OS X Leopard: New GUI? New icons?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A few observations;
  • Steve has different buttons for his Safari than we do in Safari 3?

• Steve says consistent Window look. Yet the Quicktime player he shows has Aqua buttons, and the Preview he shows has the new iTunes-like 'push' buttons.

• All icons seem to be the same as Tiger. I really thought we were going to see a new calculator icon like the iPhone's one, black with silver etc. They have had the time to do some nice new icons, they really should have.

• Safari and all the other apps he uses have Aqua scroll bars, yet iTunes 7 has the new non-Aqua scroll bars, the same color as the new Leopard Spotlight and Finder Help menu boxes.

Clearly there's OS UI work yet to be done, but I'm really hoping to see an end to those aqua scroll bars, and other Aqua bits and bobs. I somehow doubt we'll see new icons for apps etc, but I'm hoping for such a surprise - I suppose we'll see what happens.

All in all I'm impressed with Leopard, but I don't see the wow starting now or any time soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    uhm You do realize he was showing off a beta product right?

Not to mention even on Apple's very own Leopard webpage it says:

Quote:

All features referenced in the Mac OS X Leopard website are subject to change.

• Reply 2 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

uhm You do realize he was showing off a beta product right?

Not to mention even on Apple's very own Leopard webpage it says:

I edited out the part of my post; "please resist the temptation to give quick smart answers", looks like I should have left it in. I know it's a beta pal, that's why I said; "a few observations". Pop up list buttons on the iPhone also have a new look to them which Safari 3 em..'BETA' doesn't have.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I edited out the part of my post; "please resist the temptation to give quick smart answers", looks like I should have left it in. I know it's a beta pal, that's why I said; "a few observations". Pop up list buttons on the iPhone also have a new look to them which Safari 3 em..'BETA' doesn't have.

Big freakin' deal. You should know that the build Steve is using is newer than the Beta build stamped on CD: that is always a week or two behind demos.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Well ireland if it is any consolation i thought your post was insightful observant and intriguing.

Yeah i dont like the aqua buttons either. I really hope there isn't different ui looks between different apps. that would really bug me.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Am i wrong or are there new folder icons? Wernt they sort of blue and a bit larger? I better watch the keynot again
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Am i wrong or are there new folder icons? Wernt they sort of blue and a bit larger? I better watch the keynot again.

There is new folder icons, but there isn't any new app icons.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome10 View Post

Well ireland if it is any consolation i thought your post was insightful observant and intriguing.

Yeah i dont like the aqua buttons either. I really hope there isn't different ui looks between different apps. that would really bug me.

Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread. I am also hoping Apple thinks about making new close, max and zoom buttons, they've done their time, they are slightly too small, and if you mis-click one of them twice the windows jumps into the dock. Ease of use Apple, ease of use. And for God's sake Stevey, please find a way to give all the people who want one (which is loads), a maximize button. A checkbox in preferences, when checked Zoom becomes maximize and maybe the green zoom button changes to deep blue. There'll be heaps of peeps here that will no doubt tell me why a maximize button isn't a good idea, but what you all fail to realize is if people are crying out for one, is must be a fucking good idea for them.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A few observations;[LIST][*]Steve has different buttons for his Safari than we do in Safari 3?

Steve's Safari in running in Leopard and your Safari is running in Tiger.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Steve's Safari in running in Leopard and your Safari is running in Tiger.

They look like the buttons iTunes is using, wow Leopard has amazing powers.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Leopard has such amazing powers that apps that use standard UI elements (which excludes iTunes) gets the standard look.

Oh wait, every version of Mac OS X has that power.

Safari 3 on Tiger should follow the Tiger guidelines and not the Leopard guidelines.

Btw. iTunes has a custom UI embedded into the app itself.