Apple preps MacBook Pro updates, launches online outlet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Several bits of anecdotal evidence have turned up in recent days to suggest that it won't be long before Apple refreshes its professional notebook line with speedier models. Meanwhile, tipsters note that the company has launched its new online outlet store.

MacBook Pro updates

With last month's rather mild 13-inch MacBook refresh in the rear-view mirror, Apple is believed to be in the final preparatory stages of launching a more significant update to its professional line of MacBook Pro notebooks.

The new 15- and 17-inch portables, which AppleInsider began detailing back in January, are expected to borrow several architectural enhancements from Intel Corp.'s Santa Rosa platform while also introducing L.E.D.-backlit displays to the 15-inch models.

According to an industry source who has filed accurate reports in the past, Apple ramped down production of its current MacBook Pros a few weeks ago. The source notes that pending orders for new models in regions that require custom parts -- such as alternative keyboard layouts -- have been on backorder for a number of weeks with a estimated delivery date of "early June."

The source added that a similar series of events played out last year, ahead of Core 2 Duo updates to the then Core Duo 13-inch MacBooks.

At the same time, a second -- albeit unverified -- report claims that Apple this week accidently fired-off an email communication regarding the impending MacBook Pro updates to its major U.S. distributors and high level dealers.

The e-mail, titled "Setup info for new SKUs," purportedly contained new part numbers, product dimensions, palette makeup, and pricing information. The shipping weight for the two 15-inch MacBook configurations was listed at 10lbs (approximately the same as the 10.4lbs listed for current models), while the shipping weight for the 17-inch model was listed at 11lbs (compared to 11.6lbs).

A price list accompanying the communication was said to reflect no changes from today's MacBook Pro pricing.

Within minutes of sending the e-mail, Apple reportedly sent out a second communication calling the first message a "mistake" and asking that the information contained therein be discarded.

Apple Outlet Store

Meanwhile, Apple this week launched its Apple Outlet -- essentially a branded and remodeled section of its online store reserved for the sale of clearance items and refurbished products.

The update drew particular interest amongst tipsters, who noted that the outlet launched with a Mac section stock-full of refurbished Core Duo and Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Discounts on the refurbished notebooks ranged from 18 to 41 percent, hinting towards a final inventory clearing ahead of new models.

The Apple Outlet also launches amid reports that Apple has canceled monthly fire sales at some of its brick-and-mortar retail stores. This may imply that a larger majority of returns and open box retail items will now be funneled back through the company's Elk Grove facility in Sacramento for repackaging and sale online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    whilst i won't be buying one this time around, i hope it will be a good update. and provide some vision into what will come in the future. i'll buy when i can do my HD workflow the whole way thru, HDV camera thru to HiDef DVD, on the one machine...

edit: first ever first post!
  • Reply 2 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Apple Outlet also launches amid reports that Apple has canceled monthly fire sales at some of its brick-and-mortar retail stores. This may imply that a larger majority of returns and open box retail items will now be funneled back through the company's Elk Grove facility in Sacramento for repackaging and sale online.

It was monthly? I've seen one and bought a few things last year, but I never saw them again. I assumed it was a one-off event.
  • Reply 3 of 78
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewcod View Post

Digg it

See you in a few days.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    aphydaphyd Posts: 4member
    I am hoping for an ultra-portable announcement at WWDC. I've been waiting to replace my 12" PB since the switch to intel.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aphyd View Post

I am hoping for an ultra-portable announcement at WWDC. I've been waiting to replace my 12" PB since the switch to intel.

Yeah, the 12" PB is magical and classic now. There must be a replacement soon that replaces it with a bang. It must be in the 1kg (2,21 pound) class to be really ultra portable. That would be something for us. Sony does it with vaio... cmon Apple...
  • Reply 7 of 78
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Did you know, you can get the AppleCare for a refurbed Shuffle for only $39? All to cover a $49 device? Wow, Apple's moving into Best Buy territory!
  • Reply 8 of 78
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

The e-mail, titled "Setup info for new SKUs," purportedly contained new part numbers, product dimensions, palette makeup, and pricing information. The shipping weight for the two 15-inch MacBook configurations was listed at 10lbs (approximately the same as the 10.4lbs listed for current models), while the shipping weight for the 17-inch model was listed at 11lbs (compared to 11.6lbs).

Wait a second, they detailed weight reduction for both models, 0.4 reduction for the 15" and 0.6 for the 17". That would suggest both models getting LED displays.

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Wait a second, they detailed weight reduction for both models, 0.4 reduction for the 15" and 0.6 for the 17". That would suggest both models getting LED displays.

Sebastian

Or maybe eco-friendly packaging
  • Reply 10 of 78
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

See you in a few days.

THANK YOU.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 11 of 78
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Or maybe eco-friendly packaging

Yes I just reread it and checked Apple's site. By Shipping weight I assumed they meant the weight of the Macbook Pro itself. 10 and 11 pounds is far too heavy.

In that case, the weight reduction isn't enough.

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 78
    kisinkisin Posts: 14member
    While I don't mind the banning of people for improper posts, what is the reasoning behind banning people that post "digg-its"? is it because it is simply annoying or because the server gets blasted from the digg traffic?
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kisin View Post

While I don't mind the banning of people for improper posts, what is the reasoning behind banning people that post "digg-its"? is it because it is simply annoying or because the server gets blasted from the digg traffic?

A 'Digg It' post is an improper post. It provides zero contribution to the subject matter of the thread.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yes I just reread it and checked Apple's site. By Shipping weight I assumed they meant the weight of the Macbook Pro itself. 10 and 11 pounds is far too heavy.

In that case, the weight reduction isn't enough.

Sebastian

Agreed. However I hope to purchase a 15" with LED santa rosa and... I hope firewire 800 and flash memory. 17" is just too big for me. I couldn't care less about built-in ATT EDGE because I use Verizon.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Sebastian

Or perhaps they did some creative rounding. Never trust integers.

/Adrian
  • Reply 16 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Agreed. However I hope to purchase a 15" with LED santa rosa and... I hope firewire 800 and flash memory.

Current 15" models have FW800.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Any ideas?

Also, how likely is it that we see a Blu-Ray or DVD-HD drive in this refresh? How likely for a enclosure redesign?
  • Reply 18 of 78
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    They have some 15" macbook pros for like $1,599 for the 2.16ghz model...thats pretty good right? I mean, what will this update really do? I'll have the student discount anyways, but i'd be saving like $300?! Someone help me make a decision, lol. I was going to buy a new MBP on July 13, but now idk if I should just get a refurb now.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

They have some 15" macbook pros for like $1,599 for the 2.16ghz model...thats pretty good right? I mean, what will this update really do? I'll have the student discount anyways, but i'd be saving like $300?! Someone help me make a decision, lol. I was going to buy a new MBP on July 13, but now idk if I should just get a refurb now.

Ah, i'd only save $200...and I bet they'll offer a free ipod soon too...
  • Reply 20 of 78
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kisin View Post

This should not have happened solely for a Digg link promoting. I apologize and have already reinstated Andrew.

Best,

K