Intel unveils '3-Series' chipsets for 'Duo' and 'Quad' processors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Speaking at the Computex computer trade show in Taipei this week, Intel Corporation Executive Vice President Sean Maloney unveiled a new 3-Series Chipset family along with several other plans surrounding the company's popular Intel Core 2 Duo and Quad processors for home and business users.

The world's largest chipmaker said the new products will enable a number of innovative features for today's PCs, such as greater performance, clearer definition video, and storage technologies that help better protect valuable data. The new chipsets are also designed to be used with the company's upcoming Intel 45 nanometer "Penryn family" processors expected later this year.

Maloney informed attendees that there are already more than 100 motherboard designs underway that will utilize the new technology, which he expects will become the fastest growing chipset family in Intel's history.

"There is a tremendous amount of excitement and anticipation for our forthcoming 45nm Hi-K processors based on the Intel Core microarchitecture," he said. "The Intel 3 Series chipsets lay the foundation for an exciting, media-rich experience for today's systems and those that arrive later this year."

Maloney also disclosed plans for an Intel Core 2 Extreme mobile processor product to be released in the third quarter of this year. The plan follows the company's Extreme Edition brand introduced for desktop PCs in 2003 and extends it to notebooks, which continue to be the fastest-growing computing market segment. The upcoming chip is targeted to be the chipmaker's highest-performing mobile dual-core processor that still includes energy-saving power features for notebook-friendly designs.

The Intel 3 Series Chipsets

The Intel 3 Series Chipsets, formerly codenamed "Bearlake," will enable "exceptional PC performance" while helping to improve energy efficiency, system design and quietness, Intel claims. Computers with these chipsets should deliver CE-like video and sound quality, while also offering new data security and manageability features for business users. As such, they'll form the foundation for Intel's next-generation Intel Viiv processor technology and Intel vPro processor technology, codenamed Salt Creek and Weybridge, respectively.

The Intel 3 Series Chipsets support DDR2 up to 800MHz, or DDR3 memory with data transfer speeds up to 1333 MHz, enabling speedy access to files and a more responsive PC. The chipsets also support PCI Express 2.0, which doubles the available bandwidth for graphics cards and are engineered to support Intel Turbo Memory which enables faster application loading and boot times.

The new chipsets will also offer versions with integrated graphics called the Intel G33 and G35 Express Chipsets. These products will include Intel Clear Video Technology which can enhance video playback and supports the High Definition Media Interface (HDMI). System manufacturers can also support HD DVD and Blu-ray* disc playback with these chipsets at a lower system cost than most discrete graphics cards. Additionally, the G35 integrates hardware support for MS DX10 for smoother, more realistic 3D applications.

The Intel G33 and P35 Express Chipsets have been shipping since April, while the Intel Q33 and Q35 Express Chipsets are shipping now ahead of their Q3'07 introduction. The Intel G35 Express Chipset and the advanced Intel X38 enthusiast chipset with dual graphics support will ship within 90 days, Intel said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    aphydaphyd Posts: 4member
    Geez! Another reason for folks to 'wait' for the next big thang! \

I can see all the threads now: "Should I buy now or wait for the new shiny flanmangoboshenanigan chips?"..............
  • Reply 2 of 30
    "As such, they'll form the foundation for Intel's next-generation Intel Viiv processor technology and Intel vPro processor technology, codenamed Salt Creek and Weybridge, respectively"

Does this mean anythign at all?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It means that Apple needs to step up their product revisions.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Progress. There you have it. Like the first bite of the first ripe peach of summer.

So much has changed since I bought my last mac. Less than two years, and my Powerbook G4 is now dinosaur. I used to think it was fast.

I'm complacent though. I know that when I get my next computer, all too soon will come a time when I'll be saying "The next one I get will be faster... it'll be a lot better."

I'm so bored. Like I could vomit. I'm that bored. I could just eat all of the paperwork on my desk. Just to have something to do. Really. Wow. So bored.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I need a new MBP now so don't want to wait for the next big thing. Yesterday's update seems like the last of the munimula series. The next one will probably be in January, an all new design utilizing Penryn on a verson of the Santa Rosa board. It'll look sleek and thin and be a bit lighter, a bit faster, and a bit cooler. The really cool new stuff comes out a year from now, though, and I don't want to wait another year.

