Few Questions...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello guys I currently am in the iStuff craze. I love Apple and their sleek designs and I currently do not own an Apple computer, but I am planning on getting a Mac Book. I have a few questions below:

Quote:

Should I get Apple Protection Care?

Quote:

If so why?

Quote:

How does Adobe Photoshop CS2 run on the 2.16 GHZ Mac Book?

Quote:

Should I get a 1 GB Memory card then upgrade it with a custom bought one?

Quote:

What is the max GB Hard drive I can upgrade with the Mac Book?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaUserbarMaker View Post

Hello guys I currently am in the iStuff craze. I love Apple and their sleek designs and I currently do not own an Apple computer, but I am planning on getting a Mac Book. I have a few questions below:

Humorously, putting your questions in quotes means you can't see them in the reply field, but let me try from memory:

-- Yes.

-- Because laptops are subject to much higher risk of damage than desktops, are much easier to damage than desktops, have higher component rates of failure than desktops, and are harder to work on yourself than desktops. I guess I'm saying that in general it's a good idea to get some kind of insurance for laptops.

--OK, not stellar. Sort of depends on how much heavy lifting you plan to do. CS3 is much faster due to Intel native goodness.

-- Yes

-- As big a laptop drive as you can get/afford. HDD on the MacBook is super easy to swap out.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    yes APP is a must. i agree with addabox .You can also get a discount on APP if you call 1800-applecare if you are a student or work in any edu institution
  • Reply 3 of 5
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I never buy this type of insurance on anything. But I have a risk taker's personality. I would actually fret about wasting $ on Applecare instead of fretting over not buying it. But that's me. If you are the warranty buying type, buy it for peace of mind. If you are a newbie, buy it for the free genius time. If you never call or use the warranty of things because you baby your equipment and can fix it yourself most of the time, spend the money on toys.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    PS: you can always extend your warranty down the road. You don't have to cough up when you first buy the machine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey View Post

PS: you can always extend your warranty down the road. You don't have to cough up when you first buy the machine.

True, dat.

I am relentlessly anti-extended warranty on pretty much everything but laptops, since in that case the item cost/risk-of-damage ratio strikes me as making some insurance a not unreasonable bet.

Unlike, say, all the sub-$500 items that almost never fail that Best Buy is so eager to sell you an extended warranty for.