Assuming new iMacs at WWDC, will they definitely have a new case design?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know nothing's definite, but it's odd how the rumblings about a redesigned iMac form factor have significantly died down recently; you'd think we'd be hearing more about that approaching WWDC instead of less. I'm just worried because I want to replace my 5 year old iMac G4, but only if it'll be a new form factor (since I don't want to get a white G5-factor iMac this summer only to have it feel old and busted if they update the form factor in the autumn instead ). So how solid is the consensus that this summer will, DEFINITELY, see a form factor update?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

I know nothing's definite, but it's odd how the rumblings about a redesigned iMac form factor have significantly died down recently; you'd think we'd be hearing more about that approaching WWDC instead of less. I'm just worried because I want to replace my 5 year old iMac G4, but only if it'll be a new form factor (since I don't want to get a white G5-factor iMac this summer only to have it feel old and busted if they update the form factor in the autumn instead ). So how solid is the consensus that this summer will, DEFINITELY, see a form factor update?

id say very probable.

if there was going to be no new form factor i would have said the imac would have got the macbook treatment and received an incremental update on the quiet

i think they will be announced at WWDC, availability 1-2 weeks later, specs as follows

all models new form factor with bluetooth and airport extreme standard, up to 4gb ram

Baseline model

20 inch 1680 x 1050

2Ghz C2D upgradable to 2.2 ghz

2GB Ram

160GB HDD

Intel gma x3100 integrated graphics

Middle option

20 inch screen 1680 x 1050

2.2ghz c2d upgradable to 2.4hhz

250gb hdd

2GB ram

Nvidia 8600m GT 128mb vram upgradable to 256

high end option

24 inch 1920 x 1200

2.4 ghz c2d

500gb HDD

2GB Ram

nvidia 8600m gt 256mb vram

Wouldnt count out option of upgrading to 2.6ghz processor and 320mb of vram on the 24 inch model

wouldnt completely rule out robson turbo memory, although wouldnt put money on it being there

would like to see apple use hdcp compatable displays too with the imac but cant see it
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

I think it's a must at this point assuming they are released at WWDC. Hopefully now that the Mac Book pro's are out we can get some imac news. My concern is that with the ipod deal they will just ride on that promo until fall.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    You guys make a good point - that if it weren't a major update it would be getting the same kind of quiet update that the MB and MBP have gotten recently.

Also, superlatic_uk, I like those specs you posted - I really want 2GB of RAM and a 500GB HD, so if those come standard in the 24in iMac, I'll save a few hundred dollars by having less to customize. If it's something like that, all I'll really need to upgrade is the GPU.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

You guys make a good point - that if it weren't a major update it would be getting the same kind of quiet update that the MB and MBP have gotten recently.

Also, superlatic_uk, I like those specs you posted - I really want 2GB of RAM and a 500GB HD, so if those come standard in the 24in iMac, I'll save a few hundred dollars by having less to customize. If it's something like that, all I'll really need to upgrade is the GPU.

i think with apple though, expect to be underwhelmed untill you are overwhelmed

remember when i bought my ibook g4, last rev before switch to intel. everyone thought 64mb graphics was a nailed on cert

then unveiling ati radeon 9650 with 32mb v ram

i would say the specs for imac that i posted are defo on the pessimistic side, maybe still say 2.2ghz on the 24 inch model upgradable to 2.4 but regarding processors, gone off MBP pattern
  • Reply 5 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Either a redesigned iMac will debut at WWDC or a new Mac aimed at lower budget professionals will debut and the iMac will be speed bumped in the very near future. I'm hoping on the later.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

i think with apple though, expect to be underwhelmed untill you are overwhelmed

remember when i bought my ibook g4, last rev before switch to intel. everyone thought 64mb graphics was a nailed on cert

then unveiling ati radeon 9650 with 32mb v ram

i would say the specs for imac that i posted are defo on the pessimistic side, maybe still say 2.2ghz on the 24 inch model upgradable to 2.4 but regarding processors, gone off MBP pattern

Well, if the iMac is indeed announced at WWDC, it's far less likely to be underwhelming. Not saying the specs will blow anyone out of the water - bigger Apple unveilings tend to be for new features and functions and new products, not for increased specs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Either a redesigned iMac will debut at WWDC or a new Mac aimed at lower budget professionals will debut and the iMac will be speed bumped in the very near future. I'm hoping on the later.

We are not friends.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    would the new imacs come with the beta of leopard, or maybe a coupon for it when it comes out?

i mean, have they done something similar in the past?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy

ISo how solid is the consensus that this summer will, DEFINITELY, see a form factor update?

