A Question if you Please (about wireless-n)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I´m in spain for the summer studying abroad, which is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the house where I´m staying doesn't have internet. I can see a bunch of wireless networks, only one of which is unprotected, but the signal is too weak to connect to. I have a 2.33ghz MBP, so with the core 2 duo, and I was wondering if by enabling the wireless-n capabilities of my laptop that I might be able to see oter networks, as in, will this help increase the wireless vision range of my laptop or help increase the strength of visible networks?

sorry, it´s a noobie question, but I´m desperate.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Well, I´m in spain for the summer studying abroad, which is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the house where I´m staying doesn't have internet. I can see a bunch of wireless networks, only one of which is unprotected, but the signal is too weak to connect to. I have a 2.33ghz MBP, so with the core 2 duo, and I was wondering if by enabling the wireless-n capabilities of my laptop that I might be able to see oter networks, as in, will this help increase the wireless vision range of my laptop or help increase the strength of visible networks?

sorry, it´s a noobie question, but I´m desperate.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My feeling is "probably not." N-spec is still not widely deployed at all. And the increased range would presumably only work n-spec networks. Save the two bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Yeah, enabling N wouldn't really help. Unless one of those networks was a new N network, you would gain nothing. But, for the future, I just bought a new MBP and a new Aiport Extreme, and the range is amazing. So easy too.