Apple and AT&T to expand iPhone distribution after initial launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavik View Post

I think they want it to eventually be *the* consumer phone, similar to their success with the iPod. But that goal is years down the road. How much did the first few iPods cost? $499 rings a bell. The iPhone is not just a fancy iPod on steroids, but also your cell phone, organizer/PDA, internet communicator, browser and mobile map all in one, running friggin' full OSX!

The launch model was $399 for a 5GB. Later, a $499 model was offered with 10GB, since then there was a slide in cost with added features. I think the most expensive iPod was $650 for the first 60GB photo, but the prices on that dropped every three months until it settled down to $399.

I'm no longer as concerned as I was with the initial cost, but the fact that they haven't announced the subscription fees and other policies concern me, because at whatever the price, the subscription will dwarf the initial outlay. Each swing of $10/mo means $240 for the life of the plan. $60 would be $1440, $100 would be $2400. I suppose most people won't really think of the total outlay, but whether they can afford the monthly fee.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

Okay here's my price range, Voice-Unlimited night/weekend 1000 minute voice, unlimited data for....

$69/month.

Why that price? Simply to come in lower than any other smart phone, and remove any worry about plan pricing.

Why am I so sure it will come in on the lower side of these plans??? Simple because Verizon turned down Apple's "demands" and that's a price that would definitely be a demand, especially when Apple get $3-4 back per month.

That's it $69/month.

Place your bets.

Let's get started.

Voice-Unlimited night/weekend 1000 minute voice, unlimited internet
    Ajhill $69
    Abster2core $66
    I am going with Apple's favorite number, i.e., 99. Except that this is 'revolutionary, i.e., upside down. Thus the 66.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Let's get started.

Ajhill $69
    Abster2core $66
    I am going with Apple's favorite number, i.e., 99. Except that this is 'revolutionary, i.e., upside down. Thus the 66.

$79, at the lowest, no more than $99
  • Reply 44 of 64
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member

Ajhill $69

Abster2core $66

Addabox $79, at the lowest, no more than $99

P.S. Anybody want to join in, simply select and copy above to your reply, Delete quote before pasting. Paste and then add your prediction to the list.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I would expect that your existing sim card will work. You will probably be able to activate it online.

As for the employees at the ATT store they probably don't know ANY of the actual details about the roll out.

You will hear all within a few days of launch.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

I would expect that your existing sim card will work. You will probably be able to activate it online.

As for the employees at the ATT store they probably don't know ANY of the actual details about the roll out.

You will hear all within a few days of launch.

Not true, I just talked to them. I just put up a blog entry about what I've compiled so far.

http://www.myphonewar.com/index/news...-run-down.html

Quote:

The details are beginning to crystallize on the availability of the iPhone on June 29th, 2007. For some, this will be the day that lived in infamy, for others it will be their short-lived moment in the sun, the envy of throngs of others. Apparently, the 29th is being considered something of a "soft launch" for the iPhone. AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook confirmed that the phone will only be available through the company's stores (roughly 1800), and those of Apple itself (around 170). The following represents additional tips and info.

For those looking to get the phone at an AT&T store, they are strongly advised to be clear on whether it is an "authorised reseller" or a "company owned" store. On AT&T's own "store finder ", the difference is represented this way: Company store appear to be listed as either "Cingular Wireless Company Owned Store" or simply "Cingular Wireless".

These will presumeably be changing to AT&T in the coming weeks. Other stores are either listed by their name, or they are listed as "Cingular Wireless--Authorized Retailer". Calls to resellers have gotten very inconclusive responses regarding the availability of the phone on the 29th, one store representative said, "They're not telling us anything." Most AT&T company stores however, have answered affirmatively, citing the following information:
    • First come, first serve (no waiting lists)

• AT&T stores (and possibly Apple as well) will be cleared, and closed at 6PM for normal business

• AT&T stores (and possibly Apple as well) will re-open for iPhone sales at 6PM

• AT&T stores (and possibly Apple as well) tentatively expect to be open until 10PM

