Implications of redesigned Apple site for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, looking at the redesigned Apple site, a few things jump out:

Links are, uh....fatter. As in the new grey menu bar at the top of the main page.

Quicktime movie trailer page is now big old thumbnails instead of lists.

There is ubiquitous use of that top horizontal scrolling layout, ala (originally) Aperture and now appearing everywhere.

Hmmmm, pretty handy way to get around for a handheld device with a touch screen and "flick" scrolling, no?

I get the feeling that the web redesign (as well as some of the Leopard UI elements, particularly in the finder) are aimed squarely at extending the Mac paradigm into the handheld and touch screen space with a unified, "across all platforms" use of UI metaphors.

So that the iPhone can conveniently handle the "chunky" "cover flow-y" first layer while desktop and laptop users can go from there into the finer grained stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I gotta say, as soon as I saw Apple.com first thing I said was... it looks like the iPhone! Clearly, this is where Steve wants to company to be, and for the most part, I think he's right.

Call me crazy, but I think the redesign is due to Leopard?

Nobody said Tiger was in the iPhone, they just said OS X. And since leopard is now introducing cover flow in the finder, yada yada yada. If I had to place a bet, it would be for apple to star releasing multi-touch displays for sale to compete with the Surface. Microsoft may have ran to the press first, but who wants a clunky box with lights and such when all they'd need is a new display on their old computer. They can keyboard and mouse if they'd like, and then touch the screen when they please.

Just my predictions.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I gotta say, as soon as I saw Apple.com first thing I said was... it looks like the iPhone! Clearly, this is where Steve wants to company to be, and for the most part, I think he's right.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Why oh why has Apple only updated the US site? iPhone.

I like the look of the new site and want it brought to their other sites world-wide. It sorta seems unprofessional IMO not to do so.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think you're way off, the site redesign was made that way because of the ubiquity of widescreen displays right now, to make a better looking apple.com, and to make it even easier to navigate than before, it's that simple. And a redesign to the Apple.com toolbar was a long time coming. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE NEW APPLE.COM

hahaha it says you posted in 2019!

on a more serious note, I definitely think the redesign was because of iPhone, and I think eventually everyone will get the redesign when leopard comes out (even though some countries are still on the iPod Shuffle front page...)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    The Quicktime link is gone. So are the movie trailers.