Jobs drags OSX back into Candyland

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was under the impression that we were moving in a more sophisticated direction with OSX until today. With "Stacks" looking like hell, "Spaces" becoming a bloody visual nightmare, and a friggin' angled reflecting Dock...OMFG!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Is it just me? But I find the new Leopard UI somehow looks like Vista
  • Reply 2 of 60
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The menu bar doesn't bother me. I don't think it'll be all that unreadable and because of it's transperancy it "unifies" the desktop.

Stacks is a good solution to me. I like the grid view but stacks sounds fine for folders with several files.

With a Unified and non metal UI Apple is actually delivering the first OS X that isn't a mashup of former OS version UI.

Sure we can look at a couple of flashy add ons but the whole of the OS is more classy and less trashy.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I was under the impression that we were moving in a more sophisticated direction with OSX until today. With "Stacks" looking like hell, "Spaces" becoming a bloody visual nightmare, and a friggin' angled reflecting Dock...OMFG!

The one feature I find to be completely useless flash is the coverflow in finder. In iTunes it's ok as it's kinda cool to see the album art like that. But in finder it would be useless because i need to actually pay attention to what I'm looking for.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The one feature I find to be completely useless flash is the coverflow in finder. In iTunes it's ok as it's kinda cool to see the album art like that. But in finder it would be useless because i need to actually pay attention to what I'm looking for.

I'm actually quite pleased with the coverflow option (and quick view even more) It'll be great for brosing PDFs of all the papers I have, a number of which don't have the most descriptive titles (because I'm lazy).
  • Reply 5 of 60
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I'm actually quite pleased with the coverflow option (and quick view even more) It'll be great for brosing PDFs of all the papers I have, a number of which don't have the most descriptive titles (because I'm lazy).

It's good that the user can choose how to view things. I guess it could come in handy for some but I doubt I'd use it. To each his own I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

They've integrated CoverFlow to make the UI more consistent with iPhone. I believe you'll be able to access your computer with your iPhone, navigate with CoverFlow and download files remotely in the future. This makes sense.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Coverflow is awesome for folders full of images, PDFs, or such. Its not really anything that improves usability elsewhere. But considering I use the Windows "Filmshow" mode for my icon directories, I think its an awesome improvement for those folders.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    The menu bar transparency makes it less dominant and moves it out of focus slightly...which is a good thing but there better be transparency controls (hacked or otherwise). Should also help prevent burn-in for non LED displays (not a huge issue but noticeable on old LCD displays).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Coverflow is awesome for folders full of images, PDFs, or such. Its not really anything that improves usability elsewhere. But considering I use the Windows "Filmshow" mode for my icon directories, I think its an awesome improvement for those folders.

• Reply 9 of 60
    I am probably one of the very few people in a good mood after WWDC07 SteveNote. I love the new desktop, the new finder, time machine, and stacks.

I feel neither burnt nor bitter, they never said they were going to introduce Mac Crazy and MacBook Whatever. They said "We'll talk about Leopard", well they did and they gave us Safari3 on Windows, and some iPhone news on top of that.

Sure it would have been awesome for a new iMac, Multi-Touch or not, but hey there's 4 months until October, and I think there is just "one more thing".

• Reply 10 of 60
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    personally i think it all looks very pretty
  • Reply 11 of 60
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    I liked Stacks, I'm going to create app stacks for my office suite, video tools, art apps and audio tools.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

They've integrated CoverFlow to make the UI more consistent with iPhone. I believe you'll be able to access your computer with your iPhone, navigate with CoverFlow and download files remotely in the future. This makes sense.

I completely agree. The iphone must have a consistent UI with the home computers.

Then if you have OS X you get the extra goodness from your iphone. Works ok with windows but has way more features with OSX
  • Reply 14 of 60
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Exactly! Your iPhone will just be another Mac on the network capable of using the new "Back to my Mac" feature.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    I liked what I saw at WWDC 07 Keynote.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    ^ Ditto.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I just don't get you guys sometimes, I really like Leopard. Remember software is a subtle game. What seem like incremental changes are bigger than you think, I'm disappointed by the ZFS situation though. I didn't love the keynote, it was boring, but I think Leopard will be a great release when all is said and done, and I hope to God Steve is planning on getting rid of Aqua, FULLY.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I must confess that I did feel a little let down by the keynote. Just because I didn't really see much new. I do like the new Leopard UI and I think Stacks will be very handy indeed, but I expected more for some reason. I think we are probably to blame for that though. We build the hype, not Apple. So I guess I can't complain too much.

As far as the desktop goes, the grass looks rather Vista! I'm probably one of the few that actually use the iconic blue background in Tiger and if it doesn't come with Leopard, i'll be adding it!
  • Reply 19 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift

I'm probably one of the few that actually use the iconic blue background in Tiger...

You are.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I'm probably one of the few that actually use the iconic blue background in Tiger

I use it. I've tried a few other things but I always fall back to Tiger Aqua.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are.

He's not the ONLY one.