I'd be willing to bet $100 we'll see newly designed iMac's at WWDC. I'm really hoping for something striking, and I'm really really hoping for a multi-touch keyboard.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd be willing to bet $100 we'll see newly designed iMac's at WWDC. I'm really hoping for something striking, and I'm really really hoping for a multi-touch keyboard.

Hmm $100! Is that based on gut feeling or facts. I want to believe....I need a new imac and come next Monday I am buying something, maybe a refurn imac or hopefully a brand new imac revision.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

would the new imacs come with the beta of leopard, or maybe a coupon for it when it comes out?

i mean, have they done something similar in the past?

No. The only thing similar to what you suggest was OS X Public Beta back in Y2K and it was a joke. Developers will get a copy of a Leopard beta at WWDC but the public won't.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

...and I'm really really hoping for a multi-touch keyboard.

What exactly is that? Is that something on which you can't feel the keys so you have no idea what you're typing? Why has the world suddenly gone ga-ga over the phrase multi-touch?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I'm still hoping for something like this but that's just the optimist in me

• Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I'm still hoping for something like this but that's just the optimist in me

What is that? Dimensions and specs?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    it looks like the side of a powermac with a screen on it and the top chopped off in photoshop.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

What exactly is that? Is that something on which you can't feel the keys so you have no idea what you're typing? Why has the world suddenly gone ga-ga over the phrase multi-touch?

Out with the old, in with the new. The software potential for efficency of workflow with such a device is huge. Could you imagine something as simple as coming back from lunch and seeing "one new message! Read now? Read later?" on your keyboard, you click 'read now' and Mail pops up displaying this email.. or even having the luxury of changing your keyboard layout in System Preferences. Imagine just having letters and numbers on your keyboard, and like the iPhone, one key to bring up all those odd symbols, now we're talking simplicity.

The possibilities for such a scenario are endless. Not to mention things like putting the dock where the F-keys are. Imagine when you select an app your keyboard layout or setup changed to suit that app, imagine having browser tabs on the top of your keyboard, having back, forward and home buttons on your keyboard. And all this is technically feasible too, in fact it's well possible. Imagine one of those colored photoshop keyboard's appear when you launch photoshop. Imagine a game specifically designed for this new UI, and now imagine an situation whereby when you drag one finger across this multi-touch keyboard, your mouse cursor moves.. no need for a mouse. I know I'm kind of dreaming here, but this would be truly amazing, this would be revolutionary, and this would be soooo much fun. I hope you are reading this Apple, because I'm far too lazy to give you this feedback myself.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the iMac keep the same basic design as they will be having the same display technology. Throw in Santa Rosa for sure and bump up the processor speed.

Apple didn't make that many external changes to the MBP - they even kept the latch system (mine needs to be replaced for the third time on my PB) instead of a magnetic latch. If the MBP didn't get a major rework (or at least the latch) why would they spend that much time on the iMac? I think they will focus on the internals and save a major change for MWSF 08 at the earliest. But then I'm generally wrong.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    iMacs seem to be Apple's flagship computers. While I don't like them, I'd expect Apple to do a new design before long. iMacs have looked about the same for what, three years now? Did the iMac G4 last that long? Surely Jon Ive has been up to something! If a new iMac design is nearly ready, it'll probably be introduced at WWDC. The rest of the month after that, and probably most of July will be all about the iPhone. Nothing will be done at Apple which might dilute the iPhone hype.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i'm definitely in the market for a top of the range imac and to me it looks like a good situation:

possibility 1: minor update at wwdc. seems unlikely, but i'm very keen to buy and at least i know that the current imac design is solid and well tested. i'll buy

possibility 2: major upate. would be great to get something new, but i would be a little wary of problems with the new design. this will leave me with the choice of getting the new model or getting a discounted cd2 model. could be a tough choice but it's nice to have choices!

possibility 3: nothing. ain't gonna happen

i think possibility 2 is definitely the most likely. i'm hoping they will be smart, but rather inelegant, and offer a free or significantly discounted (50%?) leopard option for buyers if the new models really DO have leopard only hardware features. it would really drive hardware sales for new models between now and autumn. otherwise they're going to release a new model and get a lot of people waiting until autumn to buy. bad business
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

ii think possibility 2 is definitely the most likely. i'm hoping they will be smart, but rather inelegant, and offer a free or significantly discounted (50%?) leopard option for buyers if the new models really DO have leopard only hardware features.

If a new model had Leopard-only hardware features, it wouldn't come out until Leopard was released, IMO. What might such features be?

For the purpose of this thread, we're to assume new iMacs will come out at WWDC. While I might expect a whole new design, I think it's more likely Apple will thin them a bit, upgrade them and adjust prices slightly and maybe even discontinue the 17" model. If the 17" model goes away, I hope Apple finally upgrades the mini!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    They will look like thiiiiiisssssssss!!!!!!