iLife + iWorks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, so dull and obvious question - but what the hell has happened to these two? If they're packed as standard with Leopard or have features that are Leopard dependent, why weren't they debuted today as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Ok, so dull and obvious question - but what the hell has happened to these two? If they're packed as standard with Leopard or have features that are Leopard dependent, why weren't they debuted today as well?

Best guess they weren't ready enough to debut. I think this could mean two things, they may be bundled into Leopard, Leopard will be pushed to the very end of October. 26th me thinks! If you ask me iLife and iWork are as important as OS X itself.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I too was waiting/hoping for a iWork/life mention and possibly a release today.

But... I think what is now very possible is that (after the Windows Safari 'secret feature') iLife and iWork will both be available on Windows when they are released.

This is perfect planning on Apple's part - make an end-run around Microsoft and compete with them on their own turf. People will start to see the light and start switching to Mac.

Just my gut feeling...

Now I think the bigger question is: What are they going to call it ?? Why would any company slap an '07' label on something a few months before '08' rolls around. I think we are in for a name change. It may be as simple as iLife 08 / iWork 08. The car companies get away with it - why not for software ?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbutler View Post

I too was waiting/hoping for a iWork/life mention and possibly a release today.

But... I think what is now very possible is that (after the Windows Safari 'secret feature') iLife and iWork will both be available on Windows when they are released.

This is perfect planning on Apple's part - make an end-run around Microsoft and compete with them on their own turf. People will start to see the light and start switching to Mac.

Just my gut feeling...

iWorks maybe, but I don't agree iLife will appear on Windows. iLife is still one of the best bundles of its kind and really sells 'the kids' when it comes to switching to a Mac for the first time for a lot of families.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Best guess ... Leopard will be pushed to the very end of October. 26th me thinks!

Hmmm, why the 26th, a Friday, when there is a perfectly good Tuesday on the 30th, a day before Halloween here in the states???

Although I agree with the thinking that has them coming out with Leopard.

I doubt that Apple will make iLife and iWork for PCs, but hey, who knows? \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Steve got bored with them like Appleworks.

Seriously, when they do debut, the changes damn sure better be spectacular and iWork better have both a usable pages with an actual word processing view and a spreadsheet app.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Since iLife & iWork has not been talked about in the last 2 Stevenotes, I am guessing have features that are Leopard dependent (Core Animation?). I bet Apple will have an media event to release Leopard where steve will also announce iLife 08 & iWork 08 (includes Numbers spreadsheet). Just in time for Christmas.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee

I doubt that Apple will make iLife and iWork for PCs, but hey, who knows? \

Not this year, maybe 2009, but I doubt it.