I plan to get the SR MBP now, 2.4 gig w/160GB 7200 rpm drive, and be happy.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I'm going with the new MacBookPros today. First, its 2 gens past what I have now. Second when "3-series" comes out there will be the new bugs associated with that, so I'll wait 2 gens again and upgrade sometime late 2008. Perfect
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

Progress. There you have it. Like the first bite of the first ripe peach of summer.

So much has changed since I bought my last mac. Less than two years, and my Powerbook G4 is now dinosaur. I used to think it was fast.

I'm complacent though. I know that when I get my next computer, all too soon will come a time when I'll be saying "The next one I get will be faster... it'll be a lot better."

I'm so bored. Like I could vomit. I'm that bored. I could just eat all of the paperwork on my desk. Just to have something to do. Really. Wow. So bored.

Funny, though - I'm using my TiBook-800 (purchased July 2002) to type this message, and thus far, there has been nothing I have not been able to do with it, including large-sample statistical analyses, presentations, major writing projects and data management, internet research, etc. I'm not doing anything super-intensive, of course - but I have noticed very little slowdown in any of my applications in the nearly 5 years I've had this machine.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 118member
    I'm sorry, but could someone explain what these new chips mean, really ? I'm frankly lost and I am not trying to be sarcastic at all... It seems to me all they bring is a faster platform... which is OK but hardly a surprise !

What's CE-like video ? Commercial Elephant ? Capitalistic Economy ? (Google only suggest "Windows-CE videos" when I ask...)

I have seen a few vPro computers already, but I have yet to see Viiv-based computers. Have I missed them ? Has this platform any success at all ?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Why's everyone talking about laptops? These chipsets are for Intel's desktop-variant Core 2 Duo CPUs, and as such there is currently no Apple machine into which these chipsets would go (iMac and Mac Mini use laptop parts, and the Mac Pro uses workstation parts).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

What's CE-like video ?

CE is "consumer electronics". Mid and high-end DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray stand-alone players deliver much higher video quality than most computers, and standalone CD players deliver much higher audio quality.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Why's everyone talking about laptops? These chipsets are for Intel's desktop-variant Core 2 Duo CPUs, and as such there is currently no Apple machine into which these chipsets would go (iMac and Mac Mini use laptop parts, and the Mac Pro uses workstation parts).

Because some portable stuff was mentioned.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Because some portable stuff was mentioned.

Yes, a Core 2 Duo "extreme", which is also unlikely to show in any laptop Macs, as Apple don't make any laptops thick enough.

However, I suppose it's possible that the chip could show up in the iMac.

So the question still remains: why is everyone talking about laptops?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

So the question still remains: why is everyone talking about laptops?

lol....
  • Reply 14 of 30
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aphyd View Post

Geez! Another reason for folks to 'wait' for the next big thang! \

I can see all the threads now: "Should I buy now or wait for the new shiny flanmangoboshenanigan chips?"..............

Hehe, easy decision for me, I am flat broke, so I will wait.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Hehe, easy decision for me, I am flat broke, so I will wait.

Nice call. For me I'm going to get the new MBP right after WWDC in case apple throws any curveballs at us like Leopard in July or the iCoolerThanYou which will do anything you can ever possibly imagine and you can download hardware upgrades.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Bleh... just what we need, a Core 3 Duo.

It's not. Penryn et al will probably still be marketed under the Core 2 name, just as the Pentium 4 brand survived three process shrinks. This is about the chipset, and will replace the G/P965, the G/P945 and the 975X.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Hopefully WWDC will introduce a G33/E4000 based Mini replacement and a P35/ E/Q6000 based Low End mac Pro
  • Reply 18 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

I have seen a few vPro computers already, but I have yet to see Viiv-based computers. Have I missed them ? Has this platform any success at all ?

VIIV has been around, I've seen them at Sam's Club and Best Buy. It was intended to be a set of minimum standards with regard to what parts go into a media center, but I think just about everything Intel-based qualifies now.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

These are Series 3 chips so says the article, I assume that means "Core 3 Duo"

I assumed it meant the 3xxx numbered budget CPUs.

Quote:

At any rate, Pentium Who?

That model line got a bad rap, but I don't think it was anywhere nearly as bad as the reputation suggested.