Apple's Steve Jobs takes the hot seat at D5 (live)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has begun his interview at the D: All Things Digital conference taking place at Four Seasons Resort Avaria in Carlsbad, Calif.

Live updates are available from the official D5: All Things Digital feed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

1:05 p.m.: How many copies of iTunes are out there? Jobs: Lots. Several times more than the number of iPods. Walt notes that that makes it one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software out there?and it?s predominantly on Windows machines. ?That makes Apple one of the biggest developers of Windows software around,? Walt observes. Jobs: ?That?s right. ? It?s like offering a glass of ice water to people in hell.?

Also, Youtube on Apple TV, and they're working on allowing developers to develop for iPhone, he just wants it to be 10x more stable than a computer.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This answered a few questions, and opened up a few mor questions.

The biggest to me, is that Jobs stated with certainy, that they WOULD have third party developers on the iPhone.

The other things were, ok.

Previously, he had said that 3G was coming for the iPhone. He didn't say that here.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This answered a few questions, and opened up a few mor questions.

The biggest to me, is that Jobs stated with certainy, that they WOULD have third party developers on the iPhone.

The other things were, ok.

Previously, he had said that 3G was coming for the iPhone. He didn't say that here.

Just clarification for those that read that line but didn't bother reading the interview, he said that it doesn't make sense because WiFi is much faster, but he also never said that it would never come to iPhone. (I'm attempting to stop the flood before it destroys the damned dam)

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Why is the iPhone a 2½G phone when 3G is available? Jobs doesn’t seem to think 3G is necessary. He touts an iPhone Wi-Fi detection feature that alerts users to available hot spots. He says Wi-Fi is proliferating and it’s “way faster than 3G.”

Sounds perfect to me. I just hope I don't have to buy into a contract with a large (expensive) data plan to get the iPhone.

I'll still use the data plan a bit while I'm on the move (mainly for directions), but I'll save the bulk of my internet access (emailing, browsing) for when I'm on a Wi-Fi connection. Unless cellular providers can come up with a sane pricing scheme (not likely within the next few years anyways, especially here in Canada).

So yeah, I don't personally have a need for 3G.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Just clarification for those that read that line but didn't bother reading the interview, he said that it doesn't make sense because WiFi is much faster, but he also never said that it would never come to iPhone. (I'm attempting to stop the flood before it destroys the damned dam)

Sebastian

Right. I didn't mean that he said that it wouldn't come. He spoke about why they haven't put it in now, and why it wasn't useful now, but, he didn't discount his earlier statement.

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, MacCentral has a better version of the interview:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05...eatd/index.php
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Apple issued a press release about the new Apple TV, which will also have a 160 GB HDD as a build-to-order option.

Source: iLounge

Press Release

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Right. I didn't mean that he said that it wouldn't come. He spoke about why they haven't put it in now, and why it wasn't useful now, but, he didn't discount his earlier statement.

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, MacCentral has a better version of the interview:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05...eatd/index.php

I know, I just have faith in the Digg Faithful to twist anything anyone says anywhere.

Thanks for the Macworld version.

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 20
    He did mention new desktops at WWDC as well. I'm fuckin pumped.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

He did mention new desktops at WWDC as well. I'm fuckin pumped.

Where? (With Link and Quote)

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 20
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Jobs told Mossberg that Cingular — now AT&T — did a deal with Apple differently from the arrangements that it’s made with other cell phone makers. He attributes this to two major benefits Apple brings to the table — one is music, which Jobs says hasn’t been successful on phones so far, and the other is the ‘3G’ cell phone network.

“They have spent a fortune building these 3G networks, and so far there ain’t a lot to do with them,” Jobs said wryly. Apple promises a richer multimedia and Internet experience with the iPhone than many of its competitors are capable of.

From the interview, sounds like Jobs is actually counting on 3G on the iPhone in the future. Makes sense, since with the iPhone's rich internet experience, cellphone customers will start to see 3G (and data plans) as essential, not just something that's 'nice' to have. This is huge as far as the wireless carriers are concerned.

