MWSF - the next big show.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well it's pretty early, but I have predictions. At least one.

Mac Pro at MWSF.

Anyone else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Mac Pro at MWSF.

Anyone else.

My prediction is based upon the following: With record sales for Macs, while other computer makers sales are stagnant, why would Apple change anything? Incremental increases, here and there, until Mac sales start declining.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    What about apple paris?

Didn't steve mention that he was taking his family to france to disney???

I bet he gets in for free now.

Read the tea leaves people.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The last two big keynotes were both a big disappiontment on the Mac front. iPhone and Apple TV that's what we've got. But we're still stuck with the same old Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, Mac mini and iMac designs from years ago.

My guess:

MWSF 2008 will see iPhone 2, and/or an iPhone tablet like device.

And it'll be another big disappointment on the Mac hardware front.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

With record sales for Macs . . . why would Apple change anything? Incremental increases, here and there, until Mac sales start declining.

Like, maybe Apple would want to sell more Macs and increase market share?

Once customers become dissatisfied and buy the competitors' products, it's hard to get those customers back. It's better to never let sales start to decline. Keep customers happy with a stream of new products.

• Reply 5 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I expect to see a special event for new iMacs long before MW 08.

Remember, Apple has said that it wants to get away from the "big blockbuster" format of holding all their announcements for the major conferences.

I think we'll also see the demise of the Mini, and, God willing, something to take its place in the product lineup.

And, possibly, a subnotebook, at last.

All well before Mac World.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Like, maybe Apple would want to sell more Macs and increase market share?

Once customers become dissatisfied and buy the competitors' products, it's hard to get those customers back. It's better to never let sales start to decline. Keep customers happy with a stream of new products.

But the disenchanted few, including myself, on these forums do not represent the mini-masses (or the typical Mac buyer) who are buying Macs.

I usually keep my Mac about 4 to 4.5 years and then just buy all new equipment. I've been ready to buy for 2 years now. Apple hasn't offered a new tower version, of my liking, to replace my G4 tower. But no matter how mad I get at Apple, I won't buy a Windows machine.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I usually keep my Mac about 4 to 4.5 years and then just buy all new equipment. I've been ready to buy for 2 years now. Apple hasn't offered a new tower version, of my liking, to replace my G4 tower. But no matter how mad I get at Apple, I won't buy a Windows machine.

Hmmm. You sound almost like me. I've bought my last two PowerMacs on eBay because Apple didn''t offer a mid range tower. I was speaking in too generally. You are correct that many Mac users, like you and me, will not buy a Windows PC.

Nevertheless, Apple is missing out on sales when we don't buy, or buy on eBay. I keep hoping Apple will make a mini tower, which has been discussed for years now. If not, the Mac Pro will be at a reasonable price on eBay in 2 to 4 years. That's what I'll buy, but I sure would like a somewhat smaller tower with a single, but powerful, multi-core CPU chip.

• Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

What about apple paris?

There's Paris, and there's the usual iPod event in November, and there has traditionally been a fall bump in September/October. I imagine that somewhere in the mid-September timeframe, we'll have a Mac update event and an official "Leopard date setting" announcement.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Mac Pro at MWSF.

Anyone else.

Not sure onlooker.

I think MWSF will be mostly consumer stuff.

I would predict around October a new MacPro with new interior architecture, more powerful graphic cards and maybe faster speeds. Same enclosure.

At the same time with the release of Leopard with independent resolution UI, new displays.

I think at MWSF a new Macmini and possible a ultra-portable laptop.

I also look for the iPod 6g in october or at the latest at MWSF.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Personally I think there will be a new Mini, and iMac before SF. The Mac Pro has made appearances at MW many times before. It's not like it would shock any body. Plus - they need to give it a real update.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

There's Paris, and there's the usual iPod event in November, and there has traditionally been a fall bump in September/October. I imagine that somewhere in the mid-September timeframe, we'll have a Mac update event and an official "Leopard date setting" announcement.

If this year has shown us anything it is that past patterns are no indicator.

I think Apple is going to create a fall bonanza that will see the roll-out of new iMacs and the release of Leopard.

Later I think there will be a bevy of new iPods in time for the holiday buying spree.

I also think there is a possibility of a new Mac Pro before MWSF 08, but a lot of that will depend on Intel and their ability to get Penryn out the door in sufficient numbers for all. Penryn would be a boost to Mac/PC sales for Christmas, etc.., if they can get it done in time.

Cheers.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple Expo Paris sept 25-29

Curiously close to the Leopard release date...

My guess is the paris show will highlight Steve!

And a mert load of new hardware and software.

oui?
  • Reply 13 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I would expect any new hardware announcements for this year to be pretty tame (mostly speed upgrades, etc.), nothing totally 'redesigned'.

I think with the push into iPhone and existing hardware sales doing OK they feel no pressure to change, which is a shame. They seem to be slowing down on the excitement, and Steve is starting to lose his energy level too. Damn.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

The last two big keynotes were both a big disappiontment on the Mac front. iPhone and Apple TV that's what we've got. But we're still stuck with the same old Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, Mac mini and iMac designs from years ago.

My guess:

MWSF 2008 will see iPhone 2, and/or an iPhone tablet like device.

And it'll be another big disappointment on the Mac hardware front.

