iPhone SDK Petition

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Please sign it.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/iPhoneSDK

Probably wond do anything but who know, maybe steve will get some understanding of what we want.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    You don't need an SDK, it runs Web2.0 and Ajax
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    I do to correctly do some of the things i want.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Which are...?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Although I applaud Apple's atempt to give Developers an option for creating apps on the iPhone, I don't think this should be the only way it's done.

Web 2.0 apps work great for things like email and calendars, etc. but what about word processors or spreadsheet/excel-type apps. or games or even widgets. WiFi and EDGE work fine but what-if, as somebody mention, you go in a train, or god forbid a plane. It's lost. Applications should be installed directly onto the iPhone. And I believe Apple already has a secure and safe way to do this.

iTunes.

Apple should create a iPhone section (similar to Movies, Music, Games, etc.) in iTunes. this is the place where you can get all of your Ringtones, Widgets, Apps. iTunes can already manage apps in this fashion with iPod GAMES.

Thinking Outloud...

Widgets ..... Free

Games ..... $1.99 (same as iPod GAMES)

Apps ..... $4.99 -14.99

Matt
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattRebs View Post

Although I applaud Apple's atempt to give Developers an option for creating apps on the iPhone, I don't think this should be the only way it's done.

Web 2.0 apps work great for things like email and calendars, etc. but what about word processors or spreadsheet/excel-type apps. or games or even widgets. WiFi and EDGE work fine but what-if, as somebody mention, you go in a train, or god forbid a plane. It's lost. Applications should be installed directly onto the iPhone. And I believe Apple already has a secure and safe way to do this.

iTunes.

Apple should create a iPhone section (similar to Movies, Music, Games, etc.) in iTunes. this is the place where you can get all of your Ringtones, Widgets, Apps. iTunes can already manage apps in this fashion with iPod GAMES.

Thinking Outloud...

Widgets ..... Free

Games ..... $1.99 (same as iPod GAMES)

Apps ..... $4.99 -14.99

Matt

there also needs to be a way to host in house only apps that may be used in business
  • Reply 6 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Maybe for YOU to do something you want to. I'm sure someone could code it for Web 2.0 + AJAX.

Improve your coding skills.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

there also needs to be a way to host in house only apps that may be used in business

Thinking outloud again; what if In-Houe apps could be synced (sp?) like you do your own hardcopy music. Importing apps could work, I think.

Your company can port the app for the iPhone (or however they do it, Im not well rounded on Developer terms.) using the SDK and supply on a disk.

It's one extra step but it is a solution.

Matt
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

You don't need an SDK, it runs Web2.0 and Ajax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Maybe for YOU to do something you want to. I'm sure someone could code it for Web 2.0 + AJAX.

Improve your coding skills.

Snerk.

Web apps are not remotely comparable to rich client apps and even Apple admits this (see their Google Maps app on the iPhone, and heck see Salesforce?they emphatically tell their users to use a client app on their mobile platform, despite what Steve may think).

I have no idea whether the guy actually needs an SDK, but client apps beat web apps?every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Now client apps in combo with web based stuff rocks; Twitterific, or Mars Edit, or iPhone Google Maps, or whatever; but please don't tell me or anyone else who knows the slightest bit of detail about this that web apps compare to rich client apps.

The All Things Digital Conference

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

I?ll give you a concrete example. I love Google Maps, use it on my computer, you know, in a browser. But when we were doing the iPhone, we thought, wouldn?t it be great to have maps on the iPhone? And so we called up Google and they?d done a few client apps in Java on some phones and they had an API that we worked with them a little on. And we ended up writing a client app for those APIs. They would provide the back-end service. And the app we were able to write ... blows away any Google Maps client. Just blows it away. Same set of data coming off the server, but the experience you have using it is unbelievable. It?s way better than the computer. And just in a completely different league than what they?d put on phones before. And, you know, that client is the result of a lot of technology on the client. So when we show it to them, they?re just blown away by how good it is. And you can?t do that stuff in a browser.

[?]

What I?m saying is, I think the marriage of some really great [native] client apps with some really great cloud services is incredibly powerful and right now, can be way more powerful than just having a browser on the client.