Restoring Lost Image File Icons

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I restored my system using Apple's backup software. Unfortunately, all the actual creation dates and mini-icons for my picture files were lost. Here's what I mean:

The icons on the top are the ones I imported from Backup. The ones on the bottom are newly imported from my camera. As you can see, the ones from Backup are missing their custom icons, where the newly downloaded files have them. It didn't used to be this way - prior to restoring, every picture had a custom icon.

So what I'm wondering is how to force the system to create those custom icons again.

Thanks!

P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    - ?(r)?z -- ?(r)?z - Posts: 127member
    A possible workaround.

Open the folder those images are in; Control-click or Right-click a blank area of the folder, then choose "Show View Options." Select "Show icon preview," and choose either "This window only" or "All windows."

If you haven't used the "Show View Options" preferences before, and if you have certain folders already configured to your liking (i.e. file placement etc.,) select "This window only" before playing with any of the other selections. Otherwise, when set to "All windows," selections affect folders System-wide.

Show View Options (example)

• Reply 2 of 4
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

A possible workaround.

Open the folder those images are in; Control-click or Right-click a blank area of the folder, then choose "Show View Options." Select "Show icon preview," and choose either "This window only" or "All windows."

If you haven't used the "Show View Options" preferences before, and if you have certain folders already configured to your liking (i.e. file placement etc.,) select "This window only" before playing with any of the other selections. Otherwise, when set to "All windows," selections affect folders System-wide.

Show View Options (example)

I feel like we're halfway there... thanks for your help so far! I did that and the Finder successfully generated the icons when in the Icon View Mode. However, unfortunately, when I switched back to list mode, they disappeared. Rats! Any idea how to make the Finder continue displaying the small icons?

What about the terminal?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    - ?(r)?z -- ?(r)?z - Posts: 127member
    I apologize. I only know of the "Show View Options" suggestion.