What happened to Resolution Independence?

jbljbl
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought Resolution Independence was a given for Leopard. I thought last year they were pushing developers into writing code that was ready to take advantage of resolution independence. What happened to it? Is it still in there but not mentioned anywhere? A secret feature that you will have to turn on via the command line? Or did I just miss something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Me was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

I thought Resolution Independence was a given for Leopard. I thought last year they were pushing developers into writing code that was ready to take advantage of resolution independence. What happened to it? Is it still in there but not mentioned anywhere? A secret feature that you will have to turn on via the command line? Or did I just miss something?

Leopard is still resolution independant. There are over 300 features in leopard... the keynote only talked about 10. And to clarify... a feature does not constitude a technology like native 64-bit or core image... And Apple's technologies page for leopard is oddly blank...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Do we have any idea how many popular apps will be ready for resolution independence when Leopard ships? Camino? NeoOffice?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wonder when these other 290 magical features will be revealed. I think it's a little late for Microsoftie to steal 'em for Vista.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I wonder when these other 290 magical features will be revealed. I think it's a little late for Microsoftie to steal 'em for Vista.

hahahaha!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Whether Leopard features are revealed now or in October might make the difference whether or not Microsoft can copy them in time for whatever, if anything, follows Vista -- sometime in the next decade.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    See my post here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=21

Also, go to MacRumors - they have reports that resolution independence is implemented even in ZOOM feature
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quick question, if you don't mind my asking, What is resolution independence?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Quick question, if you don't mind my asking, What is resolution independence?

RI allows you to scale the UI to match your monitors PPI (pixels per inch) for instance, you just bought that spiffy new 30" LCD that looks great displaying photos but now you can't read anything because the text is tiny and the icons have shrunk to gnat proportions.

With RI you could just scale up the entire UI so that your icons and text are at a readible size. Sounds like common sense but with computer UI everything is mapped out to pixels and changing things comes with a lot of backend work.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

what about Illuminous?!... supposedly there was also going to be a new UI introduced in Leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tigemstigems Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Leopard is still resolution independant. There are over 300 features in leopard... the keynote only talked about 10. And to clarify... a feature does not constitude a technology like native 64-bit or core image... And Apple's technologies page for leopard is oddly blank...

But wasn't 64 bitness one of the 10 features shown off at WWDC? And Core Animation was another one of those 10 shown off, yeah? So I think new technologies are 'features' for Apple, kinda like h.264 in quicktime was shown off in Tiger and stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tigems View Post

But wasn't 64 bitness one of the 10 features shown off at WWDC? And Core Animation was another one of those 10 shown off, yeah? So I think new technologies are 'features' for Apple, kinda like h.264 in quicktime was shown off in Tiger and stuff.

Go to the Apple website about Leopard and see how they classify "features" and "technologies"
  • Reply 13 of 13
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghiangelo View Post

what about Illuminous?!... supposedly there was also going to be a new UI introduced in Leopard.

Illuminous was a very bad Think Secret (I think) joke...and a lot of people fell for it. Haha!