Improved Spotlight in Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was just watching WWDC 2006 and one of the 10 features that they talked about was improved Spotlight. They demonstrated how spotlight had been integrated into the help system in Leopard. Not only could you search the help system but once you found your information it was tied to the menu where that function was located. For example they showed an image and searched for the word center to see how it could be centered. Once the Spotlight results came back the menu in the program they were searching opened up to the center function. I wonder if this will make it into Leopard come October? I thought it was a very nice feature. There is no mention of improved Spotlight on Apple's new Leopard pages.

I wish Apple would list all of those "300" new features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I wish Apple would list all of those "300" new features.

There was once a table comparing the new features between Jaguar and Panther I think. It was on Apple's site but I cannot find it anymore.

The conclusion is this. Don't believe the hype about 100, 200 or 300 "new features". I am not saying Apple is lying since there will be indeed 300 or so "new features" but not of the scale of the advertised ones. In 95% of the cases it will be system tweaks that the vast majority of users will never notice. However, all of them in combination improve the general user experience and of course placing the pieces together and making sure everything works well, takes much work and time, regardless of how trivial the modifications may sometimes seem.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Don't believe the hype about 100, 200 or 300 "new features". I am not saying Apple is lying since there will be indeed 300 or so "new features" but not of the scale of the advertised ones.

And remember you can have up to 4.9 million possible configurations in the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yes Spotlight, Bonjour and the Help system have all received noteworthy upgrades. Spotlight adds Boolean searching which is important because when you have multiple networked computers at home sharing content your searching better improve if you want to find data on other computers.

The Help menu is pretty slick as it has the floating pointers to show you where to go next. Should be very nice for novice computer users.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

There was once a table comparing the new features between Jaguar and Panther I think. It was on Apple's site but I cannot find it anymore.

The conclusion is this. Don't believe the hype about 100, 200 or 300 "new features". I am not saying Apple is lying since there will be indeed 300 or so "new features" but not of the scale of the advertised ones. In 95% of the cases it will be system tweaks that the vast majority of users will never notice. However, all of them in combination improve the general user experience and of course placing the pieces together and making sure everything works well, takes much work and time, regardless of how trivial the modifications may sometimes seem.

Some people have it in their heads that an OS should cater to them and them only. It's like $129...assuming a portion of the users didn't just download it with it's lack of protection paid, is actually worth much. It's actually worth quite little. Some people spend more on taxi fare.

I can assure you that both developers and users, administrators, and teachers alike have benefited from the change, and sometime heavy needed basis.

I hope those those people, never have to go in to the business world where you really do pay through the nose for every little feature, including the right to move it, or change its settings.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuku View Post

Some people have it in their heads that an OS should cater to them and them only. It's like $129...assuming a portion of the users didn't just download it with it's lack of protection paid, is actually worth much. It's actually worth quite little. Some people spend more on taxi fare.

I can assure you that both developers and users, administrators, and teachers alike have benefited from the change, and sometime heavy needed basis.

I don't think PB's saying "don't buy Leopard", I think he's saying, "Don't expect the other 290 features to be as good as Core Animation or Time Machine and get your hopes all up."

And I agree with him. The other 200 features will be a series of things that we notice, go "oh, cool, that's useful", and move on from in the space of about 2 minutes. Taken altogether though, they make for the best OS out there.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

I don't think PB's saying "don't buy Leopard", I think he's saying, "Don't expect the other 290 features to be as good as Core Animation or Time Machine and get your hopes all up."

And I agree with him. The other 200 features will be a series of things that we notice, go "oh, cool, that's useful", and move on from in the space of about 2 minutes. Taken altogether though, they make for the best OS out there.

That's exactly what I mean. People often get their expectations up and then the plunge to the deep and dark waters of disappointment follows. In the case of Leopard though Apple has his good share of responsibility for that.

There is no doubt that Leopard will be more than enough good to entice people to upgrade. But one should not have its hopes so high. After the first shock with Mac OS X 10.0, Apple seems to improve gradually its OS giving people time to get accustomed to the new features. A revolution in UI, while it has the "wow factor", can in practice be proved a nightmare to market if not introduced the correct moment.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Tiger has 200+ New Features

Sebastian

And Panther had more than 150. I don't see what you are trying to say. Anyway, the longer the wait between OS X releases, the higher the number advertised. It must be an absolute requirement by the market gurus at Apple to do advertisement based on "number of new features". It is something that the average consumer can understand, but that personally I don't like.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I was reconfirming what you said and what I said either on these forums or somewhere else, I can't remember, I was also laughing at the list of features because while there are over 200 of them and they are all new features, they still don't produce the same shock wave as Spotlight, Dashboard, and Automator by themselves would (if you were to cut those 3 from the same list of course).

Sebastian

Alright, I see. This is something like the "GHz myth" for operating systems. I don't understand how Apple got this route.