shutting the MBP issue... common?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it normal for the MBP to not be flush when it's closed? When I close my macbook, and it latches, there's a small gap between the top and bottom on the left side/corner. Everything looks perfect and level (and sexy) going right to left until the corner. No, it doesn't affect performance, it just... kind of bothers me. I dished out a good 2 grand and the thing doesn't even seem to close right. Is this normal or should I venture back to the apple store before I upload anything else and get a replacement? Perhaps just see a psychologist and get treated for OCD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This is perfectly normal. Every Alu PowerBooks and every MacBook Pro has this slight misalignment. Sometimes it's right, sometimes left. If the display would close the way you would like it, then you'd have marks from the keyboard all over the screen, which are very hard to get rid of over time.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

This is perfectly normal. Every Alu PowerBooks and every MacBook Pro has this slight misalignment. Sometimes it's right, sometimes left. If the display would close the way you would like it, then you'd have marks from the keyboard all over the screen, which are very hard to get rid of over time.

Alright, well even if you're lying to me, it makes me feel better . Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

Alright, well even if you're lying to me, it makes me feel better . Thanks!

There is a need for space between screen and keyboard, but this is not achieved through misalignment. This is a rather common design defect in the Powerbook and Macbook Pro. Fortunately, it affects no operation and, generally, it is not immediately noticeable.