Quick Question from a PC user buying a Macbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need a laptop for writing on the road and decided I would give Apple a try. It will be my first time on an Apple so I was wondering if some of you guys could answer a few questions......

My home computer is a PC and I would like to know if I can network and transfer files between the two? Also can I use my internet connection (cable) from my PC on my Apple laptop? If I can use the same connection what would I need to buy along with the laptop to make this possible?

Last Question!!

MacBook or MacBook Pro?

$1100 vs $2000 for better video, twice the memory, 40gb more HD space, 200mhz faster proc, bigger screen.

Is it worth it if I am just going to be using the internet, putting my pics on it, and using the word processor?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    If that is your intended use, then a MacBook will do just fine.

Networking your PC and a Mac is no problem. Your PC can read and copy from the Mac, but it can't write to a Mac formatted drive. So if you need to get something from PC to Mac, you'll need to do it from the Mac side.

Whether your internet connection is wireless or wired, you should be able to use the internet connection with your Mac with no additional equipment. If you're using dial-up, I'm not sure, but I think you would need to buy a USB modem.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    slappislappi Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

If that is your intended use, then a MacBook will do just fine.

Networking your PC and a Mac is no problem. Your PC can read and copy from the Mac, but it can't write to a Mac formatted drive. So if you need to get something from PC to Mac, you'll need to do it from the Mac side.

Whether your internet connection is wireless or wired, you should be able to use the internet connection with your Mac with no additional equipment. If you're using dial-up, I'm not sure, but I think you would need to buy a USB modem.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Followup question..... If I wanted wireless networking and also be able to use my cable modem through my PC and Macbook what would I need to purchase from apple?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slappi View Post

MacBook or MacBook Pro?

$1100 vs $2000 for better video, twice the memory, 40gb more HD space, 200mhz faster proc, bigger screen.

Is it worth it if I am just going to be using the internet, putting my pics on it, and using the word processor?

Thanks guys!

It's hard to list all of the MBP features not found on the MB. Most people forget about the MBP's dedicated graphics, audio-in (optical at that), expansion slot, backlit keyboard, ambient light sensor, thinner, lighter case, etc. A lot of little things that really put the polish on the MBP as a well-crafted/standalone machine.

Still, based on what you desribe, I would go MacBook 100%. Unless you have money to burn, the MacBook looks like it will might all of your needs. There are software apps out there to help transfer things over such as email accounts, but all you really need is to connect them into the same network connection, turn on Sharing (in control panel and in the system preferences on the Mac) and voila, drag and drop your files.

On that note, check with your local Apple Store as well. When I worked there a few years ago, we even did basic data transfers from the old computer to a new mac (PC just has to have either ethernet or usb ports). They don't arrange everything for you without the ProCare service, but they at least should be able to put all your docs/photos, etc. into a folder on your new Mac. They will not, however, transfer media files like ripped music or movies, so you will need to do this over your network with a network hub as I mentioned before, or get a flash drive/external hard drive and make a couple of trips back and forth.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Thanks for your fast reply.

Followup question..... If I wanted wireless networking and also be able to use my cable modem through my PC and Macbook what would I need to purchase from apple?

I have a couple of friends using Linsys wireless routers and I use a Buffalo Technology wireless router.

Others have used different brands with varying degrees of success. I would stay away from Netgear. I've heard a lot of Mac users claiming to have problems with those.

That being said, if you have the money, Apple's routers are so easy to set up.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks guys..... you have answered all my questions and it is time for me to buy.

MUST RESIST URGE FOR MACBOOK PRO~~!!@@
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Thanks guys..... you have answered all my questions and it is time for me to buy.

MUST RESIST URGE FOR MACBOOK PRO~~!!@@

One more thing to keep in mind. Some of the router companies do not support Macs. Linksys is one of them. Although they work fine for most people, if you call their tech support guys, they'll tell you they don't support Macintosh.

Gotta say, I do love my MacBook Pro. But I use it for 3D modeling and animation. My son, on the other hand uses his MacBook for the same purposes as you stated and the only thing he's really envious of is the backlit keyboard. He even likes the smaller screen.

Enjoy.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

One more thing to keep in mind. Some of the router companies do not support Macs. Linksys is one of them. Although they work fine for most people, if you call their tech support guys, they'll tell you they don't support Macintosh.

Gotta say, I do love my MacBook Pro. But I use it for 3D modeling and animation. My son, on the other hand uses his MacBook for the same purposes as you stated and the only thing he's really envious of is the backlit keyboard. He even likes the smaller screen.

Enjoy.

Yah the backlit keyboard is looking good hehe.

I better order that macbook fast before I spend $900 on a backlit keyboard.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Yah the backlit keyboard is looking good hehe.

I better order that macbook fast before I spend $900 on a backlit keyboard.

Ok I just ordered the base MacBook with an Airport router thing, a case for the Macbook and the (free yay) 2gb nano+dock.

After the education discount and tax plus my $200 rebate it only came out to be around $1350. Not too bad.

I can't believe I resisted the Macbook pro!! I am normally such an impulse kinda guy.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Congratulations and enjoy your new laptop.