Question about MacBook Keyboard

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just ordered a MacBook a few days ago and received it today from Apple.com. I currently have a MacBook Pro C2D.

Unfortunately I don't live near a Apple store and am in a very rural area so I hadn't seen one in person. From the web site and description I could tell it had a different look, more white than silver but a few things shocked me.

First, I understand it's more of a budget and consumer notebook but the look was definitely more cheap but inside it's a great machine. What really got to me was the keyboard. I enjoy the Macbook Pro's keyboard and it seems very nice. The backlight is nice but most of all it has a very comfortable/professional feel.

The Macbook keyboard just did not appeal to me. It felt more cheap but didn't feel 'real'. Of course I'm not used to it and want to give it a fair chance. I''ve heard the Macbook is a newer design than the MacBook Pro so does this mean the Macbook Pro keyboard will be like this? Is it something you get used to with time and is it actually a better keyboard once you get used to it? I am thinking of returning it but want to get it a fair chance. I'm almost wondering if it's worth waiting for a 13" MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I'm in love with my macbook's keyboard. It's actually my favorite keyboard that I have used as far as feel.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yes, the MacBook is a more up to date design than the MacBook Pro.

I much prefer the look and feel of the MB's keyboard over the MBP's. I personally find that I can type faster and more accurately on the MB and I suspect that this might have something to do with the fact that the there are spaces between the keys. It's harder to accidentally hit the wrong key when there is a margin for error there.

I've also noticed that I've started to 'skim' the keys on the MB's keyboard (my fingertips rarely actually leave the surface of the various keys, much like someone reading braille) probably due to the fact that the MB's keys are completely flat.

All in all I would much rather carry a MB around all day than a MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Yes, the MacBook is a more up to date design than the MacBook Pro.

I much prefer the look and feel of the MB's keyboard over the MBP's. I personally find that I can type faster and more accurately on the MB and I suspect that this might have something to do with the fact that the there are spaces between the keys. It's harder to accidentally hit the wrong key when there is a margin for error there.

I've also noticed that I've started to 'skim' the keys on the MB's keyboard (my fingertips rarely actually leave the surface of the various keys, much like someone reading braille) probably due to the fact that the MB's keys are completely flat.

All in all I would much rather carry a MB around all day than a MBP.

i don't have either, but when i tested them both out, i much prefered the macbook. big keys, spaces between, i could type really fast, which is rare for using a keyboard for the first time. i would stick with the macbook. it's sexier looking. what color do you have?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I'm in love with my macbook's keyboard. It's actually my favorite keyboard that I have used as far as feel.

I second that emotion!

I've used all sorts of keyboards - Mac and PC (and Amiga and AtariST and etc etc), laptop and desktop, and I have to say the MacBooks keyboard is the best I've used - it's light to touch but responsive, the spacing between the keys means hardly any sausagefingered mistypes, and the square keys look nice and cute. It sort of reminds me of a keyboard from a home computer from the early 1980s - the Oric1 or Sinclair Spectrum perhaps - only not made of rubber, and not crap.

I think the Enter and cursor keys are too small though. And the sharp edge of the MacBook makes me look like I've been tryng to slit my wrists with a kids plastic knife. And whats that key with the square with the circles on the four corners about? Would've been better to put a Windows key there!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martianrobot View Post

I second that emotion!

I've used all sorts of keyboards - Mac and PC (and Amiga and AtariST and etc etc), laptop and desktop, and I have to say the MacBooks keyboard is the best I've used - it's light to touch but responsive, the spacing between the keys means hardly any sausagefingered mistypes, and the square keys look nice and cute. It sort of reminds me of a keyboard from a home computer from the early 1980s - the Oric1 or Sinclair Spectrum perhaps - only not made of rubber, and not crap.

I think the Enter and cursor keys are too small though. And the sharp edge of the MacBook makes me look like I've been tryng to slit my wrists with a kids plastic knife. And whats that key with the square with the circles on the four corners about? Would've been better to put a Windows key there!

That would be the Control/Command key.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

I just ordered a MacBook a few days ago and received it today from Apple.com. I currently have a MacBook Pro C2D.

Unfortunately I don't live near a Apple store and am in a very rural area so I hadn't seen one in person. From the web site and description I could tell it had a different look, more white than silver but a few things shocked me.

First, I understand it's more of a budget and consumer notebook but the look was definitely more cheap but inside it's a great machine. What really got to me was the keyboard. I enjoy the Macbook Pro's keyboard and it seems very nice. The backlight is nice but most of all it has a very comfortable/professional feel.

The Macbook keyboard just did not appeal to me. It felt more cheap but didn't feel 'real'. Of course I'm not used to it and want to give it a fair chance. I''ve heard the Macbook is a newer design than the MacBook Pro so does this mean the Macbook Pro keyboard will be like this? Is it something you get used to with time and is it actually a better keyboard once you get used to it? I am thinking of returning it but want to get it a fair chance. I'm almost wondering if it's worth waiting for a 13" MacBook Pro.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro and a 3 week-old MacBook, and while MB owners stick up for their MacBook, the keyboard is more of a budget keyboard in terms of manufacturing. These keyboards are also lighter and thinner, and thus are found on smaller notebooks. I will gaurantee there will never be an Apple flasgship laptop with this style keyboard. People think that because the MacBook Pro/Powerbook design has been around for a few years that this design is outdated, however in review after review these keyboards are rated as the most comfortable, high quality keyboards found on any laptop. Be careful what you wish for... Dell used to make laptops with very solid, comfortable keyboards and when they went to modernize their lines and introduced such notebooks as the Inspiron 8500, the keyboards were thin and extremely flimsy. It is only of late that computer manufacturers are getting away from that trend and making quality keyboards again.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

That would be the Control/Command key.

I know. That was just a vague attempt at ironic humour.