Powerbook died - won't charge!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks,

My Powerbook G4 has died. AFAIK, the only thing wrong with it is that it won't charge. So really, it's that the battery is permanently drained and I can't charge it.

As far as i can tell, it's not the lead, it's something wrong with the charger socket and/or the motherboard where it connects. It does seem a little loose; you can rattle it around a bit in the socket.

Is there a fix to this? Is there any way to charge the battery outside of the laptop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maffrew View Post

Is there a fix to this?

Buy a cheap powerbook adaptor off ebay.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    That won't make a blind bit of difference because as I said, as far as I can tell, it's the actual laptop end that it loose and wiggles. Of course it could be the adapter/lead, but I'd rather not spend money on another one and then it not work.

Ah well, i'll save up for a MacBook
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maffrew View Post

That won't make a blind bit of difference because as I said, as far as I can tell, it's the actual laptop end that it loose and wiggles. Of course it could be the adapter/lead, but I'd rather not spend money on another one and then it not work.

Ah well, i'll save up for a MacBook

Ah, I see yeah I had a laptop like that and I always had to twist the power cord in the slot to get it to connect properly - the port itself seemed to wiggle. I wasn't sure if it was the adaptor or the machine either but I passed it on to someone else and they got a new power adaptor and it feels really tight.

I would still save up for the Macbook though, I don't know why it took someone so long to use magnets to hold the things in. I wish they'd do it with the Mac mini too.