Parallels to show alpha version of Parallels Server at WWDC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Parallels, makers of the widely successful Parallels Desktop virtualization solution for running versions of the Windows operating system on Intel-based Macs, plans to demonstrate a pre-release version of its upcoming Parallels Server at Apple's developers conference this week.

Parallels Server for Mac will represent the first virtualization solution that lets users run Windows and Linux in virtual servers on an Intel-powered Apple Xserve while simultaneously running Mac OS X Server.

The Renton, Wash.-based software developer will be hosting demonstrations of the alpha software at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, Calif. this week.

Parallels will also be showing off the latest release of Parallels Desktop for Mac -- version 3.0 -- which delivers 3D hardware support and tighter integration between Windows and the Mac OS X operating systems.

The update to the $80 virtualization solution also introduces cross OS application and file integration with Parallels SmartSelect, coherence 2.0 with shared folders and UI enhancements, expanded support for USB 2.0 devices, and significant improvements to audio quality.

Word of Parallels' intentions for the Apple developer conference arrive alongside expectations that the Mac maker will use the event to show off improvements to its own software solution for running versions of Windows on Intel-based Macs -- Boot Camp.

Unlike Parallels Desktop for Mac, which allows users to run the Windows and Mac OS X operating systems simultaneously, Boot Camp currently requires that users reboot their Macs to run Windows applications.

Many have speculated that Apple may announce at the conference its intention to transform Boot Camp into its own embedded virtualization solution in time for the release of Mac OS X Leopard in October. Any such move would threaten the future success of Parallels' solutions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Parallels 3.0 was pretty disappointing. I felt like it was more of a money getting oppurtunity than a good release with all the claims of 3d this and direct x that. Most of which turned out to deal with a few games. I upgraded to 3.0 and am happy using the product but I believe I see myself going to Fusion once released from Beta.

I run VMWare Fusion now (beta 4) and it works great. It even runs Solaris 10 11/06 fantastic.

Hopefully, by 4.0 Parallels has their stuff together regarding customer service and somekind of truth in advertising (they could tone down the miracle stuff a bit).
  • Reply 2 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What is the real world implications of this new offering by Parallel? As much as I'd like to see OS X Server gain some ground I don't see how this would be a benefit to most companies.

"Many have speculated that Apple may announce at the conference its intention to transform Boot Camp into its own embedded virtualization solution in time for the release of Mac OS X Leopard in October."

This has always sounded so absurd to me.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I highly doubt Apple will update BootCampt to run in virtualization mode. Far more likely would be that Apple would start bundling Parallels with OS X. What's the point in competing with Parallels?

Boot Camp serves a very specific purpose - the ability to install windows on it's own partition. It's useful for users who need the full resources of the system.

People need to stop fantasizing about Apple doing their own version of everything under the sun.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Parallels 3.0 was pretty disappointing. I felt like it was more of a money getting oppurtunity than a good release with all the claims of 3d this and direct x that. Most of which turned out to deal with a few games. I upgraded to 3.0 and am happy using the product but I believe I see myself going to Fusion once released from Beta.

I run VMWare Fusion now (beta 4) and it works great. It even runs Solaris 10 11/06 fantastic.

Hopefully, by 4.0 Parallels has their stuff together regarding customer service and somekind of truth in advertising (they could tone down the miracle stuff a bit).

I would never ever trust Parallels again.... their support is non-existant , this new 3.0 version so buggy that it's beyond words ( tried it on my Mac Pro , MacBook Pro and my girlfriends macbook, all of them crash within minutes of loading 3d intensive app ). This is one app i'd not feel bad about pirating..... too bad i bought it.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is the real world implications of this new offering by Parallel? As much as I'd like to see OS X Server gain some ground I don't see how this would be a benefit to most companies.

"Many have speculated that Apple may announce at the conference its intention to transform Boot Camp into its own embedded virtualization solution in time for the release of Mac OS X Leopard in October."

This has always sounded so absurd to me.

Well, I'd have to see it all in practise but here is an example of where it may come in handy. We have a fairly large set of XServe hardware and are soon to purchase quite a bit more. In fact all of our server hardware is XServe, which is where we run into some minor annoyances. For instance, we would really love to run MS Project on all of our computers here and be able to use the Project Central software that allows webaccess etc...but of course the required software is Windows only. If this new Parallels server could allow us to run this software while keeping all of our XServe hardware (and leaving OSX on there) then I'd be pretty tempted to buy it.....
  • Reply 6 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would bet on Intel and Apple announcing some kind of hardware feature set that makes it easy to swap OS's or while virtualizing one inside another the virtual machine has actuall access to hardware without as much software help. Past that, I can't see them offering a full blown vrtualization product.

