Upgrading a G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First off, I hope to hell I'm starting this thread in the right place. I have a gift for not doing so.

If Apple does postpone new computers until 3rd quarter ‘07, I am in a bind. I’ll need to upgrade my Tower 800 MHz PowerPC G4 – 1GB SDRAM – ATA – 40Gig hard drive (I'll need a much larger one) – CD-RW (no DVD, but I’ll need one).

NewerTech is selling a $400 MaxPower G4/7448 to upgrade a G4.

http://newertech.com/products/maxpower48.phpto

Is this a good deal? What else would I have to buy to bring the G4 ‘up to date’ and where would it put the computer in relation to current iMacs or Mac Pro’s? Would I be able to use a SATA drive? What about bus speed? Being only semi-literate when it comes to changing things under the hood, I need tech help – please. How much more would I have to spend and would I be better off buying a low end Mac Pro (much as I'd hate to)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

If Apple does postpone new computers until 3rd quarter ?07, I am in a bind. I?ll need to upgrade my Tower 800 MHz PowerPC G4 ? 1GB SDRAM ? ATA ? 40Gig hard drive (I'll need a much larger one) ? CD-RW (no DVD, but I?ll need one).

NewerTech is selling a $400 MaxPower G4/7448 to upgrade a G4. . .

I've upgraded Power Macs from the Beige G3 to the latest G4 Power Mac. I know many Mac users have upgraded the CPU in these Macs, but I never would do it, personally. I think it is a waste of money, except in unusual circumstances. You would be better off buying a used G4 on eBay. I got a dual 1.25 GHz G4 with an 80 GB HDD and combo CD-R/DVD for about $750 a couple years ago. I installed a 4 port USB 2.0 card and it now serves my purpose well as a music workstation.

You could buy a similar G4 today if you take a few weeks making low bids. You would likely get an even better price. I adjust each bid when I figure out how much I need to upgrade. I never consider upgrading beyond the HDD, optical drive and USB 2 card, however.

• Reply 2 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I have an upgraded G4 and I'm still glad I did it. Sometimes it is nice to be able to do things piecemeal in terms of finances. Also, if the machine doesn't have a power user on it, being able to cheaply not have flash animations or whatever other issues are slowing it down with is nice.

There is also the issue of software set up, familiarity, etc. My wife has a G4/450 we are getting ready to upgrade. She uses Appleworks, browses the web, iTunes and iPhoto and that is it. She already has everything she wants and needs, it is just a bit slow. So a $199 upgrade is fine for her and could be for most.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 10
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    I'd be a little leery of upgrading the processor on your G4, as I don't think it would be worth it, especially since you're planning on getting a new computer later in the year, If I read your post correctly it's a single processor not dual. Your post also doesn't give any information on how you use your computer and where the bottle neck is beside HD and DVD drive. What I'd do is buy an external hard drive, a Seagate one touch would be a good choice in the range of 250 - 500GB, and Best Buy and Fry's sometime have them on sale at a good price. That way, when you get a new computer you can use the external drive with it. Also, if you absolutely must have a DVD burner, check out Newegg or ZipZoomFly, the prices should be very reasonable there and this is something that you can install quite cheaply and easily.

Anyway, that's my opinion.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have an upgraded G4 and I'm still glad I did it. Sometimes it is nice to be able to do things piecemeal in terms of finances. Also, if the machine doesn't have a power user on it, being able to cheaply not have flash animations or whatever other issues are slowing it down with is nice.

There is also the issue of software set up, familiarity, etc. My wife has a G4/450 we are getting ready to upgrade. She uses Appleworks, browses the web, iTunes and iPhoto and that is it. She already has everything she wants and needs, it is just a bit slow. So a $199 upgrade is fine for her and could be for most.

Nick

What's the $199 upgrade that will speed up the G4/450?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    It is Other World Computing's own brand of processor upgrades.

