Need some help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Remote Desktop is what people from macs to macs can use over the net to do something on another mac somewhere else....but what if one of those computers is a PC...can you do things on your mac from a pc?

You see a friend of my would like to do that as at home he has a Mac and at work a pc...but i don't know if there is anything that works off the pc side and on the mac (OS X only on the mac side) side like that....can someone help me out here....don't know what to tell him...

thanks

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I use puTTy at work to access my Mac through ssh.

Probably not what your looking for but still.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by frank_t:

<strong>Apple Remote Desktop is what people from macs to macs can use over the net to do something on another mac somewhere else....but what if one of those computers is a PC...can you do things on your mac from a pc?

You see a friend of my would like to do that as at home he has a Mac and at work a pc...but i don't know if there is anything that works off the pc side and on the mac (OS X only on the mac side) side like that....can someone help me out here....don't know what to tell him...

thanks

Frank_t</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well... it kinda depends on what exactly your friend wants to do (come on admit it.. it's you!). Does he/she need a graphic interface, or would a command line be enough?

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: drumbug1 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'm not jokeing around it's a friend...and yes they would like to see there desktop and use a GUI to do stuff from work on there mac....he has a mac and likes them more than a pc but like many his boss only lets PC to be in the work place...so is there a way?

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by frank_t:

<strong>I'm not jokeing around it's a friend...and yes they would like to see there desktop and use a GUI to do stuff from work on there mac....he has a mac and likes them more than a pc but like many his boss only lets PC to be in the work place...so is there a way?

Frank_t</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well... there is an app called OSXvnc. I have used it in the past, but it's not very useful for any heavy-duty work. All it does is display the mac screen on another computers screen. What I am getting at is that you can't directly copy files from the PC to the Mac using it (or other way around for that matter). I believe you also have to have a VNC client on the PC (or whatever you are viewing on). I know some versions (of the server) let you use a web browser for a client, but I don't think that is incorporated into OSXvnc.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Or the commercial solution by <a href="http://www.netopia.com/"; target="_blank">Netopia</a> called Timbuktu Pro. It runs under OS 9, OS X, and Windows (all flavours).

While I was at my hotel in SF last week, I needed to get an illustrator file with information on it for my press credentials to MWSF. I realized the laptop I was on didn't have illustrator. So I was able to login to my machine at home remotely, open illustrator, edit the document some, save it out as a PDF, and download it to the laptop in the hotel room and print it at the business center. It worked great, not too laggy either. Completely usable.

I don't know how well VNC handles the OS X Quartz effects... like transparency, drop shadows, etc. Those effects cause more of the screen to have to be updated, and in turn, slows down your connection considerably.