Annoyed with my Apple Service - S-Video Problems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello folk, I'm new here,

I bought an 8-core Mac pro from an Apple Centre last week. Spent my life savings on it. Have worked on macs for about 17 years now and have finally bought one for my home to do extra work/learn on. Though it completely cleaned me out financially I hope it was worth it.

When I ordered the mac I specfically said I needed a S-video out for video editing and playing TV and the guy said no problems you just need this Apple DVI-Svideo connector.

Anyway as I'm sure some of you know this only works with ATI1900 NOT nVidia 7300s. The guy in the shop is claiming we never had this conversation which means it's his word against mine.

So now I've a machine that I can't connect to my main PAL (I'm in Europe) TV and to be honest no way of connecting it without paying for another graphics card. The Apple TV is no solution either (and extremely overpriced here in Europe - 299euros) as it's HDTV only.

Unless anyone has any cheaper solutions. Is there a basic S-Video card for a MacPro out there? I can't seem to find one.

cheers M

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StructAural View Post

I bought an 8-core Mac pro from an Apple Centre last week. Spent my life savings on it. Have worked on macs for about 17 years now and have finally bought one for my home to do extra work/learn on. Though it completely cleaned me out financially I hope it was worth it.

I would have gone for the quad instead of blowing the whole lot on an octo. Most apps and the OS aren't optimized for 8 processors yet.

Quote:

When I ordered the mac I specfically said I needed a S-video out for video editing and playing TV and the guy said no problems you just need this Apple DVI-Svideo connector.

Anyway as I'm sure some of you know this only works with ATI1900 NOT nVidia 7300s. The guy in the shop is claiming we never had this conversation which means it's his word against mine.

I would have thought the adaptor would work. What happened when you plugged it in?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    We...llll, you're probably right

But it's nice to have something that will get better for a while rather than worse. 64 bit Leopard will be... quick.

I mainly use it for Cinema 4d which uses all cores very well

Nothing happened when I plugged it in - couldn't detect. Same goes for the Apple TV. I found an Apple tech page that says it won't work with the 7300 - only the XT1900. Oh well - I'm trying to find a cheap S- Video adapter but no luck so far...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Can't you return it for the model with the other graphics card?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Problem is I can't afford the better card anyway - I just wish they'd known about it the shop. Even their helpdesk seems to think that the S-Video adapter will work with the nVidia.

I'm over it now - this thing rocks! and the headphone socket is okay - turned out to be my iPod headphones - my daughter had used one headphone as a dummy

Anyone managed to get an S-Video to work on an Apple TV? - that would be the same solution for the MacPro.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I mainly use it for Cinema 4d which uses all cores very well

In that case you made the right choice. 3D rendering definitely needs as much as you can throw at it.

Quote:

Nothing happened when I plugged it in - couldn't detect. Same goes for the Apple TV. I found an Apple tech page that says it won't work with the 7300 - only the XT1900. Oh well - I'm trying to find a cheap S- Video adapter but no luck so far...

Didn't you try s-video already?

What TV is it btw? Does it have HDMI or VGA:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=TH573LL/A

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M8754G/A

Some HDTVs even have standard DVI inputs. I've hooked up a powerbook to one before that way. s-video is an old connection type.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In that case you made the right choice. 3D rendering definitely needs as much as you can throw at it.

Didn't you try s-video already?

What TV is it btw? Does it have HDMI or VGA:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=TH573LL/A

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M8754G/A

Some HDTVs even have standard DVI inputs. I've hooked up a powerbook to one before that way. s-video is an old connection type.

it's just a standard (quite old) Sony Trinitron - I hoped I wouldn't have to buy a HD TV yet... It only has SCART and S-Video inputs...

The 3D has become more fun again - even 1 of these cores would be faster than the old Pentium 4 I was using :-D

I'm looking for a good (no more than 200euro) media hub now but I haven't found a decent one yet. No luck with working S-video cards for the macpro either unless I spend an a lot of money. Everything else is superb on the machine - it's just a shame to not have a standard tv out on the thing... almost every PC I've owned has had that (on the graphics card) so I'm used to it...