I'm not saying it is for everyone for those who disagree here. However for someone who does a little and wants to continue to do that little on their current machines for a bit longer, processor upgrades rule.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I'd be a little leery of upgrading the processor on your G4, as I don't think it would be worth it, especially since you're planning on getting a new computer later in the year, If I read your post correctly it's a single processor not dual. Your post also doesn't give any information on how you use your computer and where the bottle neck is beside HD and DVD drive. What I'd do is buy an external hard drive, a Seagate one touch would be a good choice in the range of 250 - 500GB, and Best Buy and Fry's sometime have them on sale at a good price. That way, when you get a new computer you can use the external drive with it. Also, if you absolutely must have a DVD burner, check out Newegg or ZipZoomFly, the prices should be very reasonable there and this is something that you can install quite cheaply and easily.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

I see I gave the wrong impression. Rather than waiting and buying a new Mac later in the year, I had thought of rebuilding the G4, so it would be my primary computer - to bring it into the 21 century so to speak. I drool when I see the new technology - dual processors, fast buss, SATA drives, etc., I just don't want an AIO or pay the bill for a Mac Pro. I see myself waiting for the new computers to come out and finding out that there is none to suit me. There could still be a hole in Apple's line up.

An upgraded Mini would be better and faster than my G4 is now, but it looks like even that won't be an option. Yes, I really need a DVD. I wouldn't be able to upgrade to Leopard without it. Apple doesn't see fit to put new OS's on CD's anymore. Apple requires a purchaser to buy the DVD, then send it back with more $ and wait till they are d____ed good and ready to send out a replacement. Been there, done that and I'd rather buy a DVD than go through that again. An internal DVD would be cheaper than an external.

However, I appreciate all your suggestions. I just don't want to put a bunch of bucks into the G4 and find it still won't do what a new one would.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

IHowever, I appreciate all your suggestions. I just don't want to put a bunch of bucks into the G4 and find it still won't do what a new one would.

It won't, I'll be blunt. Even a 2ghz g4 (even if it's a dual so you get better multi-tasking) is slow by modern chip standards. It's also hampered on whatever tower you're upgrading by a 100 or 133mhz front side bus and pc100 or pc133 ram. I have a 450mhz g4 I got for *free*, and even without my current hardware I wouldnt bother upgrading the proc, it's just not worth it.

Even the un-updated mac mini for a couple hundred more than the upgrade would totally blow the maximum upgrades you could do to your machine out of the water. Sorry, I wish it weren't so, but a g4 is not a commodity consumer chip, and it's just not worth it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

I just don't want to put a bunch of bucks into the G4 and find it still won't do what a new one would.

If your current 800 MHz G4 is not fast enough, just buy a used one. If you are not impatient, likely you can get a much newer G4 for little more than the cost of a processor upgrade, and it will likely have a combo drive. Here is another idea. Buy a big, new HDD and save the old. When you're finished with Power Mac, sell it with the original drive and you will still have the big new drive.

Just make sure what you buy can handle all your applications. I was getting by with a 300 MHz Beige G3 for a music workstation until I wanted to upgrade the music software. My latest Dual 1.25 GHz G4 should last for several more years, however. It works great for both midi and live audio recording.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Even a 2ghz g4 (even if it's a dual so you get better multi-tasking) is slow by modern chip standards.

. . . it's just not worth it.

It depends on what applications you run. My dual 1.25 GHz G4 does just fine with Apple's Logic. I believe new Macs have more capability than most users need. However, if I had more demanding software, I'd likely need a Mac Pro or at least a dual, dual core G5.

• Reply 10 of 10
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

It won't, I'll be blunt. Even a 2ghz g4 (even if it's a dual so you get better multi-tasking) is slow by modern chip standards. It's also hampered on whatever tower you're upgrading by a 100 or 133mhz front side bus and pc100 or pc133 ram. I have a 450mhz g4 I got for *free*, and even without my current hardware I wouldnt bother upgrading the proc, it's just not worth it.

Even the un-updated mac mini for a couple hundred more than the upgrade would totally blow the maximum upgrades you could do to your machine out of the water. Sorry, I wish it weren't so, but a g4 is not a commodity consumer chip, and it's just not worth it.

Thanks. I'm convinced. Now that the brushed aluminum iMac is on it's way, maybe there will be a niche for an enhanced Mini or -?-?-?-.