Uh, is that it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I forget who it was, but someone predicted "whining and gnashing of teeth". That seems to be the most accurate keynote prediction so far.

That was me.

While I was hoping for something on the hardware front and on iLife and iWork, I went to the Apple website and ran the demos on Leopard and I really like it. I know nothing new was really introduced today (top secret features? WTF). Nonetheless, Leopard looks impressive.

Two Questions

1) What happened to ZFS? Is it in or out of Leopard?

2) Resolution Independence. I didn't hear anything on it. Did it get axed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Jobs did a poor presentation, no doubt about it. However, Leopard is turning out to be a fabulous OS upgrade. Why does it not seem that way from the presentation? Because Jobs did a poor job.

The new Apple site (which is Gorgeous) shows some of the really major features that Leopard has that Steve didn't show:

1) He showed the new Desktop/Finder - and frankly that's 50% of the reason I think Leopard is awesome. Stacks is just *too great*.

2) New iCal - iCal right now is horrible. This new one is *really* nice.

3) New DVD player with lots of new features

4) Automator - Record function

5) Front Row now has the Apple TV interface

6) BootCamp has a "Restart in Windows" which puts the Mac into Deep Sleep for fast reboots between OS's.

7) Mail has a really powerful feature of parsing addresses, calendaring info and so on. This integrates Mail much more with iCal and AddressBook

8) Parental Controls is huge for many homes

So those are just 7 of the things Steve didn't talk about that he SHOULD have beyond the other great things we've know for a year about Time Machine/Spaces/Safari3/and other misc features. Then there are the major developer changes that will bring new exciting apps.

The one super major downer is the iPhone '3rd party app" thing. Web2.0+Ajax? OMGosh, that is the most lame excuse for third party apps I can think of.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    martin cmartin c Posts: 32member
    After all that hype for WWDC coming right after MacWorld, nothing exciting other than the New Finder came.

I was expecting atleast a new iMac, but I am dissapointed right now.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

After all that hype for WWDC coming right after MacWorld, nothing exciting other than the New Finder came.

Again, Think Secret was wrong.

heh.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    let the whiners begin.

I was expecting just Leopard and iPhone. Hardware at this time would be a bonus.

Remember WWDC is for developers. WWDC is not the place for iMacs
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Does anyone think that they will use the Paris Expo: 25th - 29th September?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

The new iMacs could still come when the store comes back but I reckon that might be an iphone thing.

I'm still a bit disappointed though. I'm left wondering what exactly the secret features were. Safari for Windows?? So what, you want use to use Windows or something?

No mention of ZFS and we've seen everything else before except the iphone stuff which nobody cares about.

Good news on the games front I guess but I'd still have liked to have seen more support there.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

let the whiners begin.

I was expecting just Leopard and iPhone. Hardware at this time would be a bonus.

Remember WWDC is for developers. WWDC is not the place for iMacs

They did talk about games and apple does not have that much good gaming hardware.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    Don't tiptoe around the issue. That keynote SUCKED! half the features weren't even new, let alone a WIDGET!!!!!!! We waited a year for a widget!

No hardware AGAIN!

I am out of here, going shopping for a Windows Vista machine-I am that disgusted. At least all the Vista hardware is new.

MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Riiiiiiight.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    The Safari on Windows things seems....odd.

I was excited for a few minutes when I thought I might be able to run the new EA titles on my G5 2.0 dual. Oooops. Intel only. Bleeah.

I thought we'd get a bit more, like the status of iWork...very odd.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Awful, awful keynote. Only the new Finder was interesting or new.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Steve said at MacWorld, "This year is going to be a great year for the Mac."

And it has been:

All Macbooks have recently been upgraded. The Mac Pro is a stupid-fast machine. The iMac is an awesome computer for the cost.

Now we find out that Mac OS X is going to take a gigantic leap forward this October.

The ONLY thing to complain about thusfar is that the Mini hasn't received a Core2Duo and iLife and iWork haven't been updated. There's still more than 6 months left in the year, though...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Don't tiptoe around the issue. That keynote SUCKED! half the features weren't even new, let alone a WIDGET!!!!!!! We waited a year for a widget!

No hardware AGAIN!

I am out of here, going shopping for a Windows Vista machine-I am that disgusted. At least all the Vista hardware is new.

MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read today ... I'll have to assume you're just temporarily insane.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I forget who it was, but someone predicted "whining and gnashing of teeth". That seems to be the most accurate keynote prediction so far.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    martin cmartin c Posts: 32member
    How is that the stupidest thing you've read today audiopollution?

Now that the two biggest Apple events of the year are gone one is not allowed to complain about hardware?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read today ... I'll have to assume you're just temporarily insane.

Ok you may be right-I think I was temporarily insane. Still with my logical head back on my shoulders, that was a VERY disappointing keynote for me. Honestly what secret features did we wait a year for? Redesigned finder, OK. Redesigned desktop, OK. Stacks, OK. That's it!

And I cannot believe that no hardware has been updated at all. So I am not going to the dark side after all-I would never buy a Vista machine. But I really want a Mac and I can't stand waiting any longer. I fear that as soon as I buy they will update them. Maybe I'll go low end like a 17 inch iMac and eBay it if something new comes along. Macs resell well, don't they?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

And I cannot believe that no hardware has been updated at all. So I am not going to the dark side after all-I would never buy a Vista machine. But I really want a Mac and I can't stand waiting any longer. I fear that as soon as I buy they will update them. Maybe I'll go low end like a 17 inch iMac and eBay it if something new comes along. Macs resell well, don't they?

The Macbook and Macbook Pro have both been recently updated. The MBP was last week.

Patience.

I do agree that it was a disappointing keynote but I wasn't expecting new hardware. I was disappointed by the lack of compelling 'top secret' features of Leopard.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

How is that the stupidest thing you've read today audiopollution?

Now that the two biggest Apple events of the year are gone one is not allowed to complain about hardware?

Steve says all kinds of hyperbolic crap. Marketing.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    WWDC is 11th-15th?

Maybe steve wanted to focus on leopard for the keynote, and we see a hardware update tomorrow?

Nevertheless i am dissappointed, am waiting for an update before I buy and was gutted not to see a bump to the mac pro
  • Reply 20 of 24
    atariatari Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Ok you may be right-I think I was temporarily insane. Still with my logical head back on my shoulders, that was a VERY disappointing keynote for me. Honestly what secret features did we wait a year for? Redesigned finder, OK. Redesigned desktop, OK. Stacks, OK. That's it!

For god´s sake,people,this is WWDEVELOPERC,not a tradeshow.

They only just changed the way you interact with apps and docs,completely,bah,that sure is nothing.

The OS (finally) goes full 64bit,yet they will only have one version for 32/64Bit Intel and PPC machines...who cares?

IChat could conceivably become the collaboration tool of choice for small and medium sized companies.....yawn.

EA,the biggest distributor of games worldwide is getting back into the Mac business....but oh noes...Intel GMA950....noz fo l33t.

Sigh......