain right? Would they just make it a bit thinner?
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:

Sorry, what are the supposed changes to the case? I can't really picture much changing... The brushed aluminum will remain right? Would they just make it a bit thinner?

They could redesign it from the ground up, including materials, etc., or they could improve details, like the latch system, trims here and there, colors, maybe materials, etc., hopefully thus focusing more on the inside, which, as we all know (or hope), is what counts.