Tech Question: complications of installing Leopord ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Question about getting a computer now and upgrading to Lepord when it comes out, or to get a computer after Lepord is released.

Does installing Leopord on top of Tiger take up more HD space than a computer that has Lepord preinstalled?

With regard to all of the Apps that I plan on buying, and files that I have. Could any complecations arize from having all of that stuff on a computer before I upgrad the OS?

And one last question. I used to be a windows guy. When I purchased the Windows XP upgrade, after having Windows 98, I discovered that when there came a time when I needed to earse the HD and reinstall the OS. I could not reinstall XP by itself. I had to Install Windows 98, and then install Windows XP.

Would this be the case on a Mac too. If I ever need to do a complete earse and install, will I have to install Tiger and then Leopord?

I would really like to get a Macbook Pro now, but I don't know if it would be safer to wait for the until the new OS has been included.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Installing over the top does not appreciably increased disk space use. There may be some leftover preference files, etc, but the upgrade installers have been quite intelligent in the past. Maybe a couple hundred KB?

No, no complications from pre-existing files.

You will be able to install from scratch, if previous upgrade discs are any indication.

FWIW, I have an old server that started life with MacOS 9 on it, and has been through every upgrade since, including the major jump to OS X. I've never had to erase the drive, or really, even think about doing so.