• Customers of other carriers can expect:
      • Required: PHONE NUMBER and ACCOUNT NUMBER (from other carrier)

• Phone calls will work on both phones for 3 hours

• iPhone will get a text message saying when the switch is completed

• Do NOT CANCEL from your previous carrier, if you wish to keep your number

• Currently, Apple stores are NOT "cross-trained" nor are they AT&T employees, planning ONLY to sell iPhones, without the carrier service that would enable phone calls. One store representative remarked, "We plan to sell the iPhone just like any other Apple product." As of right now, customers may be expected to then seek an AT&T store, or to complete their sign-up/switch process over the web. These details may change or be made clearer in the coming weeks.

Rumors have suggested that AT&T stores will only be outfitted with 40 phones each, but when asked, stores repeatedly stated that this information was not yet known. Interested buyers should definitely call ahead and check/confirm their individual store's shipments strategy on launch day.

It's looking more and more and more like its going to be crazy. I'm hoping this is all just like "Snakes on a Plane", and I won't have any trouble... but then again, I hope it is...

~ CB
  • Reply 47 of 64
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    EXISTING at&t plans would be 70-90 bucks.

nationwide 450 rollover is $40, smartphone MAX is $30. [Smartphone MAX includes unlimited data usage (email, MEdia™ Net, internet browsing) plus 1500 messages that include text, picture, video, and instant messages. Additional messages are $.03. Use with Smartphone plans with voice.] that $69+taxes.

$89 with 900 rollover minutes. both include 5000 night/weekend minutes.

5 bucks more for unlimited messaging. personally 1500 is more than plenty for me.

Kavik get your facts straight before you start bashing att. Stick w/ tee-mobile and be pissed off every time you see some1 w/ an iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

EXISTING at&t plans would be 70-90 bucks.

nationwide 450 rollover is $40, smartphone MAX is $30. [Smartphone MAX includes unlimited data usage (email, MEdia? Net, internet browsing) plus 1500 messages that include text, picture, video, and instant messages. Additional messages are $.03. Use with Smartphone plans with voice.] that $69+taxes.

$89 with 900 rollover minutes. both include 5000 night/weekend minutes.

5 bucks more for unlimited messaging. personally 1500 is more than plenty for me.

Kavik get your facts straight before you start bashing att. Stick w/ tee-mobile and be pissed off every time you see some1 w/ an iPhone.

Given the likely bandwidth demands of the iPhone I don't think "Smartphone MAX" is the reasonable point of comparison. The BlackBerry Connect/PDA thing looks like a closer match, at $45. 900 voice minutes at $50 plus the current PDA plan is $95, unbundled.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Given the likely bandwidth demands of the iPhone I don't think "Smartphone MAX" is the reasonable point of comparison. The BlackBerry Connect/PDA thing looks like a closer match, at $45. 900 voice minutes at $50 plus the current PDA plan is $95, unbundled.

it's still edge transfer, not 3g... and most [90%] of the surfing i do will be via wifi.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

it's still edge transfer, not 3g... and most [90%] of the surfing i do will be via wifi.

Which means it would be good for you if AT&T allowed you to pick your data plan based on your anticipated usage, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think the pricing will be lower than many expect. Since the phone isn't subsidized AT&T doesn't have to rape the customers on service charges to make their profits. Also, since edge will drop out and wifi will kick in as soon as you are in range of an available 802.11 signal AT&T will be spending less money on supporting data uses.

Any ideas on what other joint options we may see down the road besides Visual Voicemail?

It looks like AT&T is doing it again. While the big US carriers are looking to support Clearwire's WiMax (4G), AT&T has officially stated that they are going to hold out for the next big tech. Pretty lame considering the don't even have wide coverage of 3G at this point.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the pricing will be lower than many expect. Since the phone isn't subsidized AT&T doesn't have to rape the customers on service charges to make their profits. Also, since edge will drop out and wifi will kick in as soon as you are in range of an available 802.11 signal AT&T will be spending less money on supporting data uses.