No tablet, but iPhone 2G sounds reasonable... I also think that's where they're going to unveil the ultraportable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

I imagine that somewhere in the mid-September timeframe, we'll have a Mac update event and an official "Leopard date setting" announcement.

How about late September, in Paris? :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Not sure onlooker.

I think MWSF will be mostly consumer stuff.

I would predict around October a new MacPro with new interior architecture, more powerful graphic cards and maybe faster speeds. Same enclosure.

At the same time with the release of Leopard with independent resolution UI, new displays.

I think at MWSF a new Macmini and possible a ultra-portable laptop.

I also look for the iPod 6g in october or at the latest at MWSF.

Mac Pro: I'd expect this same update, but probably at MWSF.

Mac Mini: As AI reported, I believe it's going to be killed off in September.

Leopard: As stated, in October.

Ultra-portable: MWSF. I doubt it'll be ready before it, this timing should be just about right.

iMac: Will get slight bump on RAM, HD, possibly chip speed on some models (thats all) either in 2-3 weeks, or in September in Paris. Also gets price reduction. Fills gap Mac Mini left.

iMac Pro: Much-rumored redesign. Co-exists with iMac. Gets Santa Rosa. More RAM than iMac. Larger HDs than iMac. Dedicated GPUs. Announced in September in Paris. Possibly made available alongside Leopard.

iPod: Released at MWSF, so as to not interfere with iPhone sales during the holidays. Will have touch screen, similar interface to iPhone, keeps iPod external look, does not have accelerometers for orientation sensing. Instead, a button in the corner will switch from list to cover flow mode.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Penryn is supposedly dropping in late Q3, which is basically September. What is unknown is exactly how hard the launch will be. As in, will there be enough chips to go around to all the OEMs, or what? Because there's a decent chance that Penryn lands in September and Apple only updates one of the MBP/iMac lines to use it, and holds the other for MWSF.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Once customers become dissatisfied and buy the competitors' products, it's hard to get those customers back.

I bet that's what Michael Dell is thinking.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

No tablet, but iPhone 2G sounds reasonable... I also think that's where they're going to unveil the ultraportable.

How about late September, in Paris? :P

Mac Pro: I'd expect this same update, but probably at MWSF.

Mac Mini: As AI reported, I believe it's going to be killed off in September.

Leopard: As stated, in October.

Ultra-portable: MWSF. I doubt it'll be ready before it, this timing should be just about right.

iMac: Will get slight bump on RAM, HD, possibly chip speed on some models (thats all) either in 2-3 weeks, or in September in Paris. Also gets price reduction. Fills gap Mac Mini left.

a iMac can not replace a head less system.

apple may drop the mini for a desktop system.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

N

iPod: Released at MWSF, so as to not interfere with iPhone sales during the holidays. Will have touch screen, similar interface to iPhone, keeps iPod external look, does not have accelerometers for orientation sensing. Instead, a button in the corner will switch from list to cover flow mode.

Not sure,

I think the iPhone will be here by almost 4 months, if they introduce the iPod 6g at end of October. So the hype will start to die down.

Plus the iPhone is almost like a item the people buy for themselves than actually buying as a gift to someone else, because of the AT&T plans, coverage, etc.

I think the Xmas season is the perfect timing to introduce the iPod. Unless Apple have problems with their suppliers, I would expect it to be announce then. At least I hope so. I am so tired of waiting.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

a iMac can not replace a head less system.

apple may drop the mini for a desktop system.

Millions can only hope.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    It's funny how many people seem to think the next (whichever next that might be) event will include an onslaught of product announcements. Those people have been proven wrong so far. Apple has NEVER EVER release a ton of products at ANY event.

Unfortunately, Apple just cannot keep up with revamping their growing number of products. Every time that a new product gets introduced it just means that older (i.e. last year's hot products) will fall by the wayside for a while. Yet they keep on spitting out more and more new things. It's almost like watching 24...it just keeps on getting worse.

Apple has some innovations, but it seems now they are playing catchup more often. Whatever happened to iSight? Should it really take this long to create a new camera or at least release a Cinema Display with a built-in camera? I don't think so.

Development on the MacPro front seems to have stalled completely at this point. I somehow doubt we'll see much a revision when we finally do see one. That means the update will just get announced without much fanfare...just like the new MBP. You'll maybe see a new video card, maybe a new M/B. But what exactly could one expect beyond that? Lot's of people seem to complain about the case, but this is a Pro machine. It is not meant for the casual user--that's what the iMac is for.

And what exactly is wrong with the iMac? You could tweak the way it looks but beyond that...how much more do you want other than maybe an LCD backlight?

Pehaps the problem is that Apple has just pretty much reached a barrier as to how much more they can innovate. The growth is obviously in newer lines like the iPod, iPhone, iTV.

I'd have to say that Apple better lookout. Over the next few years Windows or some other competitor could close the gap: Ubuntu Linux is making pretty darn good progress; OpenSolaris might also be a contender. The only thing that Ubuntu and OpenSolaris lack is the killer design suite--the Adobe stuff. I'd consider switching to Windows (yeah, after 10 years) if they just dumped the registry and made it app. installation more Mac like. Vista is pretty nice if all you care about is iCandy.

Don't expect much at upcoming events. At the beginning of the year Steve said this would be a terrific year (or something like that)...well, we're still waiting for that to happen and we're now half way through.