U3 garbage on flash drives

-df-df
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to delete the partition on Sandisk flash drives with the "stellar" U3 technology?

The drive mounts as two separate volumes and it's severely annoying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
  • Reply 2 of 10
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Thanks, you did me a solid
  • Reply 3 of 10
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    Those drives are not severly annoying, they are the spawn of the devil.

I hate U3. Alot.

Nice to know there is an uninstaller, though. Maybe I can stop avoiding sandisk USB drives...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Is there a counterpart of U3 that works on a Mac? The concept is okay, if you have a platform it'll work on.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

How were you able to download and use the uninstaller for the SanDisk U3 USB?

When I download the uninstaller, I get "launchpadremoval.EXE which of course doesn't work on my Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

When I download the uninstaller, I get "launchpadremoval.EXE which of course doesn't work on my Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Do you have access to a Windows machine?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Do you have access to a Windows machine?

I have two PC's. Unfortunately, I haven't used them since a year after I got a Mac - five years ago. I live in south Florida where the humidity is high and both PC's are dead - moisture in the electronics I think. You have to use electronics regularly to keep them heated and dry.

I assume what you're going to say is to uninstall the U3 on a PC since the uninstaller doesn't work on a Mac.

Good idea. I'll take it to work where I HAVE to use #$%^&*# PC's.

It's ironic: The U3 doesn't work on a Mac. You would think they would at least have a work-around so that the uninstaller would work on a Mac,

Thanks for the push in the right direction.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I have two PC's. Unfortunately, I haven't used them since a year after I got a Mac - five years ago. I live in south Florida where the humidity is high and both PC's are dead - moisture in the electronics I think. You have to use electronics regularly to keep them heated and dry.

I assume what you're going to say is to uninstall the U3 on a PC since the uninstaller doesn't work on a Mac.

Good idea. I'll take it to work where I HAVE to use #$%^&*# PC's.

It's ironic: The U3 doesn't work on a Mac. You would think they would at least have a work-around so that the uninstaller would work on a Mac,

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Try at a public library.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I also have a U3 and went through this very same thing (and borrowed a room mate's computer to erase the stuff).

What really irks me about it is the fact that the flash drives are listed as Mac-compatible. My thing is this: "If you say you're Mac-compatible, then you should support Macs with all your features, or at least work as a regular flash drive!"