A $20 swing on the plan equals $480 over the life of the plan, so the equivalent "subsidy" would have to be basically giving the phone away. Maybe a $10 discount on what they "would have" charged would make sense from a balance sheet perspective, but even then they'll charge whatever they think they can get away with-- unless Apple negotiated some limits.

Quote:

Any ideas on what other joint options we may see down the road besides Visual Voicemail?

Maybe some .Mac action that ties in with AT&Ts services? Or not-- seems like Apple is doing everything they can to make the iPhone separate from the usual carrier cripple-ware versions of things.

Quote:

It looks like AT&T is doing it again. While the big US carriers are looking to support Clearwire's WiMax (4G), AT&T has officially stated that they are going to hold out for the next big tech. Pretty lame considering the don't even have wide coverage of 3G at this point.

Maybe they should just announce that they're holding out for sub-cortical implants and they're not going to do anything until that becomes practical.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Sorry, but you've got another problem. Apple has already said you cannot use the iPhone as a modem for a computer.

Demand will be huge early (form the mac-heads who gots to have it), but will most likely wane quickly, especially when details of the device and plans become available (the lack of even basic information should worry most people about what they think it will do and cost and what reality will be - for example, how quickly can one type on this thing and are there apps to compose documents and the like (real apps, not on-line apps that aren't always available), can you turn off the predictive typing, how durable is it, how many speed dial/shortcut options does it have, or is it all click-find-click to do anything, how well does the mail app work, how much can be done on the phone vs. setting things up on a computer and then syncing over).

Except for the "Apple/iPod/Cool/Fad" factor, there's very little about the iPhone that's revolutionary or different to warrant the money to be spent. (Of course, the desire of many over a product in which so few details are known could result in a lot of poor feeling towards apple if it doesn't live up to the hype - not Apple's hype, but user's hype and expectations).

Is that a crystal ball in your hands or a crack pipe? Seriously, what is it with people that they must find something to complain about while trying to convince others that they are smart? I sometimes think people on this forum would complain if Apple bundled a supermodel and a lamborghini with the iPhone for $499 because of the cost of expensive dinners and gas.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by busaganashi View Post

Is that a crystal ball in your hands or a crack pipe? Seriously, what is it with people that they must find something to complain about while trying to convince others that they are smart? I sometimes think people on this forum would complain if Apple bundled a supermodel and a lamborghini with the iPhone for $499 because of the cost of expensive dinners and gas.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot where I was. Apparently everyone is allowed to smoke crack and use the crystal ball to tell everyone what a killer product it is and how everyone will own one and its revolutionary and everything else, but try to ask "Why will it be this?" or look at it with a little less of Steve's RDF and Apple-fanboy mentality, and all of a sudden I'm just trying to convince people how smart I am and just complaining.

If you re-read my post, it wasn't complaints on how bad this or that is, its a complaint that so little information is known about the product. No one here has actually used it, yet so many talk about how incredible it is. Amazing, pose simple questions, and you're basically considered a troll.

Then again, I have to take with a grain of salt comments about a product that they're willing to plunk down $600 for without actually knowing anything about the product except what they want you to know. Those saying they'll standing in line to get one have no basis for objectivity until, at the very least, they get one.

But, here's your chance. Answer the questions? How well will it type (you're not going to bring in a mass of texters if it types slow, or if the predictive typing causes you to constantly pay attention to what you're doing)? How is it going to stand up to being dropped on concrete (if my $50 phone can do it without cracking or breaking, one would think a $500 device better be as durable)? What about the iphone that is so revolutionary and incredible that it will cause the non-geek mass to just have to have it?
  • Reply 55 of 64
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Quote:

No bashing here...the facts are clear that AT&T would charge me $159 to get the (almost) equivalent plan that I now have with T-Mobile for $69. Now if the iPhone does not support tethering (which I confirmed elsewhere and which may be a deal breaker for me) that changes things and may end up reducing prices.

