How to remove the voice from a song.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A friend of mine asked me to remove the voice from a song so he could karaoke it at his wedding. How can that be done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

A friend of mine asked me to remove the voice from a song so he could karaoke it at his wedding. How can that be done?

Short of spending a great deal of money on hardware and a skilled operator, there isn't a consistently reliable way to do this.

There are software solutions (google mac vocal remover), which only work at all if the vocal is recorded "mono" spread across both stereo tracks. The software can then put one channel 180º out of phase and (more or less) cancel out the vocal.

Of course, with real word recordings this inevitably effects the instrumental track as well, and the results are highly variable, depending on how the particular track was laid down.

The best you can hope for is with a recording that has the vocal across both tracks and all of the instruments confined to one track or another.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Thanks addabox.

Turns out I don't have to do anything. I did a search at the iTunes Store and found the song with the voice removed already. My friend will be impressed when I give to him tomorrow. Heee.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Unless you have a soprano singing a melody to a tuba concerto, it's not easy. I'm glad you found a version of the song without the vocals mixed in.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Heh. "Finding a version of the song without vocals" is the best technique of all, for sure.

100% reliable.