It's an improvement on his other rhetoric, where he seemed to discount 3G just because ATT's 3G network wasn't ready for prime-time quite yet (which is why iPhone 1.0 is EDGE and not 3G... ATT has far better EDGE coverage than 3G so far. But give it a year).

• Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

“We thought of it as a set-top box replacement, but the minute you do that you get into a gnarly set of problems because you have to have the cable cards, and go through the cable companies, and they use this very strange software so you can implement their billing systems, and that’s just never something we would choose to do ourselves."

It's funny, people complain about lack of PVR ability in AppleTV, and lack of 3G in the iPhone. However, I applaud Apple for giving the finger to the archaic billing schemes and convoluted technology for enforcing them employed by the cellular and cable companies.

I can't imagine how much work it would be to develop for and support the hundreds of different cable card systems used by different set-top boxes and cable companies. Open standards and technology are the way to go if you want a future-proof device.

PVRs will become irrelevant if you can buy a weekly subscription to your favorite shows and have them automatically downloaded to your set-top box, ready for you to watch anytime. Ditto for Mobile Wi-Max as opposed to 3G. People need to look beyond what they've gotten used to and see a future where $150+ per month for a huge cable package or a similar monthly price for a mobile data package seems outrageous.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

?What everybody?s tried, and where we?ve come from, too, is coming from the personal computer market, you first think about getting content from PC to widescreen TV. And I?m not sure that?s what consumers want,? mused Jobs. ?Yeah, it?s great to get that all on there, but we tend to think of that as the entree. And the more we think about it, we think that that stuff is the peas on the side. And the entree might be content on the Internet.?

Seems Jobs also admits Apple has not found sure footing with Apple TV. I think being able to stream from you computer to your television is a good idea. But most people won't want to deal with that. Renting movies from the internet and temporarily saving them on Apple TV would be far more popular.

Quote:

They have spent a fortune building these 3G networks, and so far there ain?t a lot to do with them,? Jobs said wryly. Apple promises a richer multimedia and Internet experience with the iPhone than many of its competitors are capable of.

Does seem a contradiction to say AT&T was attracted to the iPhone because it spent a lot of money on 3G but has no phone that can take full advantage. Then say iPhone does not need 3G because of WiFi.

I may get an iPhone. I'll have to gauge the plans but I may get a minimal data plan and mostly count on WiFi in the wild for internet connection.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Ditto for Mobile Wi-Max as opposed to 3G.

That depends on AT&T's plan for Wi-Max. They are still behind in rolling out 3G. So far Sprint is the only company that is pushing a road map for Wi-Max.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    For those who still debate if iPhone will run a ful or embedded version OS X.

Quote:

Mossberg suggested that the iPhone doesn’t have the entire operating system on it, but Jobs protested.“Yes it does. The entire OS is gigabytes, but it’s data. We don’t need desktop patterns, sound files. If you take out the data, the OS isn’t that huge.

• Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

For those who still debate if iPhone will run a ful or embedded version OS X.

People actually debated it?

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

That depends on AT&T's plan for Wi-Max. They are still behind in rolling out 3G. So far Sprint is the only company that is pushing a road map for Wi-Max.

Here in Canada, given the prices of 3G data plans, WiMAX seems to be the best alternative. I'm curious to see how it'll work with the iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

I may get an iPhone. I'll have to gauge the plans but I may get a minimal data plan and mostly count on WiFi in the wild for internet connection.

I don't think you'll have much choice in the matter.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Here in Canada, given the prices of 3G data plans, WiMAX seems to be the best alternative.

Canada has Wi-Max?

Quote:

I don't think you'll have much choice in the matter.

It'll be interesting to see what ATT does with service plans. On one hand the whole reason ATT agreed to the iPhone is to make money from data plans. But at the same time the cell phone market is saturated. ATT will gain customers by stealing them from competitors. They need to offer a sweet deal to convince us to leave.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Canada has Wi-Max?

Yeah... for about a year now

The only downside is that it hasn't really been designed for mobile usage since you need to have a modem (and a power outlet to plug into) to use it. So it'll be interesting to see if/when the iPhone will support it somehow.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

http://www.clearwire.com/

They are a new company, but they are coming on strongly. We'll see what the furure holds.