However, if you look at AT&T's plans for BlackBerry devices (which is probably the best comparison), you can see that the minimum you can get away with is a $39.99 voice plan (450 minutes) + $34.99 (Blackberry unlimited data) = $74.98/month. This *doesn't* include text (SMS) messages or instant messaging. The Blackberry Personal Max with 1500 Messages with M2M Messaging costs $49.99 which would make it $89.98 monthly. I need at least the 900 minute plan which is $59.99 which would cost me $109.98/month total. I think these numbers are in the ballpark at least for the initial launch/first six months.

There's are great thread over at iLounge on the topic:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=198354

This quote makes the same point I did:

how can Apple+at&t be so mute on the requisite pricing plans structure when we know the phone will be available June 29th, it will start being sold at 6p, it's $499/$599 for hardware, all this official info and yet stoutly NO mention by either company of what the pricing will be per month.

I'm concerned this silence could mean they are holding off negative response on 'controversial' plans they will force the iPhone to require. For instance - any new BlackBerry with Verizon requires one of only three available specialized service plans at the $80, $110, $170 level per month (BEFORE taxes OR texting plans). If at&t is greedy, and strong-armed Apple into requiring similar custom plans, this will probably upset many non-hardcore iPhone fans who would be willing to sock the high hardware cost, but not eat a continual monthly premium to carry the phone for the next 24 months.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

No bashing here...the facts are clear that AT&T would charge me $159 to get the (almost) equivalent plan that I now have with T-Mobile for $69. Now if the iPhone does not support tethering (which I confirmed elsewhere and which may be a deal breaker for me) that changes things and may end up reducing prices.

However, if you look at AT&T's plans for BlackBerry devices (which is probably the best comparison), you can see that the minimum you can get away with is a $39.99 voice plan (450 minutes) + $34.99 (Blackberry unlimited data) = $74.98/month. This *doesn't* include text (SMS) messages or instant messaging. The Blackberry Personal Max with 1500 Messages with M2M Messaging costs $49.99 which would make it $89.98 monthly. I need at least the 900 minute plan which is $59.99 which would cost me $109.98/month total. I think these numbers are in the ballpark at least for the initial launch/first six months.

I don't claim to know anything on the subject, and am only marginally interested in the iPhone. However, I think that you need to look at the intended market for this device to get an idea of where the pricing will be. Apple has stated I believe that this is a consumer device, not a corporate device. The BlackBerry is more of a corporate decive than a consumer one. If AT&T want to sell to the consumer they will need a price point that won't scare off the consumer, particularly the one who is paying the bills for their child's cellphone plan. Therefore I think that the monthly price will be on the lower end, with Apple/AT&T banking on the fact that the iPhone will automatically switch to a WiFi connection is one is available which will help lower the bandwidth load on the cellular network.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

I don't claim to know anything on the subject, and am only marginally interested in the iPhone. However, I think that you need to look at the intended market for this device to get an idea of where the pricing will be. Apple has stated I believe that this is a consumer device, not a corporate device. The BlackBerry is more of a corporate decive than a consumer one. If AT&T want to sell to the consumer they will need a price point that won't scare off the consumer, particularly the one who is paying the bills for their child's cellphone plan. Therefore I think that the monthly price will be on the lower end, with Apple/AT&T banking on the fact that the iPhone will automatically switch to a WiFi connection is one is available which will help lower the bandwidth load on the cellular network.

Just goes to show you how bad the pricing plan must be. As was stated above, we can do all the snarking and bickering over what we think the plans will cost or should cost, but it is unimaginable that neither company can release any information about a product less then two weeks from its unveiling.

I wouldn't care if Apple hadn't officially announced the phone (you know, you don't see specs or pricing of 'unannounced' products prior to, say, a MW expo). But if you're going to announce a product 6 months before its available, and hype it from then about how great it will be, maybe you could give people more information then "Look, you can find Calamari in Frisco!" Hell, people spent days trying to determine/guess if the thing has GPS-like functionality in discussion of the commercials. Or can it do something simple like Flash? Let alone "How much a month is it going to cost?"

