Shiira Anyone?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Here's the link:

http://shiira.jp/en.php

Has anyone tried this browser? I just came across it and one feature that really makes me wanna try it is the tabs reacting with expose'. I use only Camino, but I would want to try this when I get home from work. Anyone have any experience with it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    It's a nice alternative to Safari and has a bunch of fun features, like the full screen mode and the thumbnail tabs. Sure, these features are available in other browsers as well like OmniWeb and (ugh) Internet Explorer 7, but Shiira does them in a particularly slick manner.

Unfortunately version 2.0 is extremely buggy with all sorts of GUI problems and weird behaviour. Still worth downloading and playing around with I would say.

edit

Oh, also wanted to note that the developer also lists a bunch of other nice downloads:

1) Shiira mini is also quite nifty, though slightly silly, browser you can run from the Dashboard.

2) Minutes is a nice timer with Growl notifications and iTunes compatibility which I use all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Here's the link:

http://shiira.jp/en.php

Has anyone tried this browser? ...

Who hasn't? Oh, yeah--forget I asked. At any rate Shiira 2.0 is a Web Kit-based browser. It works. That is all I expect of a browser.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Who hasn't? Oh, yeah--forget I asked. At any rate Shiira 2.0 is a Web Kit-based browser. It works. That is all I expect of a browser.

I first learned about Shiira a few months ago, it was quite nice, but I had just moved from Camino to Safari and didn't feel like changing again, so I decided to wait for 2.0.

2.0 does not work despite being a WebKit based browser. It's horribly buggy and reminds me more of an Alpha release. I can't even get a browser window open with the latest update.

Otherwise, it is very nice, but it has some very large very glaring very mean flaws.

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

2.0 does not work despite being a WebKit based browser. ...

Works for me. Perhaps yours is a local issue.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Works for me. Perhaps yours is a local issue.

Hmm... I thought about it, but the only thing I can think of is that I use WebKit Nightly Builds as my default browser, which is just Safari with the latest WebKit build running anyways.

But I don't see how that would cause an issue with Shiira.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Shiira isn't that bad, it just seems like the rendering could be a little faster. Camino has the best rendering w/ OS X, but Shiira does have a lot of nice features.