New MacPro AND New MBP... I'm freakin stoked

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sold all my old stuff over the past two weeks and just bought all new stuff.

Lowest end MBP 15" and a 2.66 MacPro upgraded to 500GB drive, ATI card, dual Super Drives, and airport card (no bluetooth as I just dont use it). I also purchased 4x1GB memory from trans international and plan to purchase another 4x1GB in a few weeks.

I really hoped for a GPU upgrade today but ohh well, I can get the new card whenever it finally shows up.

So the question is WHEN will there be a MacPro graphics update? It doesn't make sense that a "newer" (not better) GPU is in the MBP and no attention was given to the MacPro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Hoping to see new videocards this WWDC myself. Really want to buy a Mac Pro with a 8800GTX or 2900XTX. Don't even care which one it will be atm.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    You'd expect that with these new deals with EA and suchlike that they'd start rolling out a wider selection of "gaming grade" graphics cards for the likes of the Mac Pro and even a CTO config in the iMac?

We shall see...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

You'd expect that with these new deals with EA and suchlike that they'd start rolling out a wider selection of "gaming grade" graphics cards for the likes of the Mac Pro and even a CTO config in the iMac?

We shall see...

Indeed, was thinking that myself when I read/saw the keynote.

But I doubt we will see upgrades before October (next Apple thing) :-(
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I don't foresee a Mac Pro GPU update to be in a big hurry. While the 8800-series is faster, DX10 means jack-squat to Mac users. Most Mac games don't really press a X1900XT anyways, unless it's on a 30-inch screen at max details or something, since they're made to be useable on iMacs and MBPs at least.

A real boon for Mac video cards will come if Leopard (or Quicktime 8) enables offloading MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 decoding to the video card, or even encoding offloading (to some degree).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

I don't foresee a Mac Pro GPU update to be in a big hurry. While the 8800-series is faster, DX10 means jack-squat to Mac users. Most Mac games don't really press a X1900XT anyways, unless it's on a 30-inch screen at max details or something, since they're made to be useable on iMacs and MBPs at least.

A real boon for Mac video cards will come if Leopard (or Quicktime 8) enables offloading MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 decoding to the video card, or even encoding offloading (to some degree).

I don't think DX10 is what any of us cares about.

It's the speed of the thing in general.

1900XTX does DX9. We don't care for that either, not any older version of DX.

It's speed all the way, and 1900XTX is getting too old and needs to be replaced.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Absolutely - a newer card will mean faster Open GL which is more Mac relevant, but in my opinion Apple should also think in terms of Windows switchers when it comes to hardware (not just software), so having hardware in place that is closer to todays PC/Windows systems (instead of equiv. 1 or 2 year old PC components) to ease the switchers over will help a great deal.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

Absolutely - a newer card will mean faster Open GL which is more Mac relevant, but in my opinion Apple should also think in terms of Windows switchers when it comes to hardware (not just software), so having hardware in place that is closer to todays PC/Windows systems (instead of equiv. 1 or 2 year old PC components) to ease the switchers over will help a great deal.

Yeah, especially with the way they are promoting BootCamp these days it will sure help.

But, atm we can only hope we get a videocard upgrade for the Mac Pro soon.

Gonna order a 27" screen this week and will see in October for the Mac Pro again.

Was hoping to own one by now though :-(
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

I don't think DX10 is what any of us cares about.

It's the speed of the thing in general.

1900XTX does DX9. We don't care for that either, not any older version of DX.

It's speed all the way, and 1900XTX is getting too old and needs to be replaced.

It's maybe slow compared to top of the line PC cards, but it's not SLOW. It's probably faster than the 8600 in the MBPs.

The problem is that Apple doesn't upgrade its computers to add one thing. It upgrades its computers to add 2-3. So it will never have the fastest graphics card.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

It's maybe slow compared to top of the line PC cards, but it's not SLOW. It's probably faster than the 8600 in the MBPs.

The problem is that Apple doesn't upgrade its computers to add one thing. It upgrades its computers to add 2-3. So it will never have the fastest graphics card.

Very nice, but if I want to play new high tech games in either Mac OS or through BootCamp in Windows, then I want a proper video card to play with and use all settings to the max, not reducing them.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

Very nice, but if I want to play new high tech games in either Mac OS or through BootCamp in Windows, then I want a proper video card to play with and use all settings to the max, not reducing them.

Well, if max settings all the time is your aim, then you'll be buying two $500 video cards yearly, and you probably won't be using a Mac Pro, because FB-DIMMs aren't that low latency.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Well, if max settings all the time is your aim, then you'll be buying two $500 video cards yearly, and you probably won't be using a Mac Pro, because FB-DIMMs aren't that low latency.

Nah, just running a single 7900GTX atm to power a 20" widescreen (1680x1050) and mostly play WoW. Not too demanding.

I just want a good graphics card for when I do play newer games.

It's part of my hobby, or more what used to be my hobby (overlocking).

When I get my new screen (doing 1920x1200) then I want a videocard that can power it properly, and not to play 800x600 with minimal settings, if you know what I mean.

I know FB-DIMM's aren't great, but not too bad from benchmarks I've read so far.

Plus I like Mac OS.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    FWIW, the MacPro 2.66 with ATI 1900 is insanely fast compared to my old G5 2.5 with 9600 or whatever was in there.

I don't use Macs to play games. It's a TOOL for making money, not a toy for playing games. I wouldn't even think of installing games on my machine. It runs Final Cut / Shake / After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator / AND THATS IT. On the Windows side it runs 3DS Max /Vray / Combustion / AND THATS IT.

Performance in Motion / Shake / After Effects is INSANE. On the Windows side, the performance of 3DMax9 viewports is outstanding. I create higher poly scenes than Pixar does if that tells you anything.

Anyhow guys, I would always appreciate MORE and FASTER... but the MacPro and ATI 1900 gets the job done and gets it done WAY faster than my old G5 setup. I will probably update the card whenever a new card becomes available, but for now, I have to get back to work.

Also FWIW, this thing has already paid for itself in time savings multiplied by my hourly rate.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddAvery View Post

FWIW, the MacPro 2.66 with ATI 1900 is insanely fast compared to my old G5 2.5 with 9600 or whatever was in there.

I don't use Macs to play games. It's a TOOL for making money, not a toy for playing games. I wouldn't even think of installing games on my machine. It runs Final Cut / Shake / After Effects / Photoshop / Illustrator / AND THATS IT. On the Windows side it runs 3DS Max /Vray / Combustion / AND THATS IT.

Performance in Motion / Shake / After Effects is INSANE. On the Windows side, the performance of 3DMax9 viewports is outstanding. I create higher poly scenes than Pixar does if that tells you anything.

Anyhow guys, I would always appreciate MORE and FASTER... but the MacPro and ATI 1900 gets the job done and gets it done WAY faster than my old G5 setup. I will probably update the card whenever a new card becomes available, but for now, I have to get back to work.

Also FWIW, this thing has already paid for itself in time savings multiplied by my hourly rate.

The 9600 is kinda very slow compared to the 1900XTX.

The G5 isn't incredible fast compared to a Xeon as well.

I am not a in the stuff you use your Mac Pro for at all.

I like to play games and yes I know the Mac Pro isn't perfect for the job, but I want one anyway.

You may feel the Mac Pro isn't a "toy" to play games on, I disagree.

I believe it can be used the way the user wants it to use.

And if that means doing normal desktop stuff and playing games in my case, so be it.