But all we get is the silence as if they're saying "Let's not tell them, they might decide not to stand in line to get it".
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Just goes to show you how bad the pricing plan must be. As was stated above, we can do all the snarking and bickering over what we think the plans will cost or should cost, but it is unimaginable that neither company can release any information about a product less then two weeks from its unveiling.

I wouldn't care if Apple hadn't officially announced the phone (you know, you don't see specs or pricing of 'unannounced' products prior to, say, a MW expo). But if you're going to announce a product 6 months before its available, and hype it from then about how great it will be, maybe you could give people more information then "Look, you can find Calamari in Frisco!" Hell, people spent days trying to determine/guess if the thing has GPS-like functionality in discussion of the commercials. Or can it do something simple like Flash? Let alone "How much a month is it going to cost?"

But all we get is the silence as if they're saying "Let's not tell them, they might decide not to stand in line to get it".

I'm not sure if I buy that. If the price of the plan is enough to make people change their minds two weeks out, wouldn't it be enough to make people change their minds a day or two out, or a week out, or whenever they announce it?

I don't think even Apple, or certainly not AT&T, would wait until you got to the front of the line to spring it on you, and even if they did I would think that would make you less, not more, likely to go through with the purchase.

Do you really think "the plan" is to let people actually start the transaction before being told that the phone requires a (insert crippling high-cost here) plan? And anyway, the news is out after the first phone is purchased.

I think it's also possible, given today's battery and screen announcement, that Apple has a little "under promise and over deliver" thing going on here, and they intend to drop bits of "good news" here and there over the next two weeks. Or, maybe even more likely, Apple is still furiously negotiating with AT&T over pricing plans.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not sure if I buy that. If the price of the plan is enough to make people change their minds two weeks out, wouldn't it be enough to make people change their minds a day or two out, or a week out, or whenever they announce it?

I don't think even Apple, or certainly not AT&T, would wait until you got to the front of the line to spring it on you, and even if they did I would think that would make you less, not more, likely to go through with the purchase.

For those getting the iPhone no matter what, it probably won't matter what the plan costs are or when you find out. But the last thing that Apple wants now (should the plans truly be stratospheric) is for the pundits to focus on the true ownership costs rather than the "truly magical product" itself, or the frenzy surrounding the launch on the 29th. If they wait until right up to launch (a day or two beforehand), there won't be enough time for the naysayers to crush the hype.

I would think that if the iPhone plans were "revolutionary" or "shaking up the wireless industry" (e.g. 1000 voice minutes with unlimited data/text/messaging for around $49 to $59 a month) we would have heard about it a long time ago. Though one can hope...
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:

For those getting the iPhone no matter what, it probably won't matter what the plan costs are or when you find out. But the last thing that Apple wants now (should the plans truly be stratospheric) is for the pundits to focus on the true ownership costs rather than the "truly magical product" itself, or the frenzy surrounding the launch on the 29th. If they wait until right up to launch (a day or two beforehand), there won't be enough time for the naysayers to crush the hype.

I would think that if the iPhone plans were "revolutionary" or "shaking up the wireless industry" (e.g. 1000 voice minutes with unlimited data/text/messaging for around $49 to $59 a month) we would have heard about it a long time ago. Though one can hope...

Yeah, but the first day's sales don't make or break the thing, right? So if the plans are real bad news, does it matter that much if the hype gets crushed the week before or the day after?

I would think that, if the rates are sort of grim, that they would want to soften the blow by just biting the bullet and getting the info out there, and letting it sink in a bit.

And anyway, there's no reason to think that the rates will be significantly higher than what people are paying for smart phones now, so I can't see where in-the-ballpark plans would cause all that much consternation, unless people are assuming they can surf the internet for the same money they are paying for 400 talk minutes.

And if that's the case, the quicker they get educated the better.

And if the iPhone does, in fact, feature mandatory, burdensome plans upwards of $100 a month, it doesn't really matter anyway, because rioting iPhone fanatics will end civilization as we know it.