Apple Mighty Mouse Scroll Problems??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hi, this is my second mighty mouse and for some reason it just does not want to scroll down anymore, it will scroll every other way but this is a huge annoyance for me, anyone have a fix?

ive tried to reset the bluetooth, changed batteries and everything, nothing is working

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

hi, this is my second mighty mouse and for some reason it just does not want to scroll down anymore, it will scroll every other way but this is a huge annoyance for me, anyone have a fix?

ive tried to reset the bluetooth, changed batteries and everything, nothing is working

Oh yeah... notorious issue with these. The little rubber ball gets stuff under it and just doesn't work well after a while. Also, many seem to require high-quality AA batteries, or newer batteries frequently. I took mine into the Genius bar after finding hundreds of posts about my issue online and he put in brand new Lithium batteries and it worked for him. The next day, back to not really working. I finally got so mad I just smashed down the rubber ball as hard as I could and it's actually been working ok lately (not recommended!). I didn't figure out how to take it all apart and clean out under the scroll ball, which is what the Genius recommended. I've heard of many people getting replacements at the Genius bar and the newer versions seem to be better...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

I suggest you throw that piece of crap away and get a real mouse. While you are waiting for that real mouse to arrive, you can rub the ball in all directions vigorously with a damp towel.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I suggest you throw that piece of crap away and get a real mouse. While you are waiting for that real mouse to arrive, you can rub the ball in all directions vigorously with a damp towel.

That actually works great, except for the getting a new mouse thing. Whenever it happens to me I just dampen a cloth, hold the mouse upside-down and rub the scroll-ball with the cloth in different directions. I think you'll find this method works nicely, and I only have to do it every few months - a small price to pay for such a sweet mouse!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

I finally got so mad I just smashed down the rubber ball as hard as I could and it's actually been working ok lately (not recommended!).

I on the other hand would highly recommend that method disgruntled Mighty Mouse owner number 9,486,320. I advise getting another mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF

I think you'll find this method works nicely, and I only have to do it every few months - a small price to pay for such a sweet mouse!

You shouldn't have to do it, at all, end of story. When Steve demoed Apple's pro mouse way back when, he was brash to point out that because there was no ball ("it's optical") it couldn't get stuck, then Apple went and added a ball again, but this time they added a tiny one, and to the greasy side of the mouse!! Huh? The Mighty mouse is unique, yes, it's cute, yes, but it's not practical, reliable, useable, ergonomic, comfortable or clever. For flip sake, you can't even right click when your finger is resting on the left side of the mouse, God knows what they were thinking. From where I'm sitting Apple can't do mouse. They either need to listen to all the stick they have been getting from their users about the Mighty Mouse, or they need to make that touchscreen keyboard I've been waiting for, it could be so cool, and so productive.. if it was done right. For the time being I'd recommend the Logitech MX Revolution.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    If you like your mighty mouse then a little maintenence is not out of the question. The little ball which we have contact with, transfers what ever is on your finger to the 4, very small, rollers that the ball comes in contact with. It doesn't take much to gunk them up and it does't take much to clean them very well either. Take a look at mightymouserepair.com it will take you through how to take your mouse apart and thoroughly clean your trak ball.

Yes, the trak ball could have been better designed...but it is interesting to see how the mouse is put together...it appears to be made rather well.

Happy wrenching!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    This doesn't belong in Future Hardware.