Only one fan works in my Macbook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys. Like a lot of people I installed the SMC Fan Control freeware app to help keep my mb cooler. But I noticed one thing...the right fan value always shows as -1! It never turns on as far as I can tell. Is this normal for a macbook? I ran a hardware test and it said everything is fine in my system so I don't know if I should mention it to Apple Care.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Both fans show up as working on my macbook pro smcFanControl screen.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Both fans show up as working on my macbook pro smcFanControl screen.

Thanks for the reply.

Anybody have a macbook with smc fancontrol that can tell me if both work on theirs?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gwoodpeckergwoodpecker Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Anybody have a macbook with smc fancontrol that can tell me if both work on theirs?

The MacBook has only ONE fan, whereas the MacBook Pro has TWO of them. That's why. So there is nothing wrong with SMC fancontrol.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

The MacBook has only ONE fan, whereas the MacBook Pro has TWO of them. That's why. So there is nothing wrong with SMC fancontrol.

WHEW! That's good to know. Thanks.

Can you believe I asked a dude at the Genius Bar and he had no idea? I didn't push it cause I had brought the mb in for something else but that really surprised me.

Also, the people who make the software apparently don't know about mbs only having one fan cause the FAQS had the question and it just recommended a hardware check.