And Yes. I will never trust Parallels again.

Virtual servers are where it is at these days for cost anyway. Like the example above, you cut cost and can improve services going virtual, especially when the hardware has capacity to give because it is not running 100% all the time.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

I would never ever trust Parallels again.... their support is non-existant , this new 3.0 version so buggy that it's beyond words ( tried it on my Mac Pro , MacBook Pro and my girlfriends macbook, all of them crash within minutes of loading 3d intensive app ). This is one app i'd not feel bad about pirating..... too bad i bought it.

Thanks for the feedback on 3.0 and I will wait to learn more before upgrading. However, I must say Parallels 2.5 has run flawlessly day in day out on my wife's MacBook. Without it she could not even be using a Mac as her business is stuck with IE / Windoze - so I do jump to Parallel's defense here. It is an amazing product.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for the feedback on 3.0 and I will wait to learn more before upgrading. However, I must say Parallels 2.5 has run flawlessly day in day out on my wife's MacBook. Without it she could not even be using a Mac as her business is stuck with IE / Windoze - so I do jump to Parallel's defense here. It is an amazing product.

Oh i do get that software crashed and all that. Its understandable. But what i'm furious about is their tech support. Sent 3 emails within 2 weeks , no response. Left 2 msg's with their operator , no phone call back yet.

So all in all , i'm ready to do full charge back on credit card. After paying full price and now upgrade fee , in 4 or 5 instances i tried to contact them , they never responded.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Oh i do get that software crashed and all that. Its understandable. But what i'm furious about is their tech support. Sent 3 emails within 2 weeks , no response. Left 2 msg's with their operator , no phone call back yet.

So all in all , i'm ready to do full charge back on credit card. After paying full price and now upgrade fee , in 4 or 5 instances i tried to contact them , they never responded.

I agree that is not good.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Oh i do get that software crashed and all that. Its understandable.

How about crash, then file corruption/loss upon restart? To me, that's unacceptable.

I'm hoping that using Bootcamp will become like fast user switching (put one OS to sleep, switch to the other). If not, then my second hope is for a release version of VMWare Fusion at WWDC.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I agree. I purchased the first released version but decided to wait to test this one before buying and boy am I glad I did. The first crash came as it was installing Parallels tools and for the short time I tried it, I experienced multiple crashes. No way am I paying to be their beta tester. I'm beta testing Fusion for free and it's been very stable so far.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Well, I'd have to see it all in practise but here is an example of where it may come in handy. We have a fairly large set of XServe hardware and are soon to purchase quite a bit more. In fact all of our server hardware is XServe, which is where we run into some minor annoyances. For instance, we would really love to run MS Project on all of our computers here and be able to use the Project Central software that allows webaccess etc...but of course the required software is Windows only. If this new Parallels server could allow us to run this software while keeping all of our XServe hardware (and leaving OSX on there) then I'd be pretty tempted to buy it.....

My network has a single XServe, but we do virtualize for Windows SQL Server because of specific needs. It runs great, and there is still plenty of leftover power. Very stable as well, I have had, for the past couple months about a 99.9% uptime. It only goes down for periodic security updates.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    I use parallels daily to develop with Visual Studio, just upgraded to 3.0 with 50% discount. It's still has the same bugs as 2.0, Unexplained crashes especially debugging with VS with Javascipt in IE. Their support sucks, many email reporting bugs and support issues, I've never got a response email from them\ Does their support exist ? anyway it's Betaware.

Glad to see some competition with VMWare, should be interesting.....

PS Can't wait for XCode 3.0 so I get my two legs finally in the Mac world...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    How about they fix Desktop 3.0 first. It takes forever to load, and takes up a gig of RAM, reguardless of what it is preset for. I love the ideal of Parallels, but it needs major improvement.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Parallels 3.0 is working great for me...no problems at all. However, I don't doubt there are issues for some, and I'm sure they're working on it.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Parallels 3.0 is working great for me...no problems at all. However, I don't doubt there are issues for some, and I'm sure they're working on it.

Actually no they're NOT working on it. They're adding new features ( very useless ones ) so they can do piss contest with VMware , but bugs that were present in 1st 2.0 beta are STILL there.

I'm sorry but if you're doing more than just browsing with Explorer to check your website , Parallels is not a good buy. Stay away unless you feel like paying for privilage to use beta software ( and i'm being very nice , calling it "beta" ).

I'd rather pay 100 - 200 bucks and have less features but WORKING , than pay 80 and have tons of features that crash 20 - 30% of the time.