Earthlink alternatives?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi, I convinced my mother to get an ibook a month ago and she loves it. Unfotunately I can't convince her to get roadrunner (cable internet). I'm searching for a dial-up service that is national or local (here in syracuse, ny) that runs around $10 bucks a month. There are a ton out there, but they are all windows/mac os 9 compatible. I know I could probably walk through an os X set up (which I would have to learn, being a recent "switcher" myself). What I'm looking for however is something simple for my mother (who is about as computer illiterate as they come) to connect to the internet. AOL and Earthlink are TOO MUCH!

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated....she has very little time left on her free month of earthlink

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Don't worry that they say OS 9, they will work fine in OS X
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Will they work in X itself or launch classic?

I would like to avoid classic completely if possible...

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    i think AOL has a plan that is like $10 a month, but of course your hours are limited. check into it, you might have to call them, then she can use a free trial to start with
  • Reply 4 of 8
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    <a href="http://www.surfbest.net"; target="_blank">SurfBest</a>

It's $12.50 a month, unlimited access. It's a nothing fancy. They don't spend much (if anything) on advertising so you probably haven't heard of them, but they use the same ISP networks as like Earthlink.

They don't have any special software installers, and I don't think their site even has Mac OS X setup instructions, but it's not hard to configure at all. I reccomend them.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Are Juno or NetZero OS X compatible. Those are $9.95 a month for unlimited dial-up access.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If the ISP doesn't use some sort of advertising software, you should be able to configure it yourself. The problem with the cheapo ones is that they generally have some type of subsidizing plan. If you can just get the DNS info and your login/password information, you ought to be ok. It should be a piece of cake to set up.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>Are Juno or NetZero OS X compatible. Those are $9.95 a month for unlimited dial-up access.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think those are only for Windoze users
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks y'all!

I guess i will end